If you don't buy it you can't eat it!

purplepollypops
purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
I know that sounds so simple but it works!

I have stopped buying the usual crisps and chocolate and stuff that I would buy for myself and my hubby and have replaced them with healthier foods like fruit, low fat crisps and low fat desserts. There is still a treat for when I'm feeling peckish but it's not "naughty".

Even my hubby is starting to prefer the "good" stuff instead so it's good news for both of us :happy:

I know this isn't going to work for everyone, especially those with kids but you should try it this week when you're doing your shopping. Put down the Cadbury's Dairy Milk and pick up a pack of Curly Wurlys instead (only 115 cals).

Px

Replies

• fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    I'm the same way!! I absolutely refuse to buy processed foods, because I know I'll go for those instead of healthier snacks like fruits and veggies!
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    I'm trying to do this but I still buy stuff for the kids to munch on and they eat my "healthier" stuff too! LOL! I always make sure there are lots of fresh fruits and veggies here but they still throw a little bit of junk stuff in the cart. I have cut way back on what actually makes it up to the register though so that's a positive thing! They keep trying to sneak though!! :laugh:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    I'm the same way! If I really want something bad in the house, I will try to buy a mini bag of chips or chocolate bar and eat it when I'm feeling the craving (but I don't keep a lot of it in the house).
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    I don't see why having kids makes a difference really. We stopped buying crap and my son is not ill, malnourished or suffering because he doesn't have quavers any more ;)

We have Nak'd bars and stuff like that in now, he loves them just as much as he loved crisps.
  • skypie23
    skypie23 Posts: 38
    I agree, people with kids should be more conscious, not less. DD is just as thrilled with a cereal bar or flavoured rice cakes luckily, and I can help myself to them too. I tend to eat the most crap when she's not at home.
  • Stephinow
    Stephinow Posts: 273
    My son has a sensory problem with the different textures of different foods, and some of the foods that do not make him gag and vomit are also not so healthy for, so I let him him those foods and try to give him as many healthy foods as I can. Wouldn't life be soooooo much easier if we could just give them what we wanted them to have and tell them what we wanted them to do and have it all just work out.
  • This has been my mantra ever since last September. I've actually begun to crave the healthy stuff now and if I get offered a 'bad' treat, I don't even think twice about saying no, the thought of it physically puts me off.

Practically a miracle haha!
  • LilLolo22
    LilLolo22 Posts: 229 Member
    I totally agree. I find it helpful if I pre-plan my meals out and then make my shopping list off of that. And only stock up on healthy treats!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    I don't see why having kids makes a difference really. We stopped buying crap and my son is not ill, malnourished or suffering because he doesn't have quavers any more ;)

We have Nak'd bars and stuff like that in now, he loves them just as much as he loved crisps.

This. Isn't this the time to show kids the benefit of eating healthier? I think the only reason I can eat as clean I as do is because we were given healthy snacks as a child so my palate was not completely addicted to processed foods and crap.
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member

I agree! Obviously there are exceptions, but kids don't need that crap either. We have always been far stricter about what the kids eat then what we eat after they are in bed. They don't get lunchables, pop tarts, or lucky charms, chips are not a snack, and juice is a once in awhile drink, not a every time they are thirsty drink. Pop is a once in a very very long time drink (maybe every 3 months)
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member

I didn't mean that to sound bad! I meant that I could understand how it could be difficult to get your kids to like the healthy stuff.
    I might not have kids of my own but I do know how picky they can be :smile: lol
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    I absolutely agree, simply don't buy unhealthy snacks, and you won't be tempted to eat them.

The thing about "I have to have unhealthy snacks in the house, because I'm married / have kids / whatever" just bewilders me. Give them healthy food, it won't kill them, and it may do just the opposite. Kids and husbands can whine all they want about preferring to eat stuff that's bad for them, but that doesn't mean you have to give it to them. Nobody, of any age, goes hungry for long when there's decent food around.

If they don't like it, they can buy their own unhealthy rubbish to eat when they're not at home.
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member

Absolutely agree, if you dont eat it because it isn't good for you why should your kids? We do have 100 calorie packs and some snack food but it gets doled out in proper serving sizes, no more. and there are lots of healthy choices here.
  • iluminadaonix
    iluminadaonix Posts: 79 Member
    I have to boys and I don't buy them junk food. I don't take them to the supermarket because they would ask me for junk. I buy them once a week a one portion size of whatever unhealthy snack they want. They snack throughout the week on fruits, yogurt, healthy bars and cereal with fiber and low sugar. They are pretty healthy. It also keeps me from reaching into unhealthy snacks because I see it I eat it at home.
  • Completely agree. I never understood the whole "I can't stop binging on junk food!" excuse. It's ridiculous. Especially more so for grown adults who do their own shopping. Most of the junky-junk food is in the same aisle. Just don't go in that aisle if your will power is so low you can't just NOT pick up crap food in the store XD

It's an excuse people make for not dieting. Or it's a food addiction, which they have professionals for.

Otherwise, just stop buying junk, but more fruits and vegetables, and get to it! Granted, I splurge and have a serving of Chex Mix Dark once or twice a week, but damnit I'm still dieting.
This discussion has been closed.