Diet Pills and 100 cal snacks

Options
I have friends that have used SlimQuick and even prescription meds to assist in their weight loss with no workouts might I add. I've been considering them but I am very nervous about it. I would like to know what my MFP folks think. Also, I often use 100 cal snacks as daily snacks and recently noticed these low cal items seem to be high in sodium. Though the hold me over I don't want the extra soduim and would like your take on this as well.

Thanks In Advance!

Replies

• ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Anything worth having in life requires work. Don't take shortcuts.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I did diet pills for a while and I did those weight but I didn't learn how to eat healthy and packed it all back on.

I'd rather learn how to eat healthier so I can keep the weight off.
  • mommyoftwins05
    mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I do the 100 calorie snacks and I'm losing weight :) I like the chocolate covered pretzels to help with my chocolate cravings
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    i agree...if its a quick fix, and its easy..its not gonna last!!!
  • jmconway1
    jmconway1 Posts: 29
    Options
    I always was warned away from using any kind of diet supplement or pills. They mess with your heart rate for one, but they also screw up your metabolism if you're on them long enough (i don't know how long that is though)... Anyway, the best way to lose and keep it off is to lose the weight and build muscle. Muscle no doubt improves your metabolism which means a cheat day every now and then won't really effect you. The pills are appealing because of the supposed fast results, but the old fashioned way creates lasting results. And if you're anything like me, you probably don't want to go on a diet, lose weight, gain it back and then have to go on another one. Much easier to just keep it off!
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I think all those diet pills and "quick fix" products are just temp.. What are you going to do after taking the pills? I would much rather make a lifestyle change and to where its manageable even after getting to your goal. Good luck!
  • scantrll
    scantrll Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I am firmly against diet pills because everyone that I know that uses them, once they stop gain everything back plus some. This is a lifestyle change, not a diet.

Have you thought about making your own 100 calorie snacks? Get the little ziplock snack bags and put in 100 cal worth of almonds, or grapes or anything like that. Make enough for the week on Sunday and then you have a healthy, lower sodium version. In the dried fruit section they now have 100 cal packages of raisins and other dried fruit. Just something to look at vs the highly processed foods!
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    My views on diet pills are NO. Yes, I Iost weight on them but they screwed with my body more than it was worth.
    Snacks:Maybe package up veggies (celery and peantbutter-mmm), fruit. These things are filling bc theyre full of water and fresh veggies, you can almost eat AS MUCH as you want and youll be ok on cals
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Just say NO! You are doing it the right way by making behaviour and lifestyle changes. You didn't gain it over night. You won't lose it overnight - at least not in a healthy way. Just keep up the keeping up. Your body will adapt and you will lose weight. You'll get there. MFP buddies are SOO much better for you than diet pills - and we don't cost anything.

:wink:
  • poptastic
    poptastic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Diet pills are really bad for you and not a long term solution.

I'd also try and lay off the "low-calorie" snacks as they can be packed with loads of weird additives and things that confuse your body. If you're hungry eat real food like a banana (under 100 cals) or a handful of unsalted nuts. That will keep you fulled for longer and give your body real fuel.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Save your money on the "pills" - there is a reason they all come with a recommended diet plan. The calorie restriction is what works. Pills can wreak havoc with your system and some can be downright dangerous.

As for 100 cal snack packs...just b/c it's only 100 cals doesn't mean it's good for you. While they work for portion control, most of them are just processed junk food. They are also expensive, so if you want to eat them as a daily "treat," just buy in bulk and portion them yourself.

Lots of things are 100 cals or less and SO much better for you: like a piece of fruit or cheese, a couple of slices of turkey or ham on whole grain crackers, half cup of yogurt, sliced veggies, etc.
  • jenfitz34
    jenfitz34 Posts: 31
    Options
    With any "quick fix", you risk hurting your body and causing irriversible damage. Being skinny isn't really worth your health.
    Slow and steady may seem monotonous, but its worth it because it means you are making new habits that will stick with you for life. Please reconsider jumping on this bandwagon. You can lose weight the proper way..... You got everyone here at MFP to help encourage you in your fight. (Yes, I say fight because losing weight is just that.... A FIGHT! I just lost 32 lbs and fought every step of the way)
    Don't be discouraged. Try changing one habit at a time, without changing EVERYTHING you are doing at once (cause this never works) and you will be surprised at how fast the weight will come off with 1/2 hour of exercise daily.
    Don't give up.... YOU can do it.
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Believe me I have tried them all over the years and with my age comes this wisdom: There is NO magic pill! There is NO shortcut! Do yourself a favor and save your money for a good HRM or gym membership. Eating healthy food to fuel your body and working out to build muscle and burn fat may be slow but it is a lifestyle change not a diet and something that you can live with for a lifetime.
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Yikes! There are more benefits to working out than just weight loss. I think every body needs exercised. I'm not sure what SlimQuick is but I would not encourage you to take anything that could ultimately be harmful to your health. Also, just because there are medicines for weight loss does not mean that they come without a price to your body. I've learned that it takes time, it is SO worth the time, and yeah, losing weight fast is great and all that but the bigger picture is having a healthy body for as long as you're here. Good Luck!
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I know it's doable naturally and I wouldn't pump my body full of weight loss chemicals. Take it one day at a time and relearn to eat correctly, add in exercise and you have the "magic" formula for getting to the weight you want :) I think the 100 cal packs aren't necessarily bad but just having a piece of fruit or doing some veggies are a better option (you get vitamins, nutrients and fiber). I wish you the best of the luck on your journey!
  • leahdanbury
    leahdanbury Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    my doc prescribed me some diet pills too...i didn't take them and i find that with a little self control i am losing weight on my own...which gives me a better self of accomplishment. I also buy the 100 cal snacks but i don't eat them everyday
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Diet pills? hmm. Your choice, but what happens when you stop taking them? Kind of in the realm of 'dieting is temporary' thinking... which, for me, it isn't. For me, it's a lifetime. I will diet more days than not for the rest of my life. First, to get rid of the weight and then to keep it off. If I want this, then thats the reality I accept.

100 cal snacks? I eat them sometimes, knowing there are better choices, but they're handy.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Allure magazine recently explained the habits of thin people. Thin people do not eat 100 calorie packs.

Also, steer clear of diet pills and 'quick trick' promises. Basically that stuff is speed and is harmful to your body. Do it the safe way and lose 1-2 lbs/week with MFP. Log all workouts and meet your calorie goals each day (don't dip below them).

You can do it!

Don't put harmful stuff into your body. Life is too short! Those quick fixes are not sustainable long term. Typically you gain it all back once you stop the products. I've read that quick gain after a quick loss puts a strain on your organs!
  • vickyjennings
    vickyjennings Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Diet pills sound a bad idea to me ....
    I think the 100 calorie snacks are ok if you dont eat them every day, try to eat more fruit, after all it fills you up and apples strawberrys and melon are i think a great combo to take the edge of hunger.
    I drink loads of water as sometimes you are not hungry just thirsty, i am new to this myself so hopefully others have got some other good ideas.
    Good luck.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am firmly against diet pills because everyone that I know that uses them, once they stop gain everything back plus some. This is a lifestyle change, not a diet.

Have you thought about making your own 100 calorie snacks? Get the little ziplock snack bags and put in 100 cal worth of almonds, or grapes or anything like that. Make enough for the week on Sunday and then you have a healthy, lower sodium version. In the dried fruit section they now have 100 cal packages of raisins and other dried fruit. Just something to look at vs the highly processed foods!

GREAT idea! Use the small little ziplocks, buy things in bulk to save $$ and measure out yourself and log it that way. You'll eat cleaner that way and be actually satisfying cravings Vs eating processed food.