Bread lovers: what is a good bread substitute?

Options
What can I say, I love bread, pretty much all kinds. I am a big fan of whole wheat bread and I have recently become addicted to whole wheat pita and well, I have been eating too much of it. I was wondering what are your susbtitutes for bread for when you feel like eating something like a sandwich or anything crunchy and filling. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Kallisti
    Kallisti Posts: 61
    Options
    I like large romaine lettuce leaves used as wraps, small ezekiel bread sprouted grain tortillas (80 calories), and arnold's whole wheat sandwich thins (100 calories).
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    If I want a sandwich, i'll opt for those whole wheat sandwich thins or make a wrap with a fat free or low carb tortilla.
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    sorry..no ideas bread is bread is bread...NO SUBSTITUTE!!!
    (Try living in my home - son is a baker......:sad: :sad: :sad:
    You just HAVE to learn to say NO!! Know what calories are in it and take that into your overall days allowance...
    sorry again.....
    Good luck
  • hydrogirl0225
    Options
    i second the arnold sandwich thins. They are great for sandwiches. Also try making a sandwich on matzos. The matzos are good for a crunch but alot of crumbs.
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You can replace almost any piece of bread with a tortilla!!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    BREAD is a good substitute! lol I love Target's multigrain bread. It's Market Pantry Multigrain Sliced Loaf. I usually buy the half but it's DELICIOUS and has seeds and oats on top, yum! I also like Orowheat's Honey Whole Wheat.
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I like Sarah Lee 45cal whole wheat bread. Antyime I'm avoiding bread, I put whatever I;d have on the sandwhich in a bed of lettuce. If it's a trukey burger or garden burger I get it "protein style" wrapped in lettuce!
  • jocelynlewis
    Options
    If I want a sandwich, i'll opt for those whole wheat sandwich thins or make a wrap with a fat free or low carb tortilla.

Agree!
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Because I'm diabetic, I've had to learn to love new types of breads. Instead of the wowser carb and calorie-laden homemade bread, I eat Sara Lee Delightful Whole Grain, which is only 45 calories a slice and under 10 grams of carbs. I buy lower carb, lower calorie wraps and pitas (made with oat, I believe?) instead of the full-calorie versions. And I've been known to eat sandwiches open-faced with one slice instead of two. When I buy a burger or the like, I ditch the buns and use the Sara Lee, which knocks off a couple hundred calories and wowser carbs.
  • GinaKurtz
    GinaKurtz Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I like large romaine lettuce leaves used as wraps, small ezekiel bread sprouted grain tortillas (80 calories), and arnold's whole wheat sandwich thins (100 calories).
    Agree!! :smile:
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I use rice cakes to make open faced sandwiches. They're only 35 calories and I find them tasty.
  • mlanser08
    mlanser08 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I like the Arnold Sandwich thins as well. They also make bagel thins too. I like them toasted with a wedge of laughing cow cheese on it, or with an egg beater (flavored with Tastefully Simple Bacon Bacon) on them, spray butter, and a wedge if laughing cow cheese. Great substitute for a bagel and gives you a bread fix:)
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I still eat bread. But I do use moderation. I usually only eat regular bread if it's really tasty stuff - the fresh baked kind!

I'm another fan of sandwich thins (I like Orowheat 100% whole wheat sandwich things). I also like brown rice crackers (especially rice cracker thins), whole wheat pita bread, and corn tortillas.
  • Floricienta
    Floricienta Posts: 209
    Options
    Great ideas!!! Thanks everyone :flowerforyou:
  • thintuition
    Options
    Ohhhhhh wowwwww. Thank you for saying rice cakes. I wish I had found this site earlier. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    sorry..no ideas bread is bread is bread...NO SUBSTITUTE!!!
    (Try living in my home - son is a baker......:sad: :sad: :sad:
    You just HAVE to learn to say NO!! Know what calories are in it and take that into your overall days allowance...
    sorry again.....
    Good luck

Oh my goodness, this would be torture for me!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you can eat carbs and lose weight..just make sure that you maintain your daily calorie deficit and hit your carb macro..

I get anywhere from 30 to 35% of my calories from carbs and on my most recent cut I am losing about .5 pound per week....

carbs do not make you fat, over eating does.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    you can eat carbs and lose weight..just make sure that you maintain your daily calorie deficit and hit your carb macro..

I get anywhere from 30 to 35% of my calories from carbs and on my most recent cut I am losing about .5 pound per week....

carbs do not make you fat, over eating does.

This.

Also, Sara Lee makes a really low cal sliced bread, Orowheat sandwich thins are only 100 calories and tortillas are great for wraps. Just some options that can make fitting bread into your macros and calorie goals a little easier.
  • MaggieTor3
    MaggieTor3 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have made sandwiches, when I really desperately crave a sandwich, by cutting a regular slice of bread in half so there are 2 very thin slices. You have to have a bread knife for it to work, lol.

Otherwise I've switched to matzos, for me the kind made only with flour and water so there's no salt. Can't make a sandwich of it really, except open-face.

I've found a BIG advantage to the matzos. I often eat 1 matzoh with peanut butter on it while I'm reading, so I've only got 1 hand to hold it with and I don't want to spill crumbs on the book. So I bite into it VERY carefully. That means it's taking me longer to eat and I'm satisfied with only 1 where before I would have had 2 sandwiches each made of 2 slices of bread.