ugh my feet hurt!

So I never realized this before, but I have FLAT feet. I have never been much for physical activity (except dance in school, but we wore no shoes mostly, lol) anyways, as I started exercising, I am realizing after about 10 minutes the bottoms of my feet KILL. I have to stop and get off them. It feels between stinging and cramping. Like below where the arch would be, a little below my heel.

Any ideas for shoes for flat feet? Or should I just save the money for custom-made shoes?

I walked like 5 miles a couple weekends ago at the fair, but I was in flip flops (reef sandals which are flat, and conformed to my feet) so my feet didnt hurt after ALL that walking. Just in my shoes. I have a pair of skechers athletics, and a pair of cheap athletic shoes from payless.

Replies

• So I never realized this before, but I have FLAT feet. I have never been much for physical activity (except dance in school, but we wore no shoes mostly, lol) anyways, as I started exercising, I am realizing after about 10 minutes the bottoms of my feet KILL. I have to stop and get off them. It feels between stinging and cramping. Like below where the arch would be, a little below my heel.

Any ideas for shoes for flat feet? Or should I just save the money for custom-made shoes?

I walked like 5 miles a couple weekends ago at the fair, but I was in flip flops (reef sandals which are flat, and conformed to my feet) so my feet didnt hurt after ALL that walking. Just in my shoes. I have a pair of skechers athletics, and a pair of cheap athletic shoes from payless.
  • It sounds like you need better athletic shoes with arch support. What kind of physical activity are you doing? You don't necessary need custom shoes but you just need someone with good arch support. Cheapo Payless ones won't cut it and I'm not too sure about Skechers. I have some ASICS Gel Equation shoes that are amazing and feel like I'm walking on air.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    my podiatrist told me to buy insoles and new balance sneakers. :flowerforyou:
  • I love love love my new balance sneakers. they are not all that expensive, i got mine for a little bit over $50. I add support insoles that i get from walmart to give me even a little more arch. Since i have started doing this, my feet hurt much much less.
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    I love New Balance too. They really are great and not bad on the budget either. If you have the option, try the eliptical instead of walking. Very low impact and talk about a great workout - whew!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    athletic shoes may not solve all your problems. I have heel spurs and plantar fasciatis and I finally went to the foot doctor. He had an inexpensive orthodic that I replace the insole of all my shoes with now and ever since my feet are much better. You may need a custom orthodic for your particular problem but I would ask someone who knows all about feet and call a foot doctor.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    I had a cortisone injection, but the cause of the inflammation still had to be addressed. I am getting my new balance and insert today. My foot feels a lot better, but I have been relagated to Pilates and strength training only for a week. i am going nuts w/o my cardio.

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • Thanks for all the replies! I will check out new balance, and guess bite the bullet and see a foot doctor, lol. I was hoping to avoid it with some magical shoe :)