Suggestions on a good HRM/Calorie counting watch?

Options
I bought a cheap Sportline watch from Walmart and used it for the first time yesterday, and after entering all my personal info (height, weight, gender,etc) the calorie counter said I only burned 50 calories after doing 20 minutes of 30 day shred. This seems way too low. I know I burned more. Is it worth using a HRM watch? Even if I spend more money, are they very accurate? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I beleive those ones only calculate the burn when the button is pushed, so if you pushed it 3 or 4 times, that was your calories burn during those periods.
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I have the polar FT7F and it works great. Make sure that whatever you get comes with a chest strap so that you get the most accurate read :)
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Does it have a chest strap also? I just bought a polar ft4 last night and will be trying it out today...I've read so many great things about this type. Am really interested in seeing calories burned using it vs mfp calculations!
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I'd get a Polar HRM and watch. Polar is the industry standard for accuracy. If you're 172# and did the 30DS, you most definitely burned more than 50 calories, LOL That's a TOUGH workout!
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT:

The BodyMedia fit is freaking amazing. There is nothing better. Google it and read up on it, but be aware you're looking at about $220 + monthly fee. But it rocks. I bought one a month ago, and it's AWESOME.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I saw you posted in a another topic I posted in(about the problem with the Polar FT7) and the guy above you who said that the girl should get rid of her polar and get a sportline is wrong.. so don't listen to him.

Honestly, the best brand out there is Polar.. and you do want one with a chest strap. If your just looking for the basics, the FT4 or Ft7 should work fine.. they seem to be the most popular on here.

Steer clear of Timex.. Esp, the unisex zone trainer(retails for around 50 dollars). Even tho it has a chest strap, its no more accurate then the sportsline you have now and really overestimates on calories.
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I have a polar HRM and have nothing but problems with it. It is sad because I hear such great things about them and I have nothing good to say :(. I am in the market for a new one myself. I am going to look into the BodyMedia fit! Good luck finding one :)
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I have a polar HRM and have nothing but problems with it. It is sad because I hear such great things about them and I have nothing good to say :(. I am in the market for a new one myself. I am going to look into the BodyMedia fit! Good luck finding one :)

You will die loving it. Seriously, it's awesome.

No, I don't work for them.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT:

The BodyMedia fit is freaking amazing. There is nothing better. Google it and read up on it, but be aware you're looking at about $220 + monthly fee. But it rocks. I bought one a month ago, and it's AWESOME.

I love my BB too, but it's not a heart rate monitor.

That being said, I am addicted to it, LOL. I love seeing my steps for the day because if I'm coming up short, I will make the effort to go get in those steps so I make my step goal for the day. The calories, too. But my favorite part of the BB is that it tracks my sleep. It's dead on accurate, which is kind of creepy, lol. It's like someone is hiding in my closet watching when I toss and turn or something.

One thing to be aware of, is the BB is not waterproof, so you have to take it off for any water sports. It is also not accurate for cyclists, which sucks balls because I'm a cyclist and would really love the accuracy of the BB for my sport of choice, but alas, the best they can tell me is 'wear it on your leg to get more accurate results, but that's not where the BB was designed to be worn, so the results will still be off' Well gee, thanks. LOL

My device of choice is my Polar F11. It's the shizzle. :)