Army Wife Blues

Options
My husband is on his second tour to Iraq and he's been gone for 4 months already. I've been doing really good with staying on my diet but I didn't hear from him for 3 days and I started to worry and ate a few slices of pizza, a brownie, and so on. I don't want to do that everytime he can't call. Anyone know a better way to relieve stress? I heard that pilates and yoga and great for stress but are they mostly for toning or weightloss? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Replies

• proudarmywife06
    proudarmywife06 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My husband is on his second tour to Iraq and he's been gone for 4 months already. I've been doing really good with staying on my diet but I didn't hear from him for 3 days and I started to worry and ate a few slices of pizza, a brownie, and so on. I don't want to do that everytime he can't call. Anyone know a better way to relieve stress? I heard that pilates and yoga and great for stress but are they mostly for toning or weightloss? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)
  • chubbymom
    Options
    Bless you and your family. Thank you for being a wife to a wonderful man. I think its just as hard on the wives as it is the men. :0)

My only advice would be to come here and post...and go workout. Run something to really get your heart rate up and get that frustration and worry out. Pray. Drink a big glass of water.

I can only imagine how hard it is for you. You and your family are in my prayers. If you ever need support please let me know.

God, please protect her husband while he is away fighting for us!
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Any exercise would help! Even if its cleaning the house, lol. Even if you can't talk to him, write down what you would like to say and have the conversation. I know it sounds silly but it can help.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • johnsscarlett
    johnsscarlett Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    First I want to tell you that I as an American I truly do appreciate the great service that your husband is doing for us. I know it's a tremendous sacrifice for you too as his wife. God Bless you both.

Now as to the eating just remember that the pizza isn't going to keep you from worrying less but it will depress you after you've eaten it. Like one of the other posters said just come on the site and vent or whatever. Just know you are not alone. :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    ((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))) I understand how you feel. And yes, I want to thank your husband and yourself for the service. My husband is ARMY retired and my daughter and son in law are both in the ARMY currently. My son in law is in Iraq. Exercise is a great stress reliever for me. Also, get together with other wives whose husbands are deployed, form your own circle of supportive friends. Go to the library and get some interesting books or start a new hobby/project. Just something to keep your mind occupied instead of reaching for food. As someone else said food is not going to take away your worries, it will actually make it worse because then you will be mad at yourself for binging. Before you know it your hubby will be back in your arms. Take care and God bless!! :flowerforyou:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Aw I'm so sorry that you've been separated from him for so long. While I am not a military wife and was very briefly only a navy girlfriend several years ago, I understand the worry of not hearing from your husband. I am a worrier when I don't hear from people I love, but you have 10 times more reason to worry and I think you're doing a great job being so strong without him. I'd say when you are feeling worried and anxious, go work out. It will relieve some of that tension and it will get you in shape at the same time. For the times that you absolutely must turn to food as a comfort, stay within reason and don't beat yourself up.....it happens to all of us, just get back on the wagon the next day and move on. Good luck and I'll be praying for you and your hubby's safe return :heart:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Can you take a class? If you are learning, and have to finish homework and such it will help to keep your mind occupied.

I am so sorry you are separated from your love. I too appreciate the sacrifices you are making on our behalf.

00020198.gif
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    When my hubby was deployed to Iraq last year, I found that walking and playing with my dog whenever I was lonely, worried, or scared helped me TREMENDOUSLY (it also helped me shave off 50 pounds!)! We have no kids, so my dog was all I had. I don't know what I would've done without him!

Just saw that you're from Alabama. I am, too! What part are you from? I'm from Montgomery. I also just noticed that you have 2 pit bulls I have one and LOVE him! I used to be really afraid of pits, but after getting to know them, I am totally sold on them!
  • tlitzner
    Options
    I am in the middle of my third deployment with my hubby. Everyone is different, but the only thing that has ever helped me cope is staying busy. Are you employed? Do you have friends to call on locally? I keep myself running as much as possible, otherwise, I end up sitting and worrying and eating. When that bug gets to me, I pick up the phone and call friends and family in my hometown, stop by a friends house, ask for overtime at work, etc. I am in no way an active person and would normally be content sitting on the couch watching TV, but I can't maintain a mentally healthy condition while he is deployed if I do that lol.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Praise God for your husband and all of our troops. I thank you families for all you have to endure while your loved ones are away.

Hang in there-this is a great site to hang out in when you get those feelings.

God Bless!