Plantar fascitis?

Options
Is there any relief from this. It has really been flaring up a lot lately and it hurts so bad. I'm trying to train for a 5K but this morning on my jog, I just couldnt make it though and had to walk. Is there anything to help ease the pain? And does it ever go away?

Replies

• jad54
    jad54 Posts: 192
    Options
    I've had before as well and it sucks. The only thing that heals it, at least in my case, was time and a lot of icing sessions. It'll linger forever if you try and workout while it's healing. I found that out the hard way. Everyone responds differently, but my cousin played bball in college and it was the same for him. There is an orthotic device you can slip in your shoes to help alleviate the pain. I actually went with the night splints and they helped quite a bit. But in the end, rest is the key to beating this battle.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    rest! Also, roll a frozen water bottle under your foot throughout the day. If you can't use a water bottle, a golf ball works great too. When I had it, I would keep the ball under my desk at work and 'massage' my foot almost all day while at my desk. It finally went away, and hasn't come back! :)
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I so feel for you...I had it in both feet at the same time. I did the stretching exercises and used a ball to roll around under my feet. Bought the inserts for it from Dr. Sholls and it went away...I have never been bothered with it since. I did soak my feet at the end of each day for awhile in Epson salt's bath. Good luck! btw..exercises are listed online..just look them up. Hope this helps you.
  • cpofsky
    cpofsky Posts: 3
    Options
    Have you tried using the foam roller to loosen up the muscles in the calf? That might help, it hurts while you are doing it, but it might give you some relief.

Also, you might want to try magnet inserts in your shoes. I know people who swear by that! I think you can get them on line at Nikken (sp?).

Good luck!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I have had it in the past, don't have it now. Icing, time, and lots (and I mean lots) of stretching. For icing what seemed to work best is a frozen water bottle that you roll along the floor with you foot. Stretching of the calf muscles and thus the Achilles tendon will also stretch the plantar fascia. I found orthortics helped a bit, but the real key IMHO was stretching and strengthening that area to prevent the problem in the first place. If I still had the sheet my doctor gave me showing the various stretches I would scan and post, but I don't.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Good to know that I'm not the only one suffering from this right now... makes walking feel terrible and I haven't really even thought about running since it really flared up.
  • aames810
    aames810 Posts: 2
    Options
    I also had plantar fasciitis when I was training for a half marathon. I know it seems ridiculous, but the best thing I found for it was the Strassburg sock. http://www.thesock.com/
  • VSgirl2010
    VSgirl2010 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It can take a year to heal. I have it too. Because i started jogging again, it flared up on me recently. Ice and find yourself a PF *sock* to wear to bed at night. A lot of running shoe specialty stores will carry them. Or you could look it up online. Its a sock that has a strap connected to the toe then connected to the ankle or the knee depending on the style/brand of sock you get and it gently stretches the bottom of your foot all night so that it doesn't contract while you are sleeping. It will help with the healing process. They run about $40 or so. They are worth it!
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    The only thing that fixed mine was wearing that boot at night....along with steriod shots in my foot....those shots hurt like hell, but i tell you what they are worth it
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yes I had it before I started jogging but it would only flare up a little and then go away. It seems this time it just hurts most of the time. I will look into that sock and try icing it. Im glad to know some people have had it not return.
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I had this for about a year. My doctor told me it was due to my weight. I was in a catch 22 because I couldn't excercise with the pain, but the pain wouldn't go away until I lost some weight. I got some gel heel inserts from my doctor to help with with the pain. I did stretching, icing and lots of Advil. It helped a little bit. The next option was to get a cortizone shot in my heel that would temporarily relieve the paid for a couple of months. My mom had that once and said the shot was REALLY painful. Being the baby that I am, I wouldn't do it. Now I don't recommend this, but what I did was excercise through the pain. Walking, jogging and weight lifting. It wasn't easy, but I was really motivated to lose the weight so that it would go away. After I lost about 30 lbs, I finally got some relief. I still have a long way to go in my weight loss journey, but at least I got over that hurdle. I'm not sure if you're in the same situation I was, but if so, the weight lifting really helped boost my weight loss. Good Luck.
  • queen3510
    queen3510 Posts: 180
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with the same thing. And I tell you it is no fun getting out of the bed or standing up after sitting for a while. Thank you all for the different strategies in alleviating this pain. I will definitely look for the PF sock and get me a frozen water bottle for under my desk. Thanks again.:smile:
  • tinovr
    tinovr Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had it as well... real bad at first.. I used the overnight brace and that helped in the morning... but still got a bit of pain during the day... Now it's very manageable...

a good fitting pair of shoes with good arch support is key... I also bought an arch support band which I wear daily which helps a lot..

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-arch-bandage/ID=prod3984762-product
  • queen3510
    queen3510 Posts: 180
    Options
    Congrats Tin on being 9#'s away from your goal. Excellent!!!

Thank you for the link. I'll be heading over to Walgreens after work.
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    the thing that got rid of mine in the end was getting an insert for my shoe. You can get them custom made for hundreds of dollars but a doctor friend of mine reccommened getting one from a sports shop that you warm up in the oven and then wear immediately so that it conforms to the shape of our foot. It was $35 and worked like a dream even when I was exercising. Cant remember its name though:blushing: but I still have mine in my running shoes 2 years later:smile:
  • cawfeesong
    cawfeesong Posts: 34
    Options
    I have this BAD!!! I work out even when I am having flare ups which is probably not too smart.. I feel your pain!
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I've suffered with this too; ended up on crutches [ouch!]

Try and find some non-impact work to do - like cycling :wink:
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I put a bottle of water in the freezer and will keep it iced. I am sure it stems from being overweight, and I have worked on my feet on concrete floors for 17 years and not always had the best of shoes. through time I have lost a lot of arch in my foot and it just seems to hurt, I just noticed it flaring up more since I started running.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I have had this in the past too and was prescribed orthotics and pain med which niether worked so I searched a natural remedy book that said Tumeric relieves inflamation. I mixed an 1/8 to 1/4 tsp in orange juice every morning and night and it was completely gone in a week! I see now they have it in pill form in your health food stores!! Please talk to natural health practioner or a naturalpathic doctor, they can really help without side effects!!!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Mmm turmeric, I'll have to try that out :)

Kinda like the golf ball suggestion I use one of those "dryer balls" - I keep it under my desk and roll my foot on it. It's sort of like a foot massage as it has small nubs all over.

Ice packs are good too.

Mine flares up whenever I run. So I haven't been running much as of late until this past Tuesday I made the dumb move of running 2 miles and yowzers...could barely walk yesterday.