Hummus

Options
What do people eat hummus on? I have roasted garlic. Bought it because it's suppose to be good for you but is it a dip, a spread? I'm not sure how to eat it. Do I heat it?

Replies

• kcanoni
    kcanoni Posts: 31
    Options
    Hummus can be either a dip or a spread. I've never heated it though.

I like it with carrots as a snack but I also use it on chicken sandwiches instead of mayo or mustard :) Pita bread is a good companion too
  • Cornock
    Cornock Posts: 254
    Options
    You can use it on a whole bunch of stuff.

Use it with grilled chicken breast like a sauce, put it with a salad, or make a coleslaw and use it instead of Mayonaise. (I use a lite sour cream with lime juice which is a great substitute on coleslaw too)

Hummus is great with all kinds of meat and can be used on crackers too. Pretty easy to make if you dont want to buy it. I find sometimes the brought stuff has a little too many additives for my liking.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I used to have it with crackers but am now having it with celery. I would thing its good with any raw veggie :D
  • traceysturn
    traceysturn Posts: 196
    Options
    Its great w/raw veggies, celery carrots etc. My fav is josephs pitas. They're only 60 cals & I just rip pieces of the bread & dip in the hummus. Perfect snack!
  • choughton01
    choughton01 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You can use it on a whole bunch of stuff.

Use it with grilled chicken breast like a sauce, put it with a salad, or make a coleslaw and use it instead of Mayonaise. (I use a lite sour cream with lime juice which is a great substitute on coleslaw too)

Hummus is great with all kinds of meat and can be used on crackers too. Pretty easy to make if you dont want to buy it. I find sometimes the brought stuff has a little too many additives for my liking.

How is it made. I would totally prefer to make my own if I decide I like it. It's a new thing for me.
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    Hummus is great as a veggie dip, with baked pita chips, on sandwiches. You need to be careful of store bought - they can have a lot of calories and fat. It is easy to make in a food processor and soooooo much cheaper too. I make garbanzo and roasted garlic and also white bean and olive hummus.
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    hummus is mainly chickpeas, a little bit of tahini, maybe some olive oil, garlic and lemon juice. i believe that is it, do a google search, as i am sure there are tons of recipes out there.

as for me, i love it as a spread on sandwiches, and even better...when making a pizza, use it instead of tomato sauce for the base. a little cooked shredded chicken and some fresh tomatoes, sprinkle of cheese, and yummmm!!! i like to use the greek pitas for my pizza base.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I like hummus on apple slices...the whole sweet/savory thing appeals to my palate.
  • Bigmomma0u812
    Options
    I don't think I can function without hummus. It has become my must have diet food. I don't really even know if you would call it a diet food but I never ate any before starting this life change and wanted to try something new. My favorites are roasted red pepper and spinach and artichoke. Oh yum. As a treat I eat a small amount spread on a tostada ( crunchy tortilla). I also eat it as a spread on a bagel thin almost every day for breakfast with a little bit of turkey.

I love the idea that CallejaFairey mentioned using it as a pizza base. I'm going to have to try that!
  • choughton01
    choughton01 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    hummus is mainly chickpeas, a little bit of tahini, maybe some olive oil, garlic and lemon juice. i believe that is it, do a google search, as i am sure there are tons of recipes out there.

as for me, i love it as a spread on sandwiches, and even better...when making a pizza, use it instead of tomato sauce for the base. a little cooked shredded chicken and some fresh tomatoes, sprinkle of cheese, and yummmm!!! i like to use the greek pitas for my pizza base.

that is definitely a must try recipe...thanks!