Smoothie Recipes?

Options
I am not a very experienced smoothie maker but I am not crazy about eating fruit by itsself and I think it would be easier for me if I were to make a smoothie. BUTTTT I have no idea what to put in them. The only smoothie I ever made was yogurt, soy milk, and strawberries. Does anyone have any awesome smoothie recipes so I can go smoothie ingredient shopping? lol. PS. I HATE oranges.

Replies

• pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    You know something that is good and sooo easy. Freeze a banana and blend it with a cup of fat free milk-or whatever milk product you use. Simple and pretty good!!
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    Green Monster Smoothie
    Ingredients
    3 handfuls of baby spinach
    1 cup fresh pineapple chunks (or 2/3 of a can of pineapple in juice)
    1 (frozen) banana
    big handful of strawberries
    1 cup coconut water, unsweetened OR unsweetened almond milk
    1/3 cup cold milled ground flax seed
    Fresh mint, optional---and great if you have it growing in your garden. :)
    Instructions
    Place everything in a blender. Blend until smooth.
    Adapted from: www.eatcleandiet.com/the_kitchen_table/recipe/recipe.aspx?id=1440

Cilantro Smoothie
    Serves: 1
    1/2 cup frozen mango (I just use the fleshy part of a whole fresh one)
    1/2 cup frozen pineapple (I used pineapple canned with juice today about 1/3 of a can)
    1 large handful (up to a bunch) fresh cilantro (or parsley)
    1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (I left this out today---whoops!)
    1 very small knob fresh ginger (peel the bark off of a 1" piece)
    1/3 cup cold milled (ground) golden flax seed (I buy a big bag at Sam's for $10)
    Toss all ingredients in a high speed blender and process until smooth and creamy. Drink at once.

Adapted from http://cleancuisineandmore.com/raw-eating-recipes-green-smoothie-recipes-that-taste-great/

The Incredible Hulk (green smoothie)

Ingredients:

2 cups fresh baby spinach, rinsed
    1 Granny Smith green apple, cored
    1 banana, peeled
    1 orange, peeled
    1 tsp. grated fresh ginger (or 1/2 tsp. ground ginger)
    Method:
    Combine all ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth and well-combined.
    http://gimmesomeoven.com/green-smoothie/
    (I like to add a little unsweetened almond milk and ground flax seed to further boost the nutrional content and "full factor" on all my smoothies...So, add 'em)

Blueberry-Banana Smoothie (with Kale)
    3/4 cup frozen blueberries
    1 frozen banana
    1/4 cup organic coconut milk
    1/4 cup ice cold water
    1 cup chopped kale
    Optional: 1 tablespoon agave nectar or raw honey
    Toss all ingredients in a high speed blender and process until smooth and creamy. Drink at once.

http://cleancuisineandmore.com/raw-eating-recipes-green-smoothie-recipes-that-taste-great/

Pumpkin Pie Smoothie (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Refined Sugar Free + More Free)

1 cup pumpkin puree, chilled (fresh or canned)
    ½ cup full-fat coconut milk, chilled
    ½ cup filtered water
    1 sliced, frozen ripe banana
    1 tbsp almond flour (optional)
    1 tbsp hemp seed (optional)
    A tablespoon or two of honey (or agave nectar), to taste
    ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice, or more to taste
    Honey cinnamon whipped cream, optional for topping (see recipe below)
    My note: I used cold milled ground flax seed in place of the flour and hemp seeds. It was delicious and thick. :)
    Prepare glasses by dipping rims into shallow bowl of water and then cinnamon-sugar mixture.

Combine all ingredients in blender. Cover and blend on high until smooth, about 30 to 60 seconds.

Pour into prepared glasses or pint-sized Mason jars as the author did. Top with a small dollop of honey cinnamon whipped cream. Serve.

Honey Cinnamon Whipped Cream

1 cup of coconut “cream”
    ¼ cup honey
    ½ tsp cinnamon, to taste

The day or night before preparing, chill one can of coconut milk, your mixing bowl, and beaters in refrigerator. (I try to keep 2 cans of full-fat coconut milk in the refrigerator at all times for making ice cream and whipped cream.) Skim about one cup of the “cream” off the top … that’s what I’m calling the thick, non-liquid substance that forms when you refrigerate full-fat coconut milk for at least 24 hours in the coldest part of your refrigerator. Add the coconut cream to a chilled bowl. Whip coconut cream with chilled beaters until it reaches its whipped cream state. Gradually add honey, then cinnamon. Whip again until it turns to whipped cream with at least soft peaks remaining when you stop whipping. (Chill whipped cream if you are not going to use immediately. Save remaining whipped cream for pie recipe, which will be shared later this week.)

Original recipes by Shirley Braden

Shirley’s Notes: This smoothie recipe was inspired by a recipe from the Mother Nature News Network. That recipe used pumpkin, evaporated milk, and yogurt only. This smoothie recipe is more allergen-free and also packs more of a nutritional punch while still offering a luscious pumpkin pie-flavored treat. Note that I used fresh pumpkin puree, which is lighter in color than canned pumpkin. Fresh pumpkin puree also has a higher moisture content than canned pumpkin, so if using canned pumpkin, you may need to add additional water to get your smoothie to the right drinking consistency. (I baked my sugar pumpkins whole this time, following the method that clever Kelly of The Spunky Coconut uses. Baking via that method yields the very beautiful pumpkins shown in the series badge.) Chia seed can be used instead of hemp seed. I used hemp because it is less noticeable in the mixture. If serving this smoothie to children, hemp seed might be preferable. If your ingredients for the smoothie aren’t already chilled and your banana is not sliced and frozen, just add several ice cubes when blending to achieve the same effect. However, Honey Cinnamon Whipped Cream does require chilling of coconut milk at least overnight, preferably longer, so plan ahead. Be sure to dip your glasses into date sugar and cinnamon to keep this smoothie refined sugar free. Demerera sugar, a less refined sugar, can also be used for those who are not super sensitive.
    Find more recipes like this at http://www.glutenfreeeasily.com/
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Yogurt, cocoa powder, and peanut butter, along with protein powder of your choice, and milk(or liquid of choice)
  • kcaleca
    kcaleca Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love this one and have it every am!

Emergen-C - Raspberry Flavored Fizzy Drink Mix, 1 packet
    Lily of the Desert - Aloe Vera Juice Whole Leaf Filtered, 2 Fl oz.
    Tropicana Trop50 - Orange Juice 50% Less Sugar, Pulp Free, 8 oz
    Target Market Pantry - Whey Protein Powder - Vanilla, 1 scoop
    Generic - Strawberries Frozen 1/2 Cup
    Generic - Blueberries Frozen 1 Cup
    Benefiber - Fiber , 2 tsp.
  • southernbelle39
    Options
    Here is the smoothie I make. If you want, I'm sure you could substitute the orange sherbert for yogurt.

4 strawberries
    1/2 banana
    1/2 cup orange sherbert (add more or less to taste)
    1/3 cup of either orange juice or pineapple juice (add more or less to taste) and I'm sure more juices would go well with this.
    6 ice cubes

and blend.

To make it thinner, add more juice. To make it thicker, add more ice, fruit, or sherbert, Mine usually is a good consistency though.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Mine is pretty basic. 1/2 cup 1%milk, a few tablespoons of yogurt, frozen berries ( I usually get fresh and cut and freeze them myself), and a scoop of unflavored protein powder, and sometimes I add a little water so it's runnier.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I Love to make this, so easy on a hot day!

1 Banana
    1 tbs of Honey
    Lots of Mint leaves (I have tons growing in my garden!)
    about a cup of Skim Milk
    and Ice

Yummo!
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I mix whatever fruit I have on hand....frozen makes it thicker and colder.

These are my usual ingredients: 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup frozen strawberries and 1/4 cup of either mango, pineapple, blueberries or peaches. Sometimes I will add peanut butter or honey. Throw it in the blender with almond milk and yogurt. My kids love them too. Usually around 200 calories. If you have iphone or ipod touch there's app called Smoothie Selector.
  • gsterlingdiva02
    Options
    Yougurt, fruit of your choice, and 1 cup of juice of your choice.
    I normally do 1 cup of orange or pineapple juice, with frozen pineapple and blueberries.
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I make these lots! I like fat free yoghurt drink (any flavour), frozen banana, frozen berries and crushed ice. I add protein powder to that. So you can mix it up with whatever berries you have. Boyfriend likes strawberries, I like blueberries and blackberries the most. A nice treat one, when you have free calories, is a tablespoon of peanut butter, skimmed milk, cinnamon and frozen banana. There are also sugar free syrups which you can add which are great.

Carrots are also good in smoothies - just grate them, as is apple. Don't try grapes, the skin is horrible.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Green Monster Smoothie
    Ingredients
    3 handfuls of baby spinach
    1 cup fresh pineapple chunks (or 2/3 of a can of pineapple in juice)
    1 (frozen) banana
    big handful of strawberries
    1 cup coconut water, unsweetened OR unsweetened almond milk
    1/3 cup cold milled ground flax seed
    Fresh mint, optional---and great if you have it growing in your garden. :)
    Instructions
    Place everything in a blender. Blend until smooth.
    Adapted from: www.eatcleandiet.com/the_kitchen_table/recipe/recipe.aspx?id=1440

Cilantro Smoothie
    1/2 cup frozen mango (I just use the fleshy part of a whole fresh one)
    1/2 cup frozen pineapple (I used pineapple canned with juice today about 1/3 of a can)
    1 large handful (up to a bunch) fresh cilantro (or parsley)
    1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (I left this out today---whoops!)
    1 very small knob fresh ginger (peel the bark off of a 1" piece)
    1/3 cup cold milled (ground) golden flax seed (I buy a big bag at Sam's for $10)

Adapted from http://cleancuisineandmore.com/raw-eating-recipes-green-smoothie-recipes-that-taste-great/

The Incredible Hulk (green smoothie)

Ingredients:

2 cups fresh baby spinach, rinsed
    1 Granny Smith green apple, cored
    1 banana, peeled
    1 orange, peeled
    1 tsp. grated fresh ginger (or 1/2 tsp. ground ginger)
    Method:
    Combine all ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth and well-combined.
    http://gimmesomeoven.com/green-smoothie/
    (I like to add a little unsweetened almond milk and ground flax seed to further boost the nutrional content and "full factor" on all my smoothies...So, add 'em)

Blueberry-Banana Smoothie (with Kale)
    3/4 cup frozen blueberries
    1 frozen banana
    1/4 cup organic coconut milk
    1/4 cup ice cold water
    1 cup chopped kale
    Optional: 1 tablespoon agave nectar or raw honey

http://cleancuisineandmore.com/raw-eating-recipes-green-smoothie-recipes-that-taste-great/

Pumpkin Pie Smoothie (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Refined Sugar Free + More Free)

1 cup pumpkin puree, chilled (fresh or canned)
    ½ cup full-fat coconut milk, chilled
    ½ cup filtered water
    1 sliced, frozen ripe banana
    1 tbsp almond flour (optional)
    1 tbsp hemp seed (optional)
    A tablespoon or two of honey (or agave nectar), to taste
    ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice, or more to taste
    Honey cinnamon whipped cream, optional for topping (see recipe below)
    My note: I used cold milled ground flax seed in place of the flour and hemp seeds. It was delicious and thick. :)
    Prepare glasses by dipping rims into shallow bowl of water and then cinnamon-sugar mixture.

Combine all ingredients in blender. Cover and blend on high until smooth, about 30 to 60 seconds.

Pour into prepared glasses or pint-sized Mason jars as the author did. Top with a small dollop of honey cinnamon whipped cream. Serve.

Honey Cinnamon Whipped Cream

1 cup of coconut “cream”
    ¼ cup honey
    ½ tsp cinnamon, to taste

The day or night before preparing, chill one can of coconut milk, your mixing bowl, and beaters in refrigerator. (I try to keep 2 cans of full-fat coconut milk in the refrigerator at all times for making ice cream and whipped cream.) Skim about one cup of the “cream” off the top … that’s what I’m calling the thick, non-liquid substance that forms when you refrigerate full-fat coconut milk for at least 24 hours in the coldest part of your refrigerator. Add the coconut cream to a chilled bowl. Whip coconut cream with chilled beaters until it reaches its whipped cream state. Gradually add honey, then cinnamon. Whip again until it turns to whipped cream with at least soft peaks remaining when you stop whipping. (Chill whipped cream if you are not going to use immediately. Save remaining whipped cream for pie recipe, which will be shared later this week.)

Original recipes by Shirley Braden

Shirley’s Notes: This smoothie recipe was inspired by a recipe from the Mother Nature News Network. That recipe used pumpkin, evaporated milk, and yogurt only. This smoothie recipe is more allergen-free and also packs more of a nutritional punch while still offering a luscious pumpkin pie-flavored treat. Note that I used fresh pumpkin puree, which is lighter in color than canned pumpkin. Fresh pumpkin puree also has a higher moisture content than canned pumpkin, so if using canned pumpkin, you may need to add additional water to get your smoothie to the right drinking consistency. (I baked my sugar pumpkins whole this time, following the method that clever Kelly of The Spunky Coconut uses. Baking via that method yields the very beautiful pumpkins shown in the series badge.) Chia seed can be used instead of hemp seed. I used hemp because it is less noticeable in the mixture. If serving this smoothie to children, hemp seed might be preferable. If your ingredients for the smoothie aren’t already chilled and your banana is not sliced and frozen, just add several ice cubes when blending to achieve the same effect. However, Honey Cinnamon Whipped Cream does require chilling of coconut milk at least overnight, preferably longer, so plan ahead. Be sure to dip your glasses into date sugar and cinnamon to keep this smoothie refined sugar free. Demerera sugar, a less refined sugar, can also be used for those who are not super sensitive.
    Find more recipes like this at http://www.glutenfreeeasily.com/

You are the smoothie queen
  • chevysarah
    chevysarah Posts: 188
    Options
    bump! these all sound great! I need to make notes!
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this, I was JUST coming here to scour the site for smoothie ideas!
  • FabCheeky
    Options
    You are the smoothie queen
    hahaha Thanks! I have a lot of gut damage from years of improper eating. Smoothies help your body digest better...PLUS I'm usually super busy. So, this helps me get food on the run and nourish my goals.
  • FabCheeky
    Options
    You guys should also check out this website:
    http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2011/04/sleepy-smoothies/
    Her smoothies are great, and you can usually assemble them inside your blender---put them in the fridge---and then blend and serve in the morning.
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    here's one I love!

3-4 strawberries
    5-6 raspberries
    1 med banana
    2-3 pineapple slices
    orange juice for consistency
    ice
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I mix whatever fruit I have on hand....frozen makes it thicker and colder.

These are my usual ingredients: 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup frozen strawberries and 1/4 cup of either mango, pineapple, blueberries or peaches. Sometimes I will add peanut butter or honey. Throw it in the blender with almond milk and yogurt. My kids love them too. Usually around 200 calories. If you have iphone or ipod touch there's app called Smoothie Selector.

Yes! Frozen fruit makes it thicker; like a milkshake! I feel like I'm cheating every time I make a shake after my workout....
    4 - 5oz original light almond milk
    140g frozen berries (I buy a mix at Costco) ... sometimes less berries and add 1/2 a banana
    1/2 - 1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder

Low cal, low sugar, high protein = YUM!

Edit to add:
    I personally do not ever use any juice... it just adds extra calories and sugar.
  • Yummymummy135
    Options
    bump
  • bluehenjen
    bluehenjen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I highly, highly recommend Jay Robb's vanilla whey (or egg) protein powder for smoothies. I've tried a LOT of protein powders and it is really the best tasting one out there (and no, I'm in no way affiliate with the Jay Robb company). I also really like using unsweetened coconut milk and coconut milk yogurt for my smoothies.

My standard smoothie:
    8 oz unsweeted So Delicious coconut milk
    1 scoop Jay Robb vanilla protein powder (whey)
    4 oz So Delicious vanilla coconut milk yogurt
    3/4 cup frozen fruit (usually I freeze fresh strawberries when they're in season; otherwise I use the King Soopers frozen smoothie blend (pineapple, strawberries, mango)
    Handful of spinach (it doesn't add any sort of spinach-y taste and is a great way to get leafy greens)

Tastes like a strawberry milkshake and under 240 calories. Delicious!
  • danielleeeee
    Options
    Yum! Some great sounding recipes!