Walking to work

Options
Hi guys,

I've decided that next week I am going to try walking the whole way to work! Apparently it's 3.3 miles and should take me between 51 mins and 1hour 43 mins and I'll burn between 307 and 356 calories depending on how fast I go.

I figure this will be a good way to get some more exercise in and it already takes me 45 minutes to get to work on public transport so it won't make tooooo much difference. I'll set off at 7.50 and hope I don't get lost and I'll make it for 9.30am!

I've already bought this month's travelcard but this could also be a nice way to save some money in the future!

I just hope 3.3 miles won't kill me.

Does anybody else walk this far to work?

x

Replies

• HayleyDavison1
    HayleyDavison1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I walk 1.4miles to work - nothing compared I know, but its mainly uphill and I do it daily in 22mins :) x
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I walk from the office to the station and it takes about 40mins, you get used to it quickly and it helps you lose the weight. Give it a go for the week and see how you go but make sure you have some cash on your travel card just in case it pees down like it did this morning.
  • littlelaurabear
    Options
    I walk from the office to the station and it takes about 40mins, you get used to it quickly and it helps you lose the weight. Give it a go for the week and see how you go but make sure you have some cash on your travel card just in case it pees down like it did this morning.

I'll be brave and walk in the rain if I have to! x
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options

I'll be brave and walk in the rain if I have to! x

I did that this morning and i'm still drying out lol
  • littlelaurabear
    Options
    I did that this morning and i'm still drying out lol

Might wear casual clothes to work and change when i get into the office. we also have a shower i could use if i get too sweaty! x
  • Jaco1974
    Jaco1974 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It is a very nice way to burn some calories and to get out in the open. I only walk home from work as I live 5.3 miles away. It takes me 80 minutes but I do try to walk 4 mph for the whole way. I use www.endomondo.com on my phone to track the distance I walk. It has different challenges you can take part in. It gives you a list of the different people doing it and your ranking in the list. This month I am trying to walk 100 miles. You can browse the challenges page and find one that will be best for you.

Good luck and enjoy
  • plash63
    plash63 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hiya,

I work from home. So dont walk that far. :wink: Working from does allow me to take the dogs out for long 2 hour (3.5mph) walks and those walks have helped me tremendously.

Stick with it rain or shine especially if you have showering facilities at work.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    45 minutes to go 3.3 miles on public transportation!
    And I thought our system was bad!

You are definitely making the right choice!

I walk 0.9 mile from where i park to where I work.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Good for you!

I walk to/from work every day. The minimum distance is about a mile and takes me 13 mins, but I often take a 3-4 mile detour when coming home. I've been doing this for the last year and attribute most of my success to it.

Enjoy!
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I don't usually work until 10 am. I walk between 6 and 7:30 in the morning. That gives me time to clean up and also leaves me with transport in case I have to pick up groceries etc on the way home.
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Good on you!
    I would love to be able to walk to work but it's 5-6 miles from home and I have to nip back at lunchtime to let the dog out so I'd have to turn around as soon as I got there and go back for that! lol :laugh:

Sometimes I get my hubby to bring me into work in the morning and then I walk the mile and a half to the station, catch the train back to where I live and walk another mile home but I couldn't do it every day as it takes too long!
    Px
  • littlelaurabear
    Options
    So I will do this on Monday - let's see how long I last! Wish me luck! x
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I bike with my kids to school - 2 miles, then I ride on to work - 2 miles - they ride to my office after school and we ride home together - 2 miles, so it makes for an easy 6 mile ride. Last year we did it most all March-June, this year, the weather cooperated far less. What I find it because I have my bike, I also pack a better lunch, or ride home and back to eat lunch adding another 4 miles to the day.