High Blood pressure - MUST LOSE WEIGHT

Options
Hi again,

Just sharing my story with the world (as you do)! I had a hernia operation this week and during the pre op test found my blood pressure to be sky high! It was recorded on the day of the op at 150/120 and today it was recorded at 150/110.
Clearly I need to shed some weight to help me drop this as it is dangerously high at the moment. I'm only 31 and the docs are shocked to see it so high. I have a history of it in the family - but that's no excuse I am targeting myself to lose 40lb. So just wondering if anybody has similar stories or experiences that can help me with advise and positive messages.

Thanks x

Replies

• gponter79
    gponter79 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    To add to that, as I have just had an operation I won't be doing any major exercises for a few good weeks yet. So this is going to have to be some serious dietary changes!
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Mine was about the same as yours a few months ago. I am 29 years old, work out regularly and am at a healthy weight. Still super high! They ended up putting me on medication for it and it is back to normal. It runs in my family also. You may end up having to be medicated if it is a hereditary thing. Definitely work on eating healthy and working out though. At least see if that helps before you have to resort to medication.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I actually had a doctor's appointment today, and discovered that I have low blood pressure and did some reading about that today - and with it came lots of results about how to LOWER your blood pressure - one of which is to really really watch your salt (sodium) intake.

Here's an article that you may find informative: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article1839506.ece

Good luck! You will do it :)
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hi, I know what you mean. I have been on blood pressure medicine for almost 3 years now and I will be 31 in September. I have a family history of heart disease and high blood pressure so I guess I get it honest, but I am also very overweight for my height and age. Changing what you eat is a good place to start, especially if you just had surgery. Fresh fruits and veggies, lean meat, and lots of water is what I was told by my doctor. Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend if you need somebody else :)
  • Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    Options
    I had high blood pressure too. In a college dorm, its easy to load up on junk food. Once I started eating right and excersising, my blood pressure when down to a little bit above normal. My dad and grandpa have to take blood pressure medicine, and I am trying to stay as far away from that as I possibly can!
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    High blood pressure runs in my family as well and mine tends to creep up if I don't eat right or exercise. Since I refuse to take medication for something I can control through diet and exercise, I work out 4-5 times a week and am in the process of improving my diet. I have the advantage of having a student nurse (my daughter) at home and she checks my BP on a regular basis. Good luck on your journey! :smile:
  • NeshBeMe
    NeshBeMe Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are NOT alone! I was recorded at 156/92 after Thanksgiving and started taking medicine ASAP for it (I'm 32 yrs old.) Both of my grandparents died in there late 30s from heart attacks and my mom has had one in her 40s. Since joining MFP, I've lost some weight, started eating healthier and is now more mobile. I am B/P medicine free for a month now! I've decreased the amount of stress in my life and try not to sweat the small stuff!! I'm so thankful for MFP because I can always find positivity here when I am having a bad day. Recording what you eat allows you to control your daily sodium intake as well!!
  • sweetmeka238
    Options
    HBP also runs in my family and my pressure runs high from time to time. I am 28 and mines is controlled by meds (which I hate taking meds..I'm too young for this). With the assistance of the meds of course, I have kept mine in the normal range by cutting back on fast food, stopped cooking/seasoning my food with salt, using salty condiments (hot sauce..), and avoiding pre-packaged food as much as possible because salt is used as a preservative. I avoid frozen meals, canned veggies, pre-packed lunch meats... And I try to drink a lot of water. Once you become aware of the amount of salt in everyday things, you'll start to avoid them.

Also watch your stress levels and breathing. Sometimes you should take a moment, close your eyes, and take BIG DEEP breaths. Fill your lungs to capacity and exhale all the way (do it 5 or 6 times back to back with your eyes closed). Doing this a few times a day helps with my stress and lowers my pressure. Do you snore (sleep apnea can contribute to HBP)?

You can do it!!! It's a little scary at first, but this scare should be motivation. You are not alone, let's do this together. Add me as a friend if you'd like and we can motivate each other!
  • gponter79
    Options
    Thanks for all the reply's here folks - always good to share a problem. I joined MFP about 2 yrs ago and lost around 2 stone (28lb) - after straying away and being stupid I'm pretty much back at square one (245lb) so I know I can do it again,
    Having this small health scare and seeing the serious look on doctors faces is the ultimate driving force to get myself sorted out.
  • gponter79
    Options
    Had another check-up at docs today and BP has come down to 150/90 which is still higher than normal but reduced from 150/120 in a week is a great difference.