Running Question: Looking for a website

Options
therealangd
therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a website that will take a plotted course on a map and turn it into some sort of treadmill incline list.

My thought is that I might not be able to train on the half marathon course that I'm running in October beforehand. I thought if I could sort of simulate it on a treadmill, it might give me an idea of what to expect.

I have entered the run in Runkeeper, so I do have the elevations, and I could sit with pen and paper and figure it out myself, if I had to.

But I don't wanna. :p

Any thoughts?

PS: I was looking around trying to find one myself and came across www.routeloops.com That's a pretty cool website if anyone is interested. You enter your start location and your distance and it will create a looped street route.

Replies

• fosterks
    fosterks Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Try mapmyrun, it shows elevations
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options
    That is very interesting :). That would be nice to be able to connect a route to your treadmill...I think the treadmill would have to be connected to the internet someway though. I'm sure there is some high tech treadmills somewhere out there!! God Bless!
  • therealangd
    Options
    That is very interesting :). That would be nice to be able to connect a route to your treadmill...I think the treadmill would have to be connected to the internet someway though. I'm sure there is some high tech treadmills somewhere out there!! God Bless!

I don't need it to be connected directly. I would just like it to print out.

Something maybe like

0.00 - .19 miles 2% incline
    .19 - .27 miles 4% incline
    .27 - .5 miles -1% incline
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Bigger marathons will publish a course profile on their sites along with the course map. However, it's usually in height rather than percentage slope, so you'd have to do some hard sums!

Have a look on runnersworld.co.uk in the forums for race reports. Quite often you'll get insights from runners you wouldn't get anywhere else, like the last half-mile of the Windsor half is a killer!

As fosterks says, maymyrun would be good too.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options

I don't need it to be connected directly. I would just like it to print out.

Something maybe like

0.00 - .19 miles 2% incline
    .19 - .27 miles 4% incline
    .27 - .5 miles -1% incline

The runkeeper website shows splits at the bottom, so you could just do it by mile.

For instance, from runkeeper you'll see
    Mile Pace Elev
    1 10.00 100

You still have to figure out the slope (%) but it's easy. Elevation divided by distance times 100%.
    There are 5280 feet in 1 mile, you don't need your pace for anything.

So for the first mile, the slope would be 100/5280 x 100 = about 1.9%

So set the incline to about 2% for the first mile, and do the same for the rest of the miles.
  • therealangd
    Options
    Thanks. Using Roadie's suggestion, I did it manually and every change in elevation. It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be.

I'm looking forward to trying it. I'm glad to say though that it won't be today, because I think I'm going to be able to run outside. It's stopped raining.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Using Roadie's suggestion, I did it manually and every change in elevation. It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be.

I'm looking forward to trying it. I'm glad to say though that it won't be today, because I think I'm going to be able to run outside. It's stopped raining.

Cool, let us know how it goes. What were you planning on doing for the miles where there is a decline? Running downhill can really take its toll on your shins if you're not used to it, but I'm not sure how you'd train for it.
  • therealangd
    Options
    I'm just going to set the treadmill at 0. Downhills are hard, but momentum works for them. It's the endurance on the inclines that I'm most concerned about.

I actually have a 7 mile run planned on sunday. It's supposed to piss pour rain here, so I thought that would be a good chance to try it out on the treadmill and see how it goes.