Does stress make you gian?

Daisy_May
Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
OPPS make that GAIN!!!

To start, I had one of the most horrible days of my life yesterday. I caught my boss stealing customers from me(essentially stealing money from me) and had a HUGE fight with him, almost quite my job of 5.5 years.

I made it through the day without bingeing or drinking the bottle of wine I would have killed for and was pretty darn proud of myself. Then this morning I was up 2lbs!!!!

I'm am so upset with my work situation that I keep bursting into tears, I feel like I'm going to throw up all the time, I'm a mess. My wedding is in 5 weeks and I don't want this stress of everything to mess up my weight loss before then. Is it all in my mind or is this stress affecting my weight?

Replies

• Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Stress can affect your cortisol levels, which can make you gain weight. Try to relax, make sure you're drinking lots of water too!
  • its definitely possible. how have you been doing with water, exercise and eating the past week cause i've heard, im no doctor, but ive heard it takes a week for the bad and good to catch up with your body...but stress is definitely a body killer all around

and im sorry youre having work issues. i hear you on that. *hugs*
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    yes stress can do that I think it has something to do with the release of cortisol but i am no fitness expert. I just know what he did was really crappy to you, but you hung on.

I am a bit of a hot head....i would be jobless by now if it ws me in your shoes.

Just keep plugging away breathe deep and focus on karma and payback from the universe. Hopefully it will come in your lifetime so you can see him get his due.
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    if stress makes you eat, then it can make you gain, technically, stress can make you lose, because of the adrenalin it causes that speeds up your metabolism!! STRESS however is not a recommended weight loss aid!!!!

Hope youre feeling better about it today!!
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    it does !

The stress of losing my job last week has hit me and my eating HARD and is all over.

Think it comes down to comfort eating etc
  • Daisy_May
    if stress makes you eat, then it can make you gain, technically, stress can make you lose, because of the adrenalin it causes that speeds up your metabolism!! STRESS however is not a recommended weight loss aid!!!!

Hope youre feeling better about it today!!
    Unfortunatly I'm not, I spent the hour before my boss got in crying at my desk, I wish I had of called in sick and taken the day to get my **** together.
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    wow, what a jerk. I really am amazed at you not quitting. but that would be the loss of "ALL " of your income from this job so you were wise to hold on. Yes a day off might be in order, can you become ill now and go home?
  • cindyrey
    cindyrey Posts: 53
    i TOO HAD A VERY STRESSFUL DAY YESTERDAY, CRIED FOR A FEW HOURS. STRESS WORKS DIFFERENT FOR ME. I HAVE BEEN TOLD STRESS CAN MAKE YOU GAIN, BUT I ALMOST ALWAYS LOSE WHEN I AM TOO STRESSED. I THINK IT IS HOW YOU HANDLE STRESS, SOME WILL TURN TO FOOD OR ALCOHOL(CALORIES),BUT WITH MYSELF I CAN'T EAT, I NOT ONLY LOSE MY APPETITE,BUT I GET NAUSEA.
  • Daisy_May
    wow, what a jerk. I really am amazed at you not quitting. but that would be the loss of "ALL " of your income from this job so you were wise to hold on. Yes a day off might be in order, can you become ill now and go home?
    I'm kinda amazed I managed to keep myself from quitting but I have a wedding and a mortgage to pay for so I need my income!

I wish I could just go home"sick" but I car pool in with someone else and to take the subway and bus home would take over two hours, plus I'd lose a days pay :-(
  • giammarcor
    giammarcor Posts: 217 Member
    So, we've established that stress can make you gain, let's talk about what to do with this boss situation. How did he respond to his being caught with his hand in the cookie jar? Was he apologetic at all? Is there anyone above him that you can go see about this?
  • Daisy_May
    So, we've established that stress can make you gain, let's talk about what to do with this boss situation. How did he respond to his being caught with his hand in the cookie jar? Was he apologetic at all? Is there anyone above him that you can go see about this?
    Unfortunately he owns the company and sees nothing wrong with what he did, so my choices are deal with being stolen from when ever he feels like it or find a new job.
    The problem with finding a new job is I'm trying to get pregnant so with any luck I'll be leaving for a year some time soon anyways and probably just wouldn't come back after my maternity leave.
  • giammarcor
    giammarcor Posts: 217 Member
    Unfortunately he owns the company and sees nothing wrong with what he did, so my choices are deal with being stolen from when ever he feels like it or find a new job.
    The problem with finding a new job is I'm trying to get pregnant so with any luck I'll be leaving for a year some time soon anyways and probably just wouldn't come back after my maternity leave.

Ugh, sorry to hear that. I was a business owner for 9 years before selling my company in 2009 and I never would have thought about stealing customers from my sales people. Considering your situation and your future plans, it looks like all you can do now is grin and bear it and know that what goes around comes around. Karma can be a real *****!

Get married, have your baby, then when you're ready to get back in the work force again, find a job with his competitor and steal all your customers back!!!!
  • pmusholt
    pmusholt Posts: 22 Member
    What a jerk well that old saying is true,:huh: what gos around come around, and he will get his
This discussion has been closed.