Scales

Options
I live with three other women in my apartment and two of us have a scale. I stepped on my scale and it read one number and stepped on her scale and it read a different number. A 5 pound difference between scales! Has this ever happened to you and should I just average my number between the two scales or any other opinions? It's confusing because I do want to monitor my weight once a week and don't know which scale to use!

Replies

• DETERMINED2Drop
    DETERMINED2Drop Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I live with three other women in my apartment and two of us have a scale. I stepped on my scale and it read one number and stepped on her scale and it read a different number. A 5 pound difference between scales! Has this ever happened to you and should I just average my number between the two scales or any other opinions? It's confusing because I do want to monitor my weight once a week and don't know which scale to use!
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    I would stick to one scale, and one only. Even if there is a 5lb difference, if both of them are working, then your pounds lost would be the same. You could try buying a new one if youre worried about it!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    try placing a freeweight on the scales. Make sure the scale reads correctly (ie- a 2 pound free weight should weigh 2 pounds!) if it doesn't, adjust the scale until it does.
  • DETERMINED2Drop
    DETERMINED2Drop Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Great idea. I have 5 lb. weights... Thanks! : ) I would have never thought about that.
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    try placing a freeweight on the scales. Make sure the scale reads correctly (ie- a 2 pound free weight should weigh 2 pounds!) if it doesn't, adjust the scale until it does.

That's an awesome idea, Kerri!
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jenn, you should stick to one scale. The calibration could be off on the different scales. I know my digital scale should be kept in one place and not moved around a lot. I have to calibrate it if I do move it. As for the dial scales, there is usually a wheel underneith it that you can move the dial to be set on zero. But I think the free weight idea would work, too!
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Definetlt stick to one, and only one scale! I go by the one at my health club... and the one in a training room, not the one in the men's locker room. Nor do I use the one at home (that's ezzie's baby) nor do I really give a hoot what the one at my Doc's office says. Why? Because to try and use all, or any, of those other scales would just be too confusing, period. So pick one, calibrate it like kerri said, and stick with it, hun! :happy:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    One scale please....and you can have mine!

000201B0.gif