Weight is stuck and trying low carbs....

Options

Replies

• Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I never tried low carbs before and hopefully I won't want to kill someone. My weight is stuck and I really need to try something else. Do you have any advice for me. What to eat, what not to eat... how to survive... be carefull about this ... think about that...

I would really appreciate.

It's hard to say without knowing all of your stats and calorie goals right now. If you're satisfied with your Calorie goal for achieving what you want try adjusting the percentages of your daily calories to something like, Protein 40%, Carbs 25%, Fat 35%. What carbs you do eat should be solid carbs, minimize / eliminate breads if you can stand it. Try and consume some good fats. You can adjust these values up-and-down as you plateau but don't do an Atkins Diet type thing because the diet doesn't really restrict the calorie intake. You can still gain weight on a low-carb diet, so stay within your calorie target.

You really should read the book. You don't need to count calories if you keep your carbs under 50 grams a day or less. Your body will prefer to burn fat if you have any on your body at that level. My target is 2000+ cals a day but rarely eat that much because low carbing has eliminated my cravings and I am satisfied much longer without all the carbage. I have lost 8.2 lbs since Monday. My micro-nutrient goals are 5% carbs, 25% protein and 70% FAT. Yummmmmm . I have been recommending everyone go and watch an amazing You Tube video filmed at a lecture from Stanford University. It is a nutritionist (vegetarian, I might add) that did a year long study of Atkins compared to other low fat/high carb diets (Ornish). Atkins won across the board. The most amazing thing it did was correct triglyceride and HDL lipid panels in all the Atkins group compared to the Ornish group that had elevated levels of triglycerides and HDL.

Much, if not all, of the intial loss in a [very] low carb diet is water. In the long run, it's still wise to mind your total intake vs. looking only at carbohydrates. I know Taubes and others would suggest otherwise, but anyway you look at it you can't lose or maintain in the long run in a caloric surplus. Dietary fat consumption still carries energy value and excess is still stored in the body.
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I never tried low carbs before and hopefully I won't want to kill someone. My weight is stuck and I really need to try something else. Do you have any advice for me. What to eat, what not to eat... how to survive... be carefull about this ... think about that...

It's hard to say without knowing all of your stats and calorie goals right now. If you're satisfied with your Calorie goal for achieving what you want try adjusting the percentages of your daily calories to something like, Protein 40%, Carbs 25%, Fat 35%. What carbs you do eat should be solid carbs, minimize / eliminate breads if you can stand it. Try and consume some good fats. You can adjust these values up-and-down as you plateau but don't do an Atkins Diet type thing because the diet doesn't really restrict the calorie intake. You can still gain weight on a low-carb diet, so stay within your calorie target.

You really should read the book. You don't need to count calories if you keep your carbs under 50 grams a day or less. Your body will prefer to burn fat if you have any on your body at that level. My target is 2000+ cals a day but rarely eat that much because low carbing has eliminated my cravings and I am satisfied much longer without all the carbage. I have lost 8.2 lbs since Monday. My micro-nutrient goals are 5% carbs, 25% protein and 70% FAT. Yummmmmm . I have been recommending everyone go and watch an amazing You Tube video filmed at a lecture from Stanford University. It is a nutritionist (vegetarian, I might add) that did a year long study of Atkins compared to other low fat/high carb diets (Ornish). Atkins won across the board. The most amazing thing it did was correct triglyceride and HDL lipid panels in all the Atkins group compared to the Ornish group that had elevated levels of triglycerides and HDL.

Much, if not all, of the intial loss in a [very] low carb diet is water. In the long run, it's still wise to mind your total intake vs. looking only at carbohydrates. I know Taubes and others would suggest otherwise, but anyway you look at it you can't lose or maintain in the long run in a caloric surplus. Dietary fat consumption still carries energy value and excess is still stored in the body.

We can agree to disagree. I lost 80+ lbs two years ago (gained back because of high stress and stupidity). I am part of another low carb community that has many 100+lb losers who all eat 70% fat daily and have lost their weight and kept it off for years. There is something wrong with the old Thermodynamics hypothesis. IT just doesn't explain why ketogenic diets work compared to calorie restricted diets.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options

We can agree to disagree. I lost 80+ lbs two years ago (gained back because of high stress and stupidity). I am part of another low carb community that has many 100+lb losers who all eat 70% fat daily and have lost their weight and kept it off for years. There is something wrong with the old Thermodynamics hypothesis. IT just doesn't explain why ketogenic diets work compared to calorie restricted diets.

I'm referring to total caloric intake, not the relative percentage of fat consumed.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    You really should read the book. You don't need to count calories if you keep your carbs under 50 grams a day or less.
    Stopped reading after that. Please stop spreading completely false information on these boards.
  • LaJauna
    Options
    You really should read the book. You don't need to count calories if you keep your carbs under 50 grams a day or less.
    Stopped reading after that. Please stop spreading completely false information on these boards.

Yes. Sir. Anything you say! I have done my research. I am convinced of what I know and have experienced. We can agree to disagree.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Yes. Sir. Anything you say! I have done my research. I am convinced of what I know and have experienced. We can agree to disagree.
    Are you trying to say that you can lose weight so long as you eat less than 50g carbs per day? Because that's how your statement can be interpreted.

If so: please explain. If not, maybe clarify.
  • LaJauna
    Options
    Are you trying to say that you can lose weight so long as you eat less than 50g carbs per day? Because that's how your statement can be interpreted.

If so: please explain. If not, maybe clarify.
    Yes, that is what I am saying and what the Primal Blueprints states and what the Atkins studies have proven, over and over again. The OLD science that has been spewed for the last 40 years is flawed. Calories in does not equal calories out. There is something else going on. Read the books and check out some good scientific studies that are popping up every where lately.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Yes, that is what I am saying and what the Primal Blueprints states and what the Atkins studies have proven, over and over again. The OLD science that has been spewed for the last 40 years is flawed. Calories in does not equal calories out. There is something else going on. Read the books and check out some good scientific studies that are popping up every where lately.
    Primal blueprint isn't scientific.

Show me research that shows eating a caloric surplus, but keeping carbs below 50g, will NOT result in weight/fat gain.

Can't wait to see.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Bumping so LaJuana can find me those studies.
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    To the OP. Good luck with what you decide. I think it dies work best if you pick a program research it thoroughly and them commit to it 100%. For most of us we all have success that way. When I am completely on plan with my eating I try to do a 2 bites protein 1 bite veggie kind of approach an I don't shy away from healthy fats and get a min of 100 grams of protein a day bit that is my tweaked version of a couple of different plans that I had to figure out what I could live with long term. I am far from perfect and struggle with food issues but I have lost weight.
  • mynameisnutz
    mynameisnutz Posts: 123
    Options

I found a study. Here-
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa0708681

In this 2-year trial, we randomly assigned 322 moderately obese subjects (mean age, 52 years; mean body-mass index [the weight in kilograms divided by the square of the height in meters], 31; male sex, 86%) to one of three diets: low-fat, restricted-calorie; Mediterranean, restricted-calorie; or low-carbohydrate, non–restricted-calorie.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    I found a study. Here-
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa0708681

In this 2-year trial, we randomly assigned 322 moderately obese subjects (mean age, 52 years; mean body-mass index [the weight in kilograms divided by the square of the height in meters], 31; male sex, 86%) to one of three diets: low-fat, restricted-calorie; Mediterranean, restricted-calorie; or low-carbohydrate, non–restricted-calorie.
    That doesn't show participants eating a caloric surplus, yet low carb, and still losing fat.
  • mynameisnutz
    Options
    That doesn't show participants eating a caloric surplus, yet low carb, and still losing fat.

Your original ask was this:

And the answer is an unequivocal yes. In fact, the carbo limited but non-calorie limited group lost the most weight and waist size and had the best lipid profile of all three groups.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options

Your original ask was this:

And the answer is an unequivocal yes. In fact, the carbo limited but non-calorie limited group lost the most weight and waist size and had the best lipid profile of all three groups.
    Wow, what a miserable typo on my part. I followed it up a few posts later with the TRUE intent of my question:

"Show me research that shows eating a caloric surplus, but keeping carbs below 50g, will NOT result in weight/fat gain."

As that was in response to LaJauna saying:

"You don't need to count calories if you keep your carbs under 50 grams a day or less. "

My fault!
  • mynameisnutz
    Options
    Wow, what a miserable typo on my part. I followed it up a few posts later with the TRUE intent of my question:

"Show me research that shows eating a caloric surplus, but keeping carbs below 50g, will NOT result in weight/fat gain."

As that was in response to LaJauna saying:

"You don't need to count calories if you keep your carbs under 50 grams a day or less. "

My fault!

All good, my brother.
  • LaJauna
    Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo&feature=player_embedded#at=1466
    Enjoy.
    I have read many anecdotal stories, (I know not very scientific) of patients who ate 2 or 3 times the recommended calorie limits while on Atkins losing weekly at a steady pace. I know for me, I consume between 1500 and 2000+ calories a day without much exercise and tend to lose at a fairly fast pace. I am not very insulin resistant so I can eat a quite high fat percentage (high calorie) a day and still continue to lose weight and my body changes quite rapidly as I am losing weight.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Enjoy.
    I have read many anecdotal stories, (I know not very scientific) of patients who ate 2 or 3 times the recommended calorie limits while on Atkins losing weekly at a steady pace. I know for me, I consume between 1500 and 2000+ calories a day without much exercise and tend to lose at a fairly fast pace. I am not very insulin resistant so I can eat a quite high fat percentage (high calorie) a day and still continue to lose weight and my body changes quite rapidly as I am losing weight.
    I don't want a Youtube video. I want the ACTUAL study itself. Find me the direct source. I want to see a published study that says, "participants ate above caloric maintenance, but ate less than 50g per day, and still lost weight."

You made that claim, that's what I want to see.

P.S. according to the physical law of nature, the law of thermodynamics, what you are saying is impossible. You can't eat MORE than our body needs to sustain, regardless of macronutrient composition, and still LOSE weight. That's impossible.

So find me the study that disproves a physical law of nature all due to a low carb diet.

P.S. consuming 2,000 calories and losing weight isn't mind-boggling? That's what I do. But I also eat 150 - 200g carbs. Most people underestimate their maintenance, in my opinion.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Participants ate less than 2,000 calories in that study and lost weight.

I don't understand how that proves you just have to watch carb intake, not calories, and you'll lose weight.

Please clear this up for me.
  • LaJauna
    Options
    Enjoy.
    I don't want a Youtube video. I want the ACTUAL study itself. Find me the direct source. I want to see a published study that says, "participants ate above caloric maintenance, but ate less than 50g per day, and still lost weight."

You made that claim, that's what I want to see.

P.S. according to the physical law of nature, the law of thermodynamics, what you are saying is impossible. You can't eat MORE than our body needs to sustain, regardless of macronutrient composition, and still LOSE weight. That's impossible.

So find me the study that disproves a physical law of nature all due to a low carb diet.

P.S. consuming 2,000 calories and losing weight isn't mind-boggling? That's what I do. But I also eat 150 - 200g carbs. Most people underestimate their maintenance, in my opinion.

Let's assume just for arguments sake that the Laws of Thermodynamics are flawed. Then what? I am saying I personally know many people who continue to eat more calories then they can burn in a day/week and continue to lose weight while eating low carb. Just saying.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

I read the book, did the diet for six months and I did okay with it, but the concept is a little outdated. It's simple math, if you consume more calories then you expend you will not lose weight. Various nutritionist have taken the Atkins diet and refined it to be more effective since then, John Berardi (Get Shredded), Mauro DiPasquale's Anabolic Diet, and Chris Shugart even did a refinement to the Anabolic diet. Dr. Atkins was an intelligent man and provided a good basis for the diet, but other intelligent nutritionists have taken that concept and made it better. They all agree, you still have to control your calories to maintain and definitely lose weight.