Food and Social Structure

Options
I am of the opinion that almost our entire social structure revolves around food. And the older you get, the more that is true.

Most of our social interactions involve food. How many people are hanging out at a game or watching a game today with friends and food? Tailgating is all about the food. I can't think of a party situation that doesn't involve food (cocktails count since they are calories). Church's have covered dish dinners or Pancake suppers, fundraisers involve dinner or bake sales. If you get together with the family it's either a covered dish dinner, family picnic, or sunday brunch. Go on a date and it's usually dinner or drinks and appetizers. (or a movie with popcorn and snacks). Holidays are all about food. Your boss wants to reward you and it's donut or pizza at the office or a free lunch out. A day out with the girls usually involves shopping and lunch. Birthday celebrations mean cake and icecream. Every town and city probably has a Strawberry Festival or Watermelon Festival, or Tomato Festival, Chile Cookoff, in the south it's Pork and Peanuts....you get the idea. Even funerals involve food.

You can't remove yourself from temptation without becoming a hermit. So, the trick is to have a strategy for dealing with food as you find yourself in these kinds of situations. It's a balancing act to still have a social life and not loose control. Sometimes I just give in and go with the flow, sometimes I avoid, and sometimes I go but try to make healthy choices. I exercise a lot to make up for what I eat.....

How do you handle it? Since starting this lifestyle have you substituted new forms of entertainment and socialization, in place of old ways that involved food?

Replies

• lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I am of the opinion that almost our entire social structure revolves around food. And the older you get, the more that is true.

Most of our social interactions involve food. How many people are hanging out at a game or watching a game today with friends and food? Tailgating is all about the food. I can't think of a party situation that doesn't involve food (cocktails count since they are calories). Church's have covered dish dinners or Pancake suppers, fundraisers involve dinner or bake sales. If you get together with the family it's either a covered dish dinner, family picnic, or sunday brunch. Go on a date and it's usually dinner or drinks and appetizers. (or a movie with popcorn and snacks). Holidays are all about food. Your boss wants to reward you and it's donut or pizza at the office or a free lunch out. A day out with the girls usually involves shopping and lunch. Birthday celebrations mean cake and icecream. Every town and city probably has a Strawberry Festival or Watermelon Festival, or Tomato Festival, Chile Cookoff, in the south it's Pork and Peanuts....you get the idea. Even funerals involve food.

You can't remove yourself from temptation without becoming a hermit. So, the trick is to have a strategy for dealing with food as you find yourself in these kinds of situations. It's a balancing act to still have a social life and not loose control. Sometimes I just give in and go with the flow, sometimes I avoid, and sometimes I go but try to make healthy choices. I exercise a lot to make up for what I eat.....

How do you handle it? Since starting this lifestyle have you substituted new forms of entertainment and socialization, in place of old ways that involved food?
  • tresa1234
    tresa1234 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I don't have any answers ... just agreeing with you! You really can't have a social life without food being at the center. I wonder that there are ANY thin people anywhere!

And I what I plan to do as I continue this journey is to just try to make food somehow ... well, less important to me. It's not like it's not going to be just as available and just as yummy any time. If it is a special occasion food or a holiday, I will try to just be moderate and then get back to logging everything the next day. If I'm eating to appreciate a flavor, I don't need much. If I'm eating for fuel, I need to make smart choices and account for what I put in my body.

My problem has always been making every day a "special" day as far as food goes ... food really does not need to be my main source of entertainment any more! And it's also not the answer to whatever is bothering me if I'm upset or depressed.

Now to keep doing it long term ... there's the rub. :ohwell:
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I know it may sound weird, but I really don't have a problem outside of the house. All of my co-workers have noticed the weightloss and they all kind of keep me in check - even if they don't know it. Just last week we had this big birthday party and there was all kinds of food. I walked in and I could feel everyone watching me. It wasn't a bad thing. I didn't mind. Then when I grabbed for some nuts, someone asked me how I was losing the weight. Next thing I know, we're all talking about different ways to lose weight and stuff. As for shopping, my biggest downfall there was always hitting the Starbucks and ordering something really bad. Nowadays, if I feel the need, I'll order a light mocha frappacino and while it's still a lot of sugar, I don't think it's too damaging and lunch usually consists of a sandwich from Subway or Quiznos - yummy!

Home is so different. I'm the only one in the house that's changed. Like yesterday...I walked in to the smell of chocolate chip cookies my daughter decided to make. I ate 4 of them! :frown: While everyone else is eating a big fat piece of lasagna with garlic/butter toast and having ice-cream for dessert, I'm sitting there eating an apple and some chicken breast with a side of mixed veggies. It's harder some days than others. *sigh*
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Ezzie and I haven't avoided social situations, we just not are much more mindful of what we eat, and more mindful of making healthy choices as to both the food itself, and the amount we consume. Plus we log it ASAP when we get back home. :drinker:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    The hard part for me is the notion that food equals comfort and/or relaxation. I always seem to want to put my feet up and yearn for some "coffee and-- "

But, I'm fighting through that-- and it does get easier.