Vanity sizing

2»

Replies

• FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    http://www.rodcollins.com/wordpress/what-dress-size-or-waist-size-am-i-really

I found this interesting, but what I always find rather irritating on listed clothing sizes is the discrepancy between hip and waist measurements for a size. I have a 29 inch waist, which in the UK should make me a 12, but 36 inch hips, which puts me at an 8-10. Surely no one actually has an 11 inch difference between their hip and waist measurement?

Actually I have a 12 1/2 inch difference in waist and hip! That's why I've always said I have an hour-glass figure; it's just 2 hours instead of 1!!! Remember, hour glass figure is 36-24-36 (traditionally)
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    This is totally true. And from store to store and different brands, they all are a totally different measurement. And stores like Lane Bryant have changed their sizing as well. No longer are the jeans a 20,22,24, etc. They now have a new sizing chart from a 1 to a 6. Really? I am fat and I know it. Dont try to tell me a wear a size "3" jean in your store!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    I saw it. They really need to standardize it. When I graduated high school (30 years ago) my measurments were 36/26/38 (pear) and I never got below a size 16! Even today I have a 12 inch difference between waist and hip (only 5 between bust and waist though) and can wear size 18, but I am 80 pounds heavier! I have never been able to wear pants straight off the rack, I had to buy to fit my hips and take them in at the waist.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    It's definitely frustrating. I've lost over 50 pounds and some of my size 24s still fit! Then I've got 20s and 22s that fit exactly the same, and some 20s that are too small, but 18s that fit well, and even a pair of 17s that are a bit big. They need to make some rules about sizes and stick to them. It'd save me hours of trying on every single pair of pants in the store.
This discussion has been closed.