Attempting Low Carbs

Options
I have been trying to tighten and lose those stubborn extra pounds. My plan try a low carb diet. I am a big carbs fan. Everyday I eat cereal for breakfast and usually for supper, since I work 12hr shifts, they are whole grains, and actually good for you cereal, but for snacks I usually have 2-3 different types of fruit, peanut butter, sometimes I may eat oatmeal for a midmorning snack, and maybe a quaker 90 calorie pack. At lunch some veggies and a protein source. I stay under my carb count, but I feel if I only ate carb point from just fruit and veggies instead of carbs from cereal, grains, breads, etc. I would lose more weight and tighten quicker. I need some opinions. If anyone has some low carb snack or meal ideas please let me know, I need some. Thanks, apotts

Replies

• apotts
    Options
    I have been trying to tighten and lose those stubborn extra pounds. My plan try a low carb diet. I am a big carbs fan. Everyday I eat cereal for breakfast and usually for supper, since I work 12hr shifts, they are whole grains, and actually good for you cereal, but for snacks I usually have 2-3 different types of fruit, peanut butter, sometimes I may eat oatmeal for a midmorning snack, and maybe a quaker 90 calorie pack. At lunch some veggies and a protein source. I stay under my carb count, but I feel if I only ate carb point from just fruit and veggies instead of carbs from cereal, grains, breads, etc. I would lose more weight and tighten quicker. I need some opinions. If anyone has some low carb snack or meal ideas please let me know, I need some. Thanks, apotts
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    well, this would probably help you to lose weight more quickly. But it will be next to impossible to keep it off, therefore kind of pointless. As soon as you add those carbs (which your body NEEDS by the way) you'll gain the weight back. You're not making bad carb choices so I don't see why you're worried about your carb intake. This is just my 2 cents :flowerforyou:
  • apotts
    Options
    So eating cereals like honey nut cheerios twice a day, oatmeal, and the 90 calorie packs isn't too many carbs as far as grains and bread type carbs goes? I love fruit and veggie carbs, i just thought i might need to cut some of the breads, grains, pastas. etc. out. I'm not trying to do it for a quick weight loss, but for a lifestyle change, maybe some breads/pasta every now and then, just not everyday.
  • dantell13
    Options
    Hey there, I have been following a pretty tight low carb diet and it has totally been working. It is tough but it works and I feel great. I have lost 30 pounds since July 1st. I stay away from all breads, potatoes, rice, pastas. I also stay away from high sugars. When I get to my goal, I will then eat some of those most likely twice per month. My cholosteral and triclycirides have decreased by huge amounts. Again, its tough because I love pasta and breads but it is so worth it. Get tough, you can do it.
    David
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    So eating cereals like honey nut cheerios twice a day, oatmeal, and the 90 calorie packs isn't too many carbs as far as grains and bread type carbs goes? I love fruit and veggie carbs, i just thought i might need to cut some of the breads, grains, pastas. etc. out. I'm not trying to do it for a quick weight loss, but for a lifestyle change, maybe some breads/pasta every now and then, just not everyday.

Honestly, no it isn't. According to Canada's food guide, we need anywhere from 5-10 servings of grains each day. That will vary based on gender, age, and activity level. Sounds like you're getting around 4-7 servings depending on how big the bowls of cereal are. Honestly that's right where they should be. And the fact that you're going the whole grain route makes your choices even better :flowerforyou: No need for you to give up the foods you love!
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    As long as you are basically staying at, or under, your carb count, then I wouldn't fix what ain't broke. The mini snacking you are doing actually is a healthy way to nibble thru your day, and making healthy choices of what (and how much ) to eat, with exercise, will tighten you up. :happy:
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    Hi! I am about to cut back on grains and starchy carbs, also. Contrary to popular belief, we do NOT need those to be healthy. As long as you are focusing on mostly good fats/protein and eating lots of carbs in the form of leafy/non-starchy vegetables and low sugar/carb fruits, you'll be fine.

Low carbing works well for many people. As crazy as it sounds, weight loss is not always about calories in vs. calories out. Some people simply don't lose very well eating the the USDA's recommended daily servings of grains. There are TONS of success stories from people who have lost the weight and kept it off, so it is not impossible.

Oh, and as you get closer to your goal weight, you can slowly start to incorporate whole grains and/or starchy carbs back into your daily diet, if you desire.

Here is the Atkins pyramid:
    atkins_food_pyramid.gif

Good luck!
  • apotts
    Options
    Thanks for all your help, it is much appreciated.