how many grams in a tablespoon?

Options
Any one know of a good place to view a conversion chart, or a method? Most used is grams in a tablespoon.
But a gram is a weight, and a tablespoon is a volume. right? I'm confused.
Can someone help me?
I tried online to get a view of something, but no real luck. I just kept getting redirected to different spots. This must be a common question in reference to dieters.

Replies

• tbrown1025
    tbrown1025 Posts: 165
    Options
    Yes, you're right in that grams is weight and tbsp is volume. There really is no answer to this bc it depends on what you're measuring. I use a food scale to measure my grams if that's the only serving suggestion I have.
  • Smiley393
    Smiley393 Posts: 26
    Options
    Can I ask what your trying to figure out? I have a conver. App for my iPad and maybe I can figure it out:)
  • NicoleRN2013
    NicoleRN2013 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If it is fluid or powder, 14 grams is a tbsp. Hope this helps.
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Yep, I agree! it won't convert.

It all depends on what you are measuring.

if you have a Tbsp of rocks, it's going to be a lot more grams in weight than a Tbsp of feathers.

I also advise getting a scale where you can weigh everything. I use a scale for all my baking too. It's much more efficient and precise.
  • Kathy11174
    Kathy11174 Posts: 82
    Options
    http://simputil.com/download/unitconverter.php

That is a converter but there is no real way to measure how many grams in a tablespoon, since grams is a weight and tablespoons is a volume. A gram of rice is going to be less than a gram of marshmallows in sense of volume. Hope this helps!!!
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    It definitely depends on what you're measuring, like tbrown1025 said.

Suppose you took your tablespoon and filled it with marshmallow. That tablespoon of marshmallow might weigh, say, 3 grams.
    But what if you took the tablespoon and filled it with peanut butter? The peanut butter is much denser than the marshmallow, so it might weigh 15 grams.

A food scale will definitely help if you're looking to measure the exact weight of your food. :) Good luck!
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    what i measure mostly is say, a tablespoon of yogert. how many grams is that?
  • chrisfnet
    chrisfnet Posts: 83
    Options
    The missing factor needed to convert from a mass to a volume is a given ingredient's density. Density is expressed in terms of mass/volume and describes the relationship of mass to volume for that particular substance.

If you're curious, the density of water is 1 gram per 1 milliliter.
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    you can't measure yogurt in grams the same way you measure it in a tablespoon. grams measures the weight of yogurt and tablespoons measure the volume of it. you can't convert two different units of measure. cups, tsp, tbsp, etc. won't convert to grams. you need to measure it in one or the other.
  • Suzannejl
    Suzannejl Posts: 212
    Options
    I was looking around and found this, hope it helps!

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/cooking-conversions/gram-conversions.aspx
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    If it is fluid or powder, 14 grams is a tbsp. Hope this helps.

That's true only if a fluid ounce of the fluid or powder being measured actually weighs an ounce. Same word, two different definitions, no universal conversion factor.