Fat intake / prescribed allowances

Options
I'm only into this for two days, but already noticed that my daily calculated and recorded fat intake is coming up higher than what is prescribed, based on 1590 calories. I have a calorie defecit of around 200 calories, but I'm worried I won't see any results with my fat intake coming in over than what is prescribed. Any thoughts? Incidently, my protein is a little over and my carbs are under what is prescribed also.

Replies

• katharos3
    katharos3 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You can change it to fit your individual needs. "Goals>Change Goals>Custom: Manually set my own custom fitness goals" I ended up increasing my calories a little, and then changing it to 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein. I feel better and more balanced with it set this way, and I've lost 7 lbs in the last 4 weeks. :)
  • Gemini_at_36
    Gemini_at_36 Posts: 207
    Options
    My dietician says you can't get too much protein. Carbs will slow the weight down so try to go low on carbs. And fat.....well the word speaks for itself, go low on fat. :flowerforyou:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    My dietician says you can't get too much protein. Carbs will slow the weight down so try to go low on carbs. And fat.....well the word speaks for itself, go low on fat. :flowerforyou:

You don't have to go low on fat, just make sure the fat you eat are healthy fats. A balanced diet consists of fat from 20-30% of total calories.
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options

You don't have to go low on fat, just make sure the fat you eat are healthy fats. A balanced diet consists of fat from 20-30% of total calories.

So for instance, if i eat 3 tbsp of olive oil which equates to 360 calories and 46 grams of fat that this is acceptable? I always feel bad for going way over on fat for the day just by eating/using olive oil even though the general concensus is that olive oil is good for you. I wish there was a feature on here that would differentiate the fats and sugars you ingest i.e. good/bad fats and fruit/candy sugars.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

So for instance, if i eat 3 tbsp of olive oil which equates to 360 calories and 46 grams of fat that this is acceptable? I always feel bad for going way over on fat for the day just by eating/using olive oil even though the general concensus is that olive oil is good for you. I wish there was a feature on here that would differentiate the fats and sugars you ingest i.e. good/bad fats and fruit/candy sugars.

That would be okay, but you would have to avoid all other fats the rest of the day if you are no a 1200 cal/day diet as 360 calories from fat is 30% of your 1200 limit. And most foods have some fat in them. So I would try to spread the fat cals around to multiple foods throughout the day for a total of 46 grams, assuming you are on a 1200 cal/day diet. You can have more than 46 if you eat more than 1200 or on days you workout.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    fat does not make you fat. Excess calories is the issue.

Your body needs fats to function. Stick to the good ones like nuts, avocados, coconut oil etc.

I aim for about 30-40% fat as I'm lower carb.
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

[/quote]
    That would be okay, but you would have to avoid all other fats the rest of the day if you are no a 1200 cal/day diet as 360 calories from fat is 30% of your 1200 limit. And most foods have some fat in them. So I would try to spread the fat cals around to multiple foods throughout the day for a total of 46 grams, assuming you are on a 1200 cal/day diet. You can have more than 46 if you eat more than 1200 or on days you workout.
    [/quote]

I'm more on maintenance mode...I eat 1400ish calories on normal non-workout days and about 1600-1700 on workout days. I think my "allowable" fat content for the day is around 46 and it goes up when I work out. I'm thinking I shouldn't feel so awful when I go over my fat allowance if I'm using olive oil in cooking or dressings...it's just when I look at the raw numbers at the end of the day I get bummed.
  • vitamina19
    vitamina19 Posts: 30
    Options

Thank you. Low fat is not the answer! Americans have lowered the percentage of fat in their diet over the past 40 years because our overall calories have gone up. Just watch your overall calories!
  • soundjunkie
    soundjunkie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much all. The only thing I know about fat is to eat the good ones...avacado, EVOO, Expeller pressed Canola, limit the ok ones like safflower, sunflower, coconut and NEVER eat the bad ones - trans-fats or hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils.

All I know is that my food plan up to yesterday was not losing me any weight. After recording my first day I realized my calorie count was ok, but the fat and protein were over the limits prescribed. Insanity is defined as doing the same thing over expecting different results and always getting the same results. I am going to restrict my fats and proteins to the acceptable levels and go from there.