fashion help please

Options
I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about fashion, so I could use a LOT of help here please!
My son is getting married on April 25th, so I'm not in a royal hurry. BUT, I need to get a dress to wear, and I haven't got a clue about what to shop for. Do I get a dress long to the floor? Just under the knees? Since the wedding is at the end of April, (around noon) I should get long sleeves, right? Is black a "no no" for a wedding? I just saw a dress that was white at the top and sleeves, but then black from the waist down that I thought was really sharp looking, but, I just don't know if that'd be ok, since it's got so much black in it.
Someone told me that I needed to check with the mother of the bride and get a color like what she's going to be wearing. Is that true?
See, like I said, I need LOTS of help here! :laugh: Thanks in advance. Brenda

Replies

• BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about fashion, so I could use a LOT of help here please!
    My son is getting married on April 25th, so I'm not in a royal hurry. BUT, I need to get a dress to wear, and I haven't got a clue about what to shop for. Do I get a dress long to the floor? Just under the knees? Since the wedding is at the end of April, (around noon) I should get long sleeves, right? Is black a "no no" for a wedding? I just saw a dress that was white at the top and sleeves, but then black from the waist down that I thought was really sharp looking, but, I just don't know if that'd be ok, since it's got so much black in it.
    Someone told me that I needed to check with the mother of the bride and get a color like what she's going to be wearing. Is that true?
    See, like I said, I need LOTS of help here! :laugh: Thanks in advance. Brenda
  • kirstenkohn
    Options
    The rules used to be no black(because it's for a funeral-that was saying that you disaprove) or white(because that's what the bride is supposed to wear), but the rules don't really apply anymore. It depends on the wedding. I say wear what makes you feel good, and as long as your son/ soon to be daughter in law don't care, then go for it! As for matching the brides mom, a lot of people do that, but then again, ask the bride. Sometimes people try to match the wedding colors.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I think black and white are just fine - epsecially is the reception is in the evening (and the majority of the dress is black).

How formal is the wedding venue? I would take cues from that (e.g. a garden wedding, or a mid day reception might allow for a cocktail length dress, whereas a more formal evening reception would warrant a floor length gown).

Traditionally etiquette says the mother of the bride gets to select her colour first, then you would find a co-ordinating colour, however I don't think this necessarily applies anymore, however you ladies could work it out (and consult the bride on the colour of the bridesmaids dresses).

Good luck and congratulations to the bride and groom!
    :flowerforyou:
  • bethskiles
    Options
    88002.png

My son got married last year. I searched frantically for just the right dress-couldn't find the right size, the right color,the right style. I talked with my daughter in law about colors and she said anything was fine with her. Of all places, I finally found one on e-bay. The exact measurements of the dress were listed so I felt like it would fit. It was in a petite size since I needed becuase of my height. When it arrived I was so excited to find it fit perfect. I know it is a bit risky ordering something like this but it worked out for me and I was very happy. Enjoy the wedding. I will always remember our mother son dance. My son is in the army and had just returned from Iraq. He wore his dress uniform and looked so handsome. We danced to "Amercian Soldier"- it was so special. Beth S
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I always have heard it proper to jive with the bride's mother, too, and rather deferring to her. For example, if she was going to buy a champagne colored dress, and you had your eye on one, defer to her and select something else.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

Traditionally etiquette says the mother of the bride gets to select her colour first, then you would find a co-ordinating colour, however I don't think this necessarily applies anymore, however you ladies could work it out (and consult the bride on the colour of the bridesmaids dresses).

Duhhh-- sorry, I just said this same thing-- helps to read fully, doesn't it?

:ohwell:
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    When I got married last year, my mom wore a floor-length dress that was red (close to the color of my bridesmaids) with a black pattern. It had long sleeves, but I don't think those are mandatory. My MIL wore a floor-length champagne colored dress. My MIL actually asked me what my mom was wearing so they WOULDN'T be dressed the same.

I think a lot of it depends on the bride and groom's preferences. I was a pretty laid-back bride and just wanted everyone THERE and COMFORTABLE more than anything. So I picked a color for the bridesmaids and let them choose whatever dress style they wanted in that color (thank you, David's Bridal)!

Better to ask either your son or his fiance!
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    When my daughter got married almost 2 years ago in November, I wore a halter style tea length black and white dress. Her husbands mother opted for a floor length skirt and jacket combo in black. I think you should first consult with your future daughter-in-law to see if she has any particular styles she would prefer or any styles that she would prefer you not wear and then pick something that you will be comfortable in.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Never hurts to ask the bride - your new daughter-in-law, then maybe her mother. Even if she doesn't have a preference it is a courtesy that will be remembered.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I wont have to worry about this problem. My future co-mother in law will select the dress, color and probably sew it for me!!!
    (not that she is the least bit a control freak!)

I am hoping that the kids will decide to get married once I have lost all of my excess weight. I really would love to wear a halter or spaghetti strap thingy and show off my deisal arms! lol

Seriously though, I agree with including your new DIL. I think she will appreciate you wanting her in-put. maybe even go shopping with her. I can only see a bonding moment here!

Congratulations!!:flowerforyou:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm, thanks every one! I guess I WILL ask my future daughter in law. I'm just afraid she's going to want me to be "too" formal, and also that it'll end up costing me a fortune! (She WANTED my second husband and my son's dad to wear tuxes too, like she's making the wedding party men wear!) but my husband vetoed that idea! The wedding will be outside if the weather cooperates, and take place somewhere between 11:00 am and 1:00 pm I believe, so it's not an evening wedding or reception. So I probably wouldn't need a dress to the floor I guess.