Raw Foodists

Options
anyone on here eat a mostly raw foods diet? I've been reading a lot of information from people who do, and about the health benefits they've gained from a more wholesome approach to eating.

Replies

• TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    anyone on here eat a mostly raw foods diet? I've been reading a lot of information from people who do, and about the health benefits they've gained from a more wholesome approach to eating.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I tried it. . .I found it too time consuming and it made socializing almost impossible.

I still try to incorporate raw food (I'm anywhere from 50-75% raw still) but for long term, it was very difficult to consume the volume of food to get even remotely close to a "normal" level of calories at 100%. Also, I missed grains, meat and fish too much.

I also didn't notice any profound health differences. (not to discount others who do, just I did not.):flowerforyou:
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    i figured that'd be hard--I'm not aiming for 100%, just 50% raw, perhaps 75% whole foods, then leave the rest for whatever else.
    The calories aren't an issue for me. I could easily eat my calorie goal even if i did 100%-I'd just be eating more nuts and things like that to make up for the low cals.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I think everyone should be doing 50%. . .but that's just me. It makes it super easy to eat my fruits and veg. Raw nuts are getting harder and harder to find, though. . .with all the food poisoning scares, a lot of even "raw" nuts are pasteurized.

In general, I get the best health benefits from just staying as non-processed as possible with everything.

The other issue I ran into is I developed sort of a dessert problem. I would think. . .well . . .this is all healthy. But even a raw pie is still a pie.

I still do a few weeks of close to 100% after a vacation or other big indulgences to sort of "reset" my system. It really eliminates all of the junk food cravings for me.:flowerforyou:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I think everyone should be doing 50%. . .but that's just me. It makes it super easy to eat my fruits and veg. Raw nuts are getting harder and harder to find, though. . .with all the food poisoning scares, a lot of even "raw" nuts are pasteurized.

In general, I get the best health benefits from just staying as non-processed as possible with everything.

The other issue I ran into is I developed sort of a dessert problem. I would think. . .well . . .this is all healthy. But even a raw pie is still a pie.

I still do a few weeks of close to 100% after a vacation or other big indulgences to sort of "reset" my system. It really eliminates all of the junk food cravings for me.:flowerforyou:
    I agree with this. stuck to natural unrefined food, and your body will thank you. of course raw produce is best(it has all itsa nutrients) so thats a good fifty percent theroy.
  • MissTamora
    Options
    I would like to become a raw foodist but I find it so hard. Especially as right now I still live with my father and he doesn't even like me being vegetarian, let alone vegan (as I tried for a long time) or raw foodist.

Vegan foods I find easy to recognise because I've found all the shops that sell vegan products and got used to which ingredients are from animals, so I may try that when I have a place of my own. But raw food is difficult - foods aren't always labelled according to whether or not they're completely organic and unpasteurised etc. Fruit juice, for example, is never raw when bought from a carton, according to one website I looked at. And juicing your own fruit is very time consuming and expensive.

And as has been said, eating out would be impossible...
  • marqcheer09
    marqcheer09 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i am currently a raw foodist. I must admit it is very hard. i started about two weeks ago and what i did was one by one eliminate things. first sugars, then salts, then non water drinks, so on. and grains was last. it was much better that way and it takes much self discipline.
    if you have any questions feel free to talk. :)