About resting after strength training...

Options
I don't use weights of over 5lbs and I usually don't use them for more than 20 minutes.

My question is, do I really have to wait a day between every time I use weights even with this small ammount?

My arms are a little sore from weights yesterday, but not terribly so, and I really feel like using weights again today.

Replies

• Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    I don't use weights of over 5lbs and I usually don't use them for more than 20 minutes.

My question is, do I really have to wait a day between every time I use weights even with this small ammount?

My arms are a little sore from weights yesterday, but not terribly so, and I really feel like using weights again today.
  • bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206
    Options
    Hi Livi_Loves_Pink!

The answer that I received from a personal trainer was no you don't have to take a day to rest when using low weight. BUT it is important to take at least one day to rest during the week from doing weights to allow your muscles to recover.
    I was on a one day on/one day off strength training routine but I was doing an hour session with heavy weight as a comparision. Hope this helps!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    Thanks! I was thinking that one or two rest days a week would be okay, considering the small amount I do, but I just wanted to make sure. I don't want to do anything to hinder my progress!

I will do weights again today then. :smile:
  • andtckrtoo
    andtckrtoo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Actually, if you're arms are sore, I would give your muscles a rest. What happens when you lift is that you tear down muscle fibers and rebuild them. 24 to 48 of rest is required to really accomplish this. Even if you are using light weights, you really should give yourself a days rest to rebuild.