Which Polar HRM to invest in?

Options
Here's a link to an apparently legitimate website that sells this kind of stuff. I know I DO want to go with Polar, because apparently the Mio ones suck..

But which one would be the best? Does it really matter..? (I've honestly never heard of a HRM before joining this site!)

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/polar-products.html

Replies

• dawnelaine96
    dawnelaine96 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've got the Polar HT7. If you work out in a gym that's the one you want because it has a feature which blocks out the signals from other people's HRM's (that are around you). I got mine at REI for $120 with tax. It has been a big help.
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    As long as it has a chest strap you should be ok... I have the F6 and love it!! It is very basic and easy to use =)
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 and also love it!
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I just recently got the FT60 and I have to say it is pretty cool. It has all the bells and whistles that I need plus it links up to their website so I can track my progress on there.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I bought my FT4 from that website. Legit. I ordered it on Friday evening and received it Monday.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    So far, nothing but goo reviews! :D I'm REALLY considering the Polar FT4. It has a chest strap too! :happy:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    The FT7 was my choice, $75 shipped on Amazon. I liked the fact that I can change the battery myself, rather than having to ship it back to Polar like you have to do with the FT4 and others.

VERY nice purchase!!
  • Jellyphant
    Options
    I bought my FT4 from that website. Legit. I ordered it on Friday evening and received it Monday.
    LOL, I'm thinking about getting one of those! The blueeee one. <3
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I bought an FT7 from this same company. Excellent customer service, arrived in less than a week and I love it. Can't believe I put up with the MIO for so long.
  • duncanryan
    duncanryan Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My wife and I just bought the FT4 this past weekend. We both used it today and yesterday and have had no problems thus far! Easy set up and easy to use.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    All Polars feature that unique signal to block out interference. I have the FT4. A great investment.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Again, remember that when the battery on the FT4 wears out, you have to send it back to Polar to be replaced.
  • Jellyphant
    Options
    Again, remember that when the battery on the FT4 wears out, you have to send it back to Polar to be replaced.
    But.. I read in a review of it that you can change the batteries yourself! O_O?
  • Jellyphant
    Options
    Yay, there we go! I think I'll go ahead and get this HRM. Mucho thanks to everyone's input!!
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to an apparently legitimate website that sells this kind of stuff. I know I DO want to go with Polar, because apparently the Mio ones suck..

But which one would be the best? Does it really matter..? (I've honestly never heard of a HRM before joining this site!)

I call heart rate monitor's "Desperate measure devices" Alot of folks here buy them as a tool to measure calories burned but the truth behind that is NOBODY burns calories the same. Everybody burns calories differently. These HRM's are guestimations when it comes to calories burned during exercise. They work great for counting heartbeats although. I read alot here and read alot of gimmick weight loss responses. Education is the key to life style changes that allow weight loss to become permanent. Nobody is going to use a HRM for long term or measure/weigh all there food or log calories FOREVER. It's all a matter of self control and smart choices. BMR are accurate enough as are the MFP weight loss caloric estimates to lose weight. Good luck
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Im pretty sure all the models made now you can change your own battery, its only the older watches that you cant.
  • FryingPanda
    FryingPanda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on what you want your HRM to do. I think if you figure out what are the essentials that you need and see which of the HRMs (FT4, FT7....) works for you and is in your price range get that. You may also want to shop around a bit. I got a new FT40 for $71 off of EBay and have been enjoying it very much.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options

I call heart rate monitor's "Desperate measure devices" Alot of folks here buy them as a tool to measure calories burned but the truth behind that is NOBODY burns calories the same. Everybody burns calories differently. These HRM's are guestimations when it comes to calories burned during exercise. They work great for counting heartbeats although. I read alot here and read alot of gimmick weight loss responses. Education is the key to life style changes that allow weight loss to become permanent. Nobody is going to use a HRM for long term or measure/weigh all there food or log calories FOREVER. It's all a matter of self control and smart choices. BMR are accurate enough as are the MFP weight loss caloric estimates to lose weight. Good luck

I have to disagree with you there, sir. While trying to lose weight, a heart rate monitor is a great tool to more accurately determine the number of calories burned through exercise. But after you finally reach your goal weight, most people who do make the lifestyle change don't just stop working out. A heart rate monitor is also a great tool to measure and improve overall fitness and performance. So while calories burned may not be your main concern when you reach your goal weight, I would hope those that do use a heart rate monitor don't just stop using them when they get there.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    For accurate calorie count (if that is what you are looking for), it is recommended to get a Polar FT6 or higher. In order to get a personalized accurate calorie count, your HRM should have the option to enter age/weight/sex/height. It should also calculate Vo2 otherwise it won't give you an accurate calorie burned #.

I recently bought the FT60 and I love it! It comes with all the options I just stated! I highly recommend it! I use it as a tool to help me monitor what I eat (calorie count)