bloating, enzymes and potassium

Options
I seem to bloat after I eat my meals. I wake up with a flat stomach but as i eat i end the night looking like i could be pregnant. I have cut down my sodium to below1500mg a day and upped my water. I have heard that it is important to balance sodium and potassium. I rarely make potassium goals. I was wandering if there is any sort of potassium supplement I can take to help with this. I also heard digestive enzymes have helped a lot to stop bloating for some people, what kind do you use? I am also on a low carb diet fyi...so no bananas. And i already eat lots of fiber. Any advice is welcome thx in advance =)

Replies

• inn0c3ntbbygrlx3
    Options
    they make potassium pills :)
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Did your problem start after a course of antibiotics? Consider taking a supplement like Inner Health Plus to make sure you have enough of the right bacteria in your gut. Could you have food sensitivities, e.g. wheat intolerance, lactose intolerance or food allergies? Any family members with the same problem? You may need to seek medical advise. Hope this helps.
  • atred
    atred Posts: 7
    Options
    I have the same issue and after seeing many doctors (one said I had food allergies, another that I didn't), checking for Celiac, intestinal blockage, trying a 'low-fiber' diet, eliminating dairy, drinking disgusting prescription solutions, etc. I gave up.

I still have no answers, but out of frustration decided to try digestive enzymes (GI doc said they were fine to take). They have worked for me AMAZINGLY. I've been taking them since the spring and feel fantastic. I've also eliminated gluten (so fun). My digestive symptoms return if I stop the enzymes, so I know they are working for me .

Two that I've tried and like are Rainbow Light Advanced Enzyme System and Enzymedica Digest Gold.

I do agree it's important to see a doctor, bloating like you've described can be caused by a bunch of things that can be serious like Celiac Disease and Pancreas issues, or a simple dairy intolerance.

Actually, I came across your post because I'm starting to wonder if the enzymes are somehow helping me lose weight. For the first time in my life I'm actually near a 2lb per week weight loss!! I'm only 5'1" and have a slow metabolism... and usually lose .5 to 1lb a week or nothing.

Good luck and hope you feel better.
  • cjw6
    cjw6 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Be careful messing with your potassium (all your electrolytes in fact)- it is maintained by your body within a very narrow range and being outside that range in either direction can be really dangerous to your heart. So don't take potassium pills or supplements without proper discussion with a real-life doctor.