How do you know...

Options
How do you know if your muscles are "just sore" or if there is really something wrong? Like if you actually pulled or messed up a muscle or if it's just the average you-don't-exercise-enough-so-you're-just-gonna-have-to-deal-with-your-body-complaining-until-you-exercise-more muscle soreness?

Replies

• Griffin90
    Griffin90 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You will know. Trust me you will know.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Tough question, as we all perceive pain differently.

For me, an injury such as a pulled muscle, has a 'cutting' sensation. Simple soreness give me a 'burning' feeling.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Does the muscle hurt to use it? Does it make doing things impossible? (not "I don't want to walk because my legs hurt" but rather "I can't put pressure on my leg and if I do I fall over and therefore can't walk")

Try doing some light cardio and you will see if it is soreness or injury. If it is soreness, you will feel it doing light cardio, but it won't prevent you from doing something. If it is injury, you will know it immediately.

And if it is nothing but soreness, KEEP MOVING! The more you move, the more likely the soreness will just go away and that much faster.
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I would get a next day a feel good sore, a satisfaction of working out hard, but if I had just aspeific spot that would burn differently.....I would watch it for few days ice etc...you wil learn what your body is saying to you and why.....
  • SpazEMcGee
    SpazEMcGee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Ok. Well it's my calfs. Right in the middle on both...and when I try to walk it feels like I have to walk straight legged because my calf muscles don't want to let me walk normal...and I tried to go up on my tippy-toes and I could only go so far...I literally could not go as far as I could usually go...it was painful and it was impossible. :P I suppose that's what I get for working out without shoes. D:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    If you can still walk without a stabbing pain, then you probably just got a pretty high dose of DOMS. Try massaging it from time to time, and keep walking. It can relieve soreness. Also be sure to drink plenty of water and eat some protein to aid in muscle repair.

And wear some shoes next time. :flowerforyou:
  • SpazEMcGee
    Options
    Haha. Thank you, and I most certainly will! :P lol
  • FryingPanda
    FryingPanda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    When you say middle of your calf, do you mean the middle of the back part of your lower leg between the knee and ankle or in the middle of the calf muscle? I simply ask because you may have either strained Achillies tendons or got a muscle knot in your calves.

You can always try changing hot and cold on the affected area and massage.
  • SpazEMcGee
    Options
    Oh gosh...both really, but I suppose the majority of the pain is right in the middle of the calf muscle. :-/