Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

alternative to C25K for already fit person?

Options
Hi,

I have been reading a lot about C25K and I love the idea, I have never run before, but I am reasonably fit (I do cardio/strength workouts 4-5 times a week)

Any tips on a program I could follow that would ease me into running, but is more suitable for someone that already has a basic level of fitness?

Maybe Gym25K rather than couch to 5K lol! :)

Replies

• jimmy_jenkins
    Options
    The bridge to 10k might be good for you. It takes 6 weeks to complete!

The first week looks like this....

Week 1 Duration: 53 min.
    Run 10 min/walk 1 min Repeat x 4.
  • moxette
    moxette Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Check out any of the free 5k running programs online. Just google it. Active.com often has some good ones too.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Running is much different than any other form of cardio. It's a different breathing method, works different parts of your body, and is 80% MENTAL. I was "fit" before I started running, and I couldn't run for 1 minute intervals AT ALL when I began. It's something you definitely have to get conditioned too.

I'd say to still start off at c25k. It eases you into running. Also, if you're finding it easier than you think it should be, try upping your speeds. Running at 7.0 mph for 1-2 minute intervals isn't as easy as it might sound.

C25K is a great starting point for anyone really. I didn't start it right from the couch in the least, but it still took awhile to condition to it and really grasp the concept of running and what i needed to do to be successful at it.
  • nadiambe13
    nadiambe13 Posts: 25
    Options
    You could also opt to try with C25K, and you may find you move through the intensities quicker, but still get a wicked workout, or do the C210K program. My running partner last summer was much fitter than I and a seasoned runner, and I was a beginner. We did the C210K together, and were each able to get a lot out of it.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Google 5k or 10k training programs. There are a lot out there so you should be able to find one that works for you.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    You could still do c25k, but move faster, such as change jog to fast jog and walk to slow jog. Also as suggested you could do the b210k.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    If you find starting at week 1 of the c25k is easy, start at a week further along.
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Have a look at the Runners World website - they have a great range of training programmes and may have one you like the look of,
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/defaulttraining.asp?v=1

This is the UK site ....
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try it first?

All begginning running programs are pretty much the same. Start with run/walk intervals and then gradually move to running the entire duration.

I tell people don't be afraid to repeat a week on C25K, well don't be afraid to skip one either.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Start further into the program if you can. I loved C25K!
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    http://www.halhigdon.com/ Lots of good training programs there for different fitness levels. Good Luck!
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have been reading a lot about C25K and I love the idea, I have never run before, but I am reasonably fit (I do cardio/strength workouts 4-5 times a week)

Any tips on a program I could follow that would ease me into running, but is more suitable for someone that already has a basic level of fitness?

Maybe Gym25K rather than couch to 5K lol! :)

I started on week 2 because I had already been running a little, maybe you could start on week 3 or 4 and go from there on the C25K.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try it first?

All begginning running programs are pretty much the same. Start with run/walk intervals and then gradually move to running the entire duration.

I tell people don't be afraid to repeat a week on C25K, well don't be afraid to skip one either.

Exactly.
    You might be able to start off at week 3 or week 4.. Give it a shot and see where you fit in and continue from there.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I would say go for the C25K program but as you are fitter you will be able to run faster in the running sections! A friend of mine did this program, she could run for 5 miles non stop at 12-13 minutes per mile. By the time she had finished the programme she was down to a 9-10 minute mile and now runs 5 miles in around 45 minutes!

B x
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Edit: Oops, don't know what happened here!
  • BerryH
    Options
    Edit: Or here!
  • BerryH
    Options
    I thought I was fit before I started running. Believe me, if you don't already run, you'll find it tough. I recommend starting C25K, then if you find it easy, progress to week three or four. When you finish it THEN do the bridge to 10K.

Here's some beginner's running tips I put together that might help:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/242281-20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started
  • RhysUK
    RhysUK Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies everyone . I think I'll have a go at the later weeks , had a quick trial on treadmill, reasonably comfortable doing intervals of 5 mins @ 12kph and 3 mins walk @ 6 kph for 40 mins or so it wasn't easy but i think i could get into it. I think the challenge will be to fit the program around my strength and other cardiovascular training . I will keep you Guys posted :-)