Making Family Understand

Options
Hi Everyone,

So right now I live at home with my family (mom and brother who is in college and comes home on breaks). How do I get my mom to understand what it is I'm trying to do with eating better and weight loss? Like during Lent I gave up red meat and pork (this was kind of my jump start into get back on the right track). I told her. She kinda looked at me funny. She would make side comments like how SHE was tired of eating chicken and such. I told her I gave it up not you. Then in the next breath say she's being "supportive". Another example is with dinner. There are times when she cooks dinner isn't ready until after 8pm. That is too late for me to be eating. But if I buy certain things or cook things a certain way she gets all huffy. If I say something she gets all huffy. I just don't know what to do.

Replies

• Karyn1120
    Karyn1120 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My mother is the same way. At this point I just ignore her comments. I'm doing this for MYSELF and no one else. I'm also very fortunate that my daughters are extremely supportive.

Hang in there!
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I have a huffy mom too. You will probably never make her understand but don't let that get you down. You are doing the right thing. You have got to live for yourself. Keep up the good work and if you need more support feel free to add me. I promise I won't huff at you.
  • KellieErinJohnson
    Options
    Eventually they'll come around...if not stand strong, its for you not them! I gave up meat all together because I knew I had a weakness for it and I binge on it....It's been a year but I still get, oh c'mon you can just have it once...it's a holiday or whatnot...but at this point why and I don't need to bend to them...so I've learned to bring something I can eat and ignore the remarks...Good Luck and Good Job ;)
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Since you are an adult living at home, I think you should offer (read: insist :wink: ) on pitching in and cooking dinner 3 nights a week. Get really creative and cook some things that you think your mom might enjoy. It definitely doesn't have to be chicken! There are so many great low cal recipes and even different ways to cook chicken that are healthy but not boring! She may discover that she likes eating healthy too :) My family loves a lot of my healthy meals and asks for them again and again. Sit down with her and explain that this is your way of contributing and taking some of the burden off of her. She may fight you at first because she is used to being the caretaker. After a while, she will appreciate it! Maybe you could choose to cook on the nights she generally makes dinner late. I'm sure it will all work out. Remember, it's not always what you say, but how you say it. Be sure to be appreciative of the meals she does cook and keep fixings for a big salad in the house all the time. If she makes something you know is higher calorie, just make a big salad (offer her some too!) to go with it and eat the salad and a little of her entree. I'm sure you can work this out! Good luck :smile:
  • Mirage08
    Mirage08 Posts: 10
    Options
    I do cook and have made some items she and my brother have liked. I was in grad school not too long ago so I wasn't cooking as much because I was working full time too. When I made the chicken comment she was the one cooking mainly chicken dishes. Thanks for the tips.
    Since you are an adult living at home, I think you should offer (read: insist :wink: ) on pitching in and cooking dinner 3 nights a week. Get really creative and cook some things that you think your mom might enjoy. It definitely doesn't have to be chicken! There are so many great low cal recipes and even different ways to cook chicken that are healthy but not boring! She may discover that she likes eating healthy too :) My family loves a lot of my healthy meals and asks for them again and again. Sit down with her and explain that this is your way of contributing and taking some of the burden off of her. She may fight you at first because she is used to being the caretaker. After a while, she will appreciate it! Maybe you could choose to cook on the nights she generally makes dinner late. I'm sure it will all work out. Remember, it's not always what you say, but how you say it. Be sure to be appreciative of the meals she does cook and keep fixings for a big salad in the house all the time. If she makes something you know is higher calorie, just make a big salad (offer her some too!) to go with it and eat the salad and a little of her entree. I'm sure you can work this out! Good luck :smile:
  • Mirage08
    Mirage08 Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks all. Just something else to work at :)