Measurements

Options
How often should I be taking my measurements? Also, where do you measure your hips? I have been measuring around my hip bones because that seems like hips to me, but the Marine Corps seems to think that the hips are measured at the biggest/roundest part of your butt.

Replies

• sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I measure at the widest part and once a month
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I've read the biggest part of your butt area so that's where I measure.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I measure both and once a week. I like my tape measure because it moves most when the scale doesn't!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I do the belly button line, narrowest point which is my waist and about 2 inches below my belly button. I only do it once a month.
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Yes, the technical term from ACSM is "maximum circumference just above gluteal fold", which basicly means widest part.

I also measure my abdomen, right at the belly button line. I measure my waist, at the smallest measurement between hips and chest. I measure my right upper arm, 1/2 between elbow and shoulder joint, and my right thigh, which is the biggest part.

There is a debate as to whether you should measure bi weekly or monthly. The important thing, is that you do it at least once a month, and note what clothes you have on, if you are measuring over clothes at all. It's very hard to measure chest without a bra. Make sure it's the same bra. usually measure over running tights and sports bra.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    once every 4 weeks (since once a month eventually throws off course, 31,30 days and all)

I measure the biggest part of my bum/hip area. Measure more parts if you want! I measure many areas so I can more accurately view how my body is changing. Wish I had measured my forearms when I started!
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Biggest part of your hips. Tape measure should be right above your love button ;) -ok, at least that's where it is for me.

Don't they still exempt you from taping if you rock a 1st class PFT?