how late is too late to exercise?

Options
is 12/1 am too late? i feel like crap when i miss exercise through the day and like it makes a huge difference, like its not enough to just exercise the next day... so i get tempted to exercise this late but havn't yet.... should I just skip out on late night exercising and deal with bad food days/no exercise ??

Replies

• withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I just did some stationary cycling (not long, just 20 minutes) and it's past midnight here... :) Just do a little bit; as long as it doesn't disrupt your sleep, I don't see the harm.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    It's up to you and how your body reacts. I can't exercise after 5 pm because then I can't sleep until 2-3am. However, I don't think there's anything wrong with working out at night if it doesn't affect your sleep.
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    People who workout 4 or more times per week generally have a higher incidence of insomnia as it is. It really is up to you and how well you handle sleep.

Personally, being heavily dependent on potent sleep meds makes it a bad idea in my case.
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    People who workout 4 or more times per week generally have a higher incidence of insomnia as it is. It really is up to you and how well you handle sleep.

Personally, being heavily dependent on potent sleep meds makes it a bad idea in my case.

that is actually great to know because the past months i have had a really hard time falling asleep and i used to always be the first one out
  • musica814
    musica814 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I hate missing days so I've been known to exercise at 1AM. I'm also a night owl...so it works to my advantage. That's probably not gonna work for most people but it fits well into my schedule and I still fall asleep no problem.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I work second shift and always workout after work - so me working out at 12, 1 or even 2am isn't unheard of. I never have issues falling asleep - actually, I generally fall asleep quicker and sleep deeper after I've worked out.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I finished riding my stationary bike a half hour ago and I'm headed to bed in a few minutes. How late it is when you work out is less important than how soon and how well you sleep afterward. If you find that you can't sleep if you work out too close to bedtime, then you'll know it's not a good idea for you.
  • demure_poetic
    Options
    i have been on the treadmill twice a day 7 days a week since i started a couple weeks ago... and my sleep has changed a bit but i find that even thought the exercising sucks evergy from me, it gives me more too because i am getting stronger
  • dianaaponte
    Options
    I have exercised from like 11 or later before and it hasn't effected my sleep. I think you will be fine.
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    ...just finished an hour of kickboxing. Going to take a shower and go to bed. Regardless of the energy exercise gives me, if my body is tired, it will sleep.
  • demure_poetic
    Options
    thanks everyone for your answers
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    When you're dead??

I think that anytime that fits into your schedule is OK. Though, if you are exercising just to make up for consuming unhealthy foods during the day, that may be a separate issue to deal with, but in general I think do what works for you. Eat when it suits you too!