A Yuumy Sour Cream Substitute

Options
I've been trying to find better (yet tasty) ways of eating by choosing healthier choices. One of the foods I love and I can eat a lot of is Sour Cream...love love love that stuff. Obviously lots of calories and fats though )=

So I've substituted sour cream for Greek Yogurt (Fage is my personal fave)!!! Sounds werid or disgusting I know but if you taste it and observe the texture you'll see it's not much different than sour cream, it not only has a similar flavor but it's healthier and less calories per serving.

Here's some examples of sour cream from the big brands vs. Greek Yogurt:

Common Brand #1: One serving = 1/8C or 2T...1) Calories 40 2) Fat 2.5G 3) Saturated Fat 2G 4) Cholesterol 10mg 5) Sodium 5mg 6) Carbs 2G 7) Protein 2G

Common Brand #2: One serving = 1.8C or 2T...1) Calories 60 2) Fat 5G 3) Saturated Fat 3.5G 4) Cholesterol 20mg 5) Sodium 20mg 6) Carbs 2G 7) Protein 1G

Common Brand #3: One serving = 1/8C or 2T...1) Calories 60 2) Fat 6G 3) Saturated Fat 4G 4) Cholesterol 25mg 5) Sodium 45mg 6) Carbs 2G 7) Protein 1G

AND NOW FOR ALL OF YOU HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR (DRUM ROLL):

I'm using this info from a 7-oz containter of Greek Yogurt Total 2% Plaint - the serving size of the entire container is 1, when treated like "sour cream" I use 1/4 C, givng the 7-oz container 3 servings.

Greek Yogurt: One serving = 1/4C or 4T 1) Calories 50 2) Fat 1.5G 3) Saturated Fat 1 4) Cholesterol 4mg 5) Sodium 22mg 6) Carbs 2.75G 7) Protein 7G

I hope you all find this helpful, I'm glad I discovered it - it's not a bad thing to have a guilty pleasure, but it's always helpful to find a healthy guilty pleasure (=

Replies

• glamroxjax
    glamroxjax Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've been doing that for years! Its awesome isn't it! I have turned so many people to the healing powers of yogurt! lol
  • wantconfidence
    Options
    nice this was very helpful cuz i loveeee sour cream but sour cream doesnt love me
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Aren't you trading for more sugars though?

*I'm correcting my own post! Some greek yogurt actually does have less sugars than sour cream , who knew? (I love both but since I love the sweeter greek yogurt I usually stay away. I like the one with honey on the side. )

I'll keep my eye out in the store and check out the nutrition labels of the ones available. Thanks!
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    occasionally I add a tbsp of light mayo to the greek yogurt plus some garlic and onion powder to make a nice dip for veggies.
  • efrazier1130
    Options
    I love these kinds of posts! Another good substitute is Tofutti "Sour Cream". It's a soy product- my friend who is extremely allergic to dairy reccommened it to me. It's pretty plain by it's self but it's great for making dips. I'm a huge veggies/chips/whatever and dip person so I was really happy to find this product. They also make other products including cream cheese, which I haven't tried yet but have been told it's better than regular cream cheese!! Happy fitness!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    *S* it is a great substitute for sou cream for sure...
    i use greek yogurt in place of sour cream, mayo, and even whipped cream and vanilla ice cream! (last week i made a rhubarb strawberry crisp for dessert and had a dollop of plain greek yogurt on mine while everyone else had vanilla icecream , and i preferred it over the ice cream!!
  • DarkAngel864
    DarkAngel864 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    YES! I eat the Dannon greek yogurt and the first time I grabbed plain instead of vanilla. I took one bite and was like, wow, that is just like sour cream and so much better for me! Wasn't even bummed that I had so much extra in the fridge :smile: