P90 or P90X or other recommendations?

Hi all,

I'm pretty new here. I've been struggling with food lately for all kinds of emotional/life reasons, which I won't go into here. But regular exercise is something that I enjoy and it helps me feel more positive so I'm more likely to deal with the issues that lead to overeating.

I try to get 6 days of exercise in by biking, spinning, doing elliptical and dabbling with weight machines at the gym. I'd like to purchase some DVD's, especially for strength training for those time when the weather is really bad or I don't have time for the gym. My friend is a coach for Beach Body and she's had incredible success with Slim in 6, but I really don't want a program that you have to do every day, as I think getting outside and to the gym is good for my mental health.

I'm 46, 5'1", have a very muscular build and would like to lose about 15 lbs, mostly around my middle and back.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

86039.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• Hi all,

I'm pretty new here. I've been struggling with food lately for all kinds of emotional/life reasons, which I won't go into here. But regular exercise is something that I enjoy and it helps me feel more positive so I'm more likely to deal with the issues that lead to overeating.

I try to get 6 days of exercise in by biking, spinning, doing elliptical and dabbling with weight machines at the gym. I'd like to purchase some DVD's, especially for strength training for those time when the weather is really bad or I don't have time for the gym. My friend is a coach for Beach Body and she's had incredible success with Slim in 6, but I really don't want a program that you have to do every day, as I think getting outside and to the gym is good for my mental health.

I'm 46, 5'1", have a very muscular build and would like to lose about 15 lbs, mostly around my middle and back.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

86039.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ericarey85
    ericarey85 Posts: 312 Member
    p90x isn't for you then, its ment for daily use. i do belly danceing, it's really great for your middle areas.

:flowerforyou:
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    I think Erica is right, probably not P90X. But P90 or Turbo Jam would be good choices. I personally am more partial to TJ, having done both. I think the music is better, Chalene is fun. P90 got monotonous after a while. But that's just my two cents! :smile:
  • cquick
    cquick Posts: 220
    I think Erica is right, probably not P90X. But P90 or Turbo Jam would be good choices. I personally am more partial to TJ, having done both. I think the music is better, Chalene is fun. P90 got monotonous after a while. But that's just my two cents! :smile:

i agree with her here on so many levels....

i do suggest doing p90 first, so you can kickstart your metabolism and build muscle. I lost fifty pounds in thirty days on p90, but i was also adament about keeping a strict (but delicious and gratifying) diet.

i then hopped onto turbo jam, and loved it! it gave me what needed to lose that last ten-fifteen pounds...but i've even tabled out on that, and now I can't wait until chalean extreme....

keep up the gym and outdoor activities too! they are so good for you, and all that fresh air...ahhhh!!!
  • Thanks, guys! Yeah, I heard that about P90X. I'd love to do it one day, when I'm willing to give up other activities.

Cquick, did you do p90 in combination with anything else? What scares me about all these programs is that they seem to be set up to be all-inclusive, which doesn't leave time or energy for outdoor exercise or gym. I'm looking for something to combine with my outdoors/gym activities.

I've sampled TJ. I know lots of people really like it, but I find C's personality too perky, especially first thing in the morning. Don't kill me, this is just IMO. :embarassed: Beyond the personality issue I kinda liked Turbo Sculpt and Ab Jam, but would like a program that has more strength training and less aerobics, since I'm planning to get in most aerobics elsewhere.

Thanks again.
  • cquick
    cquick Posts: 220
    Thanks, guys! Yeah, I heard that about P90X. I'd love to do it one day, when I'm willing to give up other activities.

Cquick, did you do p90 in combination with anything else? What scares me about all these programs is that they seem to be set up to be all-inclusive, which doesn't leave time or energy for outdoor exercise or gym. I'm looking for something to combine with my outdoors/gym activities.

I've sampled TJ. I know lots of people really like it, but I find C's personality too perky, especially first thing in the morning. Don't kill me, this is just IMO. :embarassed: Beyond the personality issue I kinda liked Turbo Sculpt and Ab Jam, but would like a program that has more strength training and less aerobics, since I'm planning to get in most aerobics elsewhere.

Thanks again.

hey girlie, here goes...

i didn't combine it with anything else! the diet and the program (one day of weights, one day of cardio) was all i needed...

i truly do suggest doing something continuous for a while, just so your muscle groups can tear down and rebuild. if you add this program to your daily life, it will only take about fourty five minutes out of your day, and you'll still have energy to do the other things you love, i swear on it!

oh, and chalean is a bit of a poptart, i understand how you feel, but if you ever start likin' cardio more than the weights (which happened to me, oddly enough) you might just feel like you've bubblegummed chalene under the table sometimes....i know i have!

you can do it, babe, commit and stick to it and you'll be feeling sexy/fit in no time! :bigsmile:
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    P90x is a great program, but it is a 6 day a week thing. Howwever, it is most definitely not boring, changing up every few weeks. I do mine at the gym, I bring a mini DVD player with the tape in it. Sometimes I get strange looks, but more often than not, a lot of interested questions. You could always do the x at home for the weight lifting portion and on the cardio days, go to the gym. You cold also look int 10 min trainer, which is a number of workouts that you can stack to make a total body workout.. HTH
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    I start with P90... I lost 25 lbs. in 90 days using that program.

Let me know if you have any questions... I actually have an extra copy of P90 and Turbo Jam, unopened, so let me know if you maybe would like one of these.

Cheers!
  • I went from scrawny to muscular in 90 days with p90x. When I started my girlfriend had already completed a round of the X and she was lifting heavier weights than me. Talk about motivation! Im lifting three or four times heavier than she is now depending on the exercise and I look fabulous naked now :smile: :smile:
  • andtckrtoo
    andtckrtoo Posts: 27 Member
    I highly recommend the Gym Series, Pyramids, Muscle Max (total body, but with several premixes) or the 4 Day Split series by Cathe (http://www.thecathenation.com/) if you are looking for well thought out and planned weight workouts with good balance and great coaching on form. She is really good, not perky, and comes across as being very genuine. The production quality is far superior to P90X (which I have done and I like, but I find myself reaching for Cathe more often. And these do not HAVE to be done in any set order. The Gym Series are three DVD's each an hour long, and each with a premixes of about 30 minutes if pressed for time.
  • Andtckrtoo, I just saw your post after I ordered P90 (not X). I've never heard of Cathe before, but will look into it at some point. For now it will probably be good for me do a program.

Thank you all for contributing. Now, if only can get at least one day of clean eating in. :ohwell:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Andtckrtoo, I just saw your post after I ordered P90 (not X). I've never heard of Cathe before, but will look into it at some point. For now it will probably be good for me do a program.

Thank you all for contributing. Now, if only can get at least one day of clean eating in. :ohwell:

Clean eating is really the key to any exercise program! Good luck w/ P90X, it's an awesome program!

And I do love Cathe workouts also. She's what got me into weight training before P90X!

Jess
  • I start with P90... I lost 25 lbs. in 90 days using that program.

Let me know if you have any questions... I actually have an extra copy of P90 and Turbo Jam, unopened, so let me know if you maybe would like one of these.

Cheers!

I would like to try the Turbo Jam. I just ordered the P90 set on beachbody.com yesterday, but I like to switch it up some so if i found something i could do in addition to the P90 three times a wk, that would be awesome!