So confused!

Options
almarsala
almarsala Posts: 168 Member
Ok so carbs is basically sugar right? So why is my sugar set at 27 and my carbs set at 171? I never go over on carbs, but I always go over with my sugar because I eat fruit. Which no I won't be giving up . Can anyone help explain?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Ok so carbs is basically sugar right? So why is my sugar set at 27 and my carbs set at 171? I never go over on carbs, but I always go over with my sugar because I eat fruit. Which no I won't be giving up . Can anyone help explain?

Here is a good description of carbs, good vs. bad.
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/carbohydrates/index.html
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    There are complex carbohydrates and simple ones. Simple carbs tend to be viewed as the "'bad" carb as they are in soda, jellies, candies and other sweets. Complex carbs are your whole grains and starches. Fructose - fruit sugar - falls in the middle and you should eat fruit - but pay attention to serving sizes and calories.
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    all sugar are carbs but not all carbs are sugar. Carbs include vegetables, pastas, bread, rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc. They used to be called starches. there are two types of carbs, the starchy carbs which includes bread, rice potatoes, etc. and fibrous carbs which are the vegetables. so if your carb counter is set at 171 it includes teh carbs you ingest when you eat things like rice, bread etc. Fruits are carbs as well. there are two kinds of carbs, simple and complex. simple carbs are easily turned into sugar and stored as fat in your body. Besides fruit, simple carbs are "white" foods, such as white bread, white rice, potatoes and shoudl be avoided as much as possible. Complex carbs are digested very slowly by your body and utilized much better, complex carbs include whole wheat breads, brown rice, vegetables. Most of your carb choices should be vegetables, supplemented with other complex carbs such as brown rice. hope that helps a bit. you might want to google some articles on carbs and protein.
  • almarsala
    almarsala Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I don't eat ANY simple carbs. Or "enriched" wheat either. What I take from this is I should eat more veggies to get a bit more carbs. I eat at least two services of fruit a day, and two veggie servings. I rarely have bread or pasta, and never any form of potatoes, though I'm not really going for a low carb diet. Maybe I should have a bit more bread and definitely more veggies? thanks guys!