Feeling old and need to rant about CD's

Options
StevLL
StevLL Posts: 921 Member
:grumble: I can't afford anymore technology!!!! Whew I feel better.:bigsmile:
So as I start on the next drawer from our CD holder (apothicary style cd cabinet) I am asking myself "why"? Why am I loading our CD's into the computer so I can then load them onto our IPod to listen to them, "why can't we just keep CD's for a bit longer and slow down technology for bit. I was calculating how much I've spent in the last 40 years on music and it's crazy. I started out listening to music very young about 9 years old. I had 8-tracks and albums (I'm sure someone out there remembers those, I can't be that old, I don't feel that old, when did I get that old?):sad: :grumble: then I bought cassettes, then those can't be used, so I started collecting CD's. Now I'm loading our 400 plus CD's into the computer to put them onto this tiny thing that supposedly will hold all of them and I'm thinking what's next? Okay music industry, I know you gotta eat too, but I'm okay with you going to Mickey D's once in a while, stop changing things for a little bit. I can't afford to keep up. :noway: :grumble:

Replies

• MissYogapants
    MissYogapants Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking of that during the last few days actually. Same thing with movies; you had to copy old family VHS movies to DVD, but soon it'll be time for another copy again.
    I totally agree with you :)
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Lol funny but i totally understand. I showed my daughter a cassette and asked what did i use it for now that made me feel old.
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I bought a new stereo two years ago and it still had a cassette player on it :smile: Neither of us have any cassettes anymore though :laugh:
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    I'm right there with you buddy... no more technology please. Can't keep up. I remember having a record player and 45's.. then one year I got a cassette player so I could record music onto it..... stay quiet and try and stop it before the dj would start talking LOL... ahhhhh the old days

8 tracks sucked!!!
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Agree and disagree. Think of it this way: you can now carry your entire music collection with you. That was never possible before. Or at least not practical.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Look on the bright side. Last year I sold a box of 8-tracks, 12, for $200 to a collector. Keep your tapes people! One day they'll be relics.
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I remember when " downloading" a song meant sitting next to your boom box and pressing the record button when a good song came on the radio..and being mad if you missed any of it..lol
  • monkeysmum
    monkeysmum Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    :laugh: this really made me chuckle

your not that old at 31 i remember having vinyl records and cassetes as a kid oh and a top loading vcr with state of the art remote controls lmao it plugged into the front of vcr and had a wire trail round room but boy did i feel posh

now its all remote, digital, blue ray the music thingys i cannot use iphones and whats them new phones thats size of a kindle but acts like a computer (hubby wants one desperately) ?

not to mention games consoles atari and sega were all the rage with the floppy disc games now its ps3 xbox sumthing the only ones i can use is nintedo ds and wii and then its books on ds and wii fit plus i cant play any actual games on them i feel old when the kids roll there eyes and say oh mother ive shown you already
  • squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    progress kinda blows the biggin sometimes. hang in there.
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    Lol funny but i totally understand. I showed my daughter a cassette and asked what did i use it for now that made me feel old.

This made me giggle
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    We went to visit my grandmother who lived to be 103 but it was way before that. She told us she got something in the mail and she didn't know what to do with it. It was a cassette tape. She told us all the things she did with it trying to figure out what to do with it. After that I think we got her a player and we would send her tapes with the kids on it. It was so hilarious. I am glad my mother 80 does e-mail it really helps. She has an iphone and sometimes it calls me without her knowing it. She is on facebook. There is a program at our Community College for over 50's looking for work. It teaches them technology. Come off it. I don't need anyone to show me how to use word. If they did I would ask them do they know Photoshop, Illustrator AutoCAD, ArcGIS, Dreamweaver, HTML CSS? However I agree everything is set up so we have to upgrade. I dont have the money to travel much so when I did last I did feel behind the time. I can't afford an iPhone either like my Mom. Maybe I am not old enough yet.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, Steve.
    What about 45s, Vinyl records, 8-track tapes, cassette tapes, CDs. Now we have MP3 players, & Ipods.
    First there was VHS, then there were DVDs & now we have Blue-Ray.
    My husband just had to have a Blue-Ray Disc player. I think we've used it once & I don't see the difference between the 2.
    Am I showing my age??
  • _Aimée_
    _Aimée_ Posts: 190
    Options
    What do you need to buy thats new? A CD walkman would have done the job your ipod was doing...apart from being large, heavy yet fragile at the same time, skips alot and you can only carry around as much music as you and pack in a bag. Crap really.

Don't ask technology to slow down, you need to catch up!
  • _Aimée_
    _Aimée_ Posts: 190
    Options
    Also, you people must have the wrong vinyl, but my partner is a producer/dj and uses vinyl ALL the time, like everyday. Just yesterday we had a single arrive on plastic. We've just sold of some of the picture discs we inherited and made around £500, they were going to put them in the rubbish.
  • mrstyler
    mrstyler Posts: 43
    Options
    My friends wonder about us, but we don't always buy the newest and greatest. And I generally refuse to buy music online because I still burn cds to listen to them! We also still haven't bought a flat screen tv. And my cell phone generally just makes phone calls and sends text messages. Me have an iPod touch so my husband can surf the web a bit at work and listen to music while going to work, but that's our main concession.

We definitely do a cost/benefit analysis before jumping on the bandwagon. I still have a VHS player because its just not worth re-buying many of the movies I have on VHS. I don't care about the picture quality on a Disney movie enough to bother. And we are definitely not buying a Blu-Ray player until its absolutely necessary.

I have no problems with people buying new stuff--I just don't care so I don't!
  • iStace2000
    iStace2000 Posts: 42
    Options
    I remember when " downloading" a song meant sitting next to your boom box and pressing the record button when a good song came on the radio..and being mad if you missed any of it..lol

My cassette recorder didn't have radio and my radio didn't have a recording function. I instead had to put my cassette recorder close to the radio speaker in order to record songs. Ah, those were the days.... ;)
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    yeah, well I put off an ipod for a long time. Then I started teaching Zumba. At first I just brought different cd's. Then I had to burn new cd's at least twice a month. Then I just realized it's easier to change playlists whenever I want. So I gave in. Now I have a small Nano that holds up to 4000 songs. I want to change a song. It takes me less than a minute. I remember when I used to haul a huge cassette case with all my aerobics tapes. And I had to cue them up in the car, and I cursed under my breath when I had to suffer through a song I hated, or fast forward.

and then there is running. When I started using cd's, they always skipped when I ran. Bother, bother, bother. Now, I hear a song I really like, it helps me run faster. And it doesn't skip. And it weighs next to nothing. There's nothing like making a new playlist of songs I haven't listened to for a while, and feel it move me. Or I can look through my list and group holiday songs together, motown, rock, I love it, and no more searching for "Where the heck did I put that cd?"

Now I just have to keep from losing my ipod. But I gave in, and I smile more often.

What could they possibly come up with next? I can't imagine.
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    I suppose its nice to have a visual collection of CDs. I feel that way about my books! Although I learned my lesson after moving apartments because they were a pain to carry around so I've stopped buying them and borrow from the library instead.

I love old vinyls!! They should so bring that back. Nothing beats the sound quality and the feeling of dropping that needle.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

And it ticked me off so much when the DJ talked over the beginning or end! :laugh:
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I do remember I was 8 yrs old with an 8 track of dolly partons I will Always Love you, lol. It drives me crazy how fast technology is moving, I use to be able to keep up with all the computer stuff, and now I have given up. lol Its too overwhelming. I'm wanting to move home videos from Vhs tapes and the smaller tapes to dvd's, but I don't know how. I know it can be done though. Crazy times!