Protein shake question!

Options
I randomly read somewhere that if your body doesn't need a protein shake, it tastes bad. But if it DOES need the protein shake, it'll taste good! (Quote: chocolate tastes like chocolate.)

Is there any truth in this?
(It's not a professional book or anything, just a random novel I'm reading.)

Replies

• infosynth
    infosynth Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It's probably anecdotal based on the dubious notion that we crave what our bodies need. If that were true, we'd all be "normal" weight individuals, right?

I've had experiences where I've made myself a meal or snack and eaten it, only not to enjoy it much because it wasn't what I "wanted."

Just a thought.
  • Ptalavera
    Ptalavera Posts: 1
    Options
    Not sure, but i have found that the Special K Chocolate protein shakes tastes soooooo much better when they are really cold. Even at room temp they can tend to have a nasty after taste.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    That makes no sense. Would a Double quarter pounder with cheese taste any better if your body needed it rather than if it didn't?

I once bought a 2lb jug of stuff that tasted like cardboard with a hint of chocolate. I needed it and I finished it all, it just wasn't as enjoyable as it could have been. I read the reviews after the fact and....wow...some graphic descriptions of the taste of the stuff. Lesson learned...read reviews first.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I think most all of them taste bad whether I need the protein or not.
  • sabrafox
    sabrafox Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I like the protein shakes I make at home, but I agree that a lot of the pre-made ones have a chemically aftertaste. Additionally, they do taste better very cold.

I think that barring medical issues, stuff tastes like it tastes. I didn't get to this weight by only eating when things tasted good OR were good for me.

We use Opti Whey, bought on bodybuilding.com, has a bajillion flavors. I like the vanilla ones, mix them with fruit in a blender. Yum!