I want soft hair! Shampoo/ Conditioner... which ones?

Options
La_Amazona
La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
I have semi long fine hair. I just got a trim about 2 months ago and before that another one 2 months before that.
My hair will feel soft and then eventually it starts to feel rougher.
I do blow dry my hair almost everday with a round brush. I sometimes use a protectant serum but most of the time I don't use anything. :noway: (maybe I'm answering my own question right there).

What shampoo/conditioner do you use to keep your hair feeling soft? Mine is shiney and healthy right now. I use a wide tooth comb everyday to brush it out. But maybe I'm not investing in quality. Also, what type of protectant do you use if you blow dry your hair everyday?

I cannot spend a ridiculous amount of money either. My hub recently put me on a budget of $25 a month for beauty supplies. :brokenheart:

Replies

• MiNiMoNkI
    MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Aussie moist is the best shampoo ever in the wholewide world :) xx
  • sschiano
    sschiano Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    AUSSIE!!!!!!!!!!

moist shampoo + 3 minute miracle + leave in conditioner spray before you blow dry it (the spray also helps manage frizz and makes it super shiny!!!!)
  • 3dreamweaver
    Options
    I like Dove for both shampoo and conditioner. After I wash it I use a leave in by RedKen Anti-Snap. One a week I use Joico's K-Pak. My hair stylist says my hair is very healthy so I guess it's working!! : )
  • Omicron
    Omicron Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    The daily blow dry is definitely a factor here. Heat from blow dryers and flat irons can be very damaging. I have naturally curly hair and use CHI heat protectant when I flat iron or blow dry. I don’t remember the costs but I found it at Target, I don’t think it was more than $10.

I would also recommend going a few days between shampoos (if you don’t already). Shampoo and conditioner strip the healthy oils out of your hair and scalp along with the dirt and product. Dry hair is more prone to breakage, split ends and doesn’t feel nice and smooth because the cuticles are rough and dry. Rinsing your conditioner out with cool water will help seal the cuticle of your hair and keep in moisture.

A damage repair or hydrating shampoo and conditioner could make a big difference for you. I just found one from Pantene that is a hydrating conditioning treatment for curly hair (about $7 @ Target) and use it in place of the regular conditioner. You can also look for a damage repair or hydrating hair masque that you can apply every week or so.

Leave in conditioner has also been a great help to me. Garnier has one that was pretty cheap, maybe $5 also at Target (can you tell where I do most of my shopping?). I use it after every shampoo and it has lasted for months.

The wide tooth comb you are using is great, regular brushes can definitely cause more breakage in dry or damaged hair.
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations ladies. Aussie has 2 votes! Yeah!

As for not washing my hair daily, I HAVE to or else I will be one greasy lady. It's not even 24 hours later and my hair starts to look greasy. And with fine hair- it ain't pretty. I get it from momma.

Maybe I should go al naturale every now and then... hmm
  • Omicron
    Omicron Posts: 48 Member
    Options

As for not washing my hair daily, I HAVE to or else I will be one greasy lady. It's not even 24 hours later and my hair starts to look greasy. And with fine hair- it ain't pretty. I get it from momma.

I had this exact problem myself. After doing loads of research I learned that part of the cause of this is your scalp trying to replenish the oils that are stripped by the sulfates in shampoos and conditioners. I started by washing every other day and it did take a while for my scalp to adjust and slow down on the oil production.

Now I can go maybe 5 days between washes without it looking gross and oily. I’ve also got fine hair so I can totally understand where you are coming from but in my experience it was totally worth it.

You could Google “conditioner wash” or “no poo” for more info if you are interested in checking it out.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I straighten my hair almost everyday so I totally understand what you're going through! I use the john frieda brilliantly brunette shampoo and conditioner.. I ALWAYS use conditioner, makes my hair feel so soft and nice and shampoo my hair usually once a day or once every other day depending on my work outs.

I also remember my mom telling me if you blow dry your hair on the cool setting, it will make your hair soft..
  • DarthCeltic
    DarthCeltic Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    sadly billy madison never finished this arguement
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    sadly billy madison never finished this arguement

Ha!!
  • La_Amazona
    Options

I had this exact problem myself. After doing loads of research I learned that part of the cause of this is your scalp trying to replenish the oils that are stripped by the sulfates in shampoos and conditioners. I started by washing every other day and it did take a while for my scalp to adjust and slow down on the oil production.

Now I can go maybe 5 days between washes without it looking gross and oily. I’ve also got fine hair so I can totally understand where you are coming from but in my experience it was totally worth it.

You could Google “conditioner wash” or “no poo” for more info if you are interested in checking it out.

Hmm I have a feeling if I google "no poo" here at work my filter block will pop up!! But I will check it out at home. Plus, I'm doing p90x and eww on the sweat that comes out of my body out every pore.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Count me in for another vote for Aussie Moist and 3 minute miracle! In fact, when I use the 3 minute miracle, I don't even worry about what kind of shampoo I use because the moisture is so powerful.

My all time favorite is Herbal Essense Hello Hydration - in the bluish green bottles. The shampoo and conditioner are so creamy!

Seems like I heard something about brushing your hair being bad but that might just be for curly hair.

And finally, yeah, I think you sort of answered your own question by admitting that you don't always put pre-treatment stuff on. That will only help to protect your hair from the heat!
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    I love all Redkin products...especially their All Soft shampoo and conditioner. They're usually around $13/bottle, but places like Ulta have them on sale and have coupons available all the time.

If your hubby ever increases your budget though, the absolute best shampoo I've ever used is a protein shampoo by Label M. It's only available in salons and it's about $18, but omg it will make your hair soooo soft and silky!!
  • keljo05
    keljo05 Posts: 173
    Options
    well.. this is pricey.. but something to earmark for later maybe?

My mom started me on something called Wen by Chaz Dean in the winter. I thought she was nuts but agreed to give it a try. I have shoulder length very fine hair and the idea of using a cleansing conditioner seemed crazy. I wasn't all that thrilled at first.... but tried it for 2 months. My hair was very soft and still styled well so that was fine. I wasn't getting my limp lifeless hair like I sometimes did with other brands. However after 2 months I was ready to stop using it until I noticed something shocking, My hair around my hair line was growing again... my hair is actually getting thicker and my itty bitty bald spot at the top of my head is going away. I know it won't fit the budget easily.. however I know QVC will put it on easy pay options often. I get the 32oz size and it lasts me about 6 weeks with daily washes. So while I mainly use it for the healthy new growth.. my hair is so soft and shiny with it as well, lol

oops.. forgot pricing.. I think I pay about $17 a month for the 32oz bottle and thats 3 payments of $17 per bottle
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    P.S. Almost forgot about Cholesterol treatments! You can do them yourself at home - just look for Queen something...Helene maybe...Cholesterol in a tub or bottle (recommend the bottle...putting your hands in that tub is a bit gross). You goop that into your hair, let it sit with a hot towel for 10-15 minutes then rinse. You aren't supposed to wash again until the next day so be prepared to stay at home with your greasy head. LOL!
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    If your hubby ever increases your budget though, the absolute best shampoo I've ever used is a protein shampoo by Label M. It's only available in salons and it's about $18, but omg it will make your hair soooo soft and silky!!

*sigh* I miss the days of $30 salon mousses and leave in conditioners that smelled so yummy.
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    And oops... it's $25 every 2 weeks. :bigsmile: But I have to get all my own stuff like shaving cream, lotion, makeup, hair stuff, whatever under that budget. :sad: I've been saving my money to buy some of the same stuff like my $40 foundation BUT it just takes much longer........... I don't like budgets.
  • fsugirl26
    Options

*sigh* I miss the days of $30 salon mousses and leave in conditioners that smelled so yummy.

Girl, most of my budget goes towards hair care and skin care products!! haha I guess that's one of the (very few) positive things about being single...I don't have a guy telling me how to spend my money!
  • La_Amazona
    Options

Girl, most of my budget goes towards hair care and skin care products!! haha I guess that's one of the (very few) positive things about being single...I don't have a guy telling me how to spend my money!

I also miss those days... of spending money on whatever I pleased! But I think that is exactly why I got put on a budget lol. Enjoy the days while you can lady!
  • fsugirl26
    Options
    I also miss those days... of spending money on whatever I pleased! But I think that is exactly why I got put on a budget lol. Enjoy the days while you can lady!
    [/quote]

Men just don't understand!! haha jk...at least your husband seems really level headed. Budgets now mean more fun for later! :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I will add another vote for Aussie 3 Minute Miracle. I color my hair, so I use Herbal Essence for Color Treated Hair. I've also found that the conditioner that comes with the boxed hair colors does some amazing things and makes my hair very soft and shiny. The only reason I mention all of that is that I alternate using the Herbal Essence, the coloring conditioner and the Aussie.

I also only wash my hair every other day. I have always had an oily scalp and skin but I don't find that I get that icky, greasy feeling until the third day now. I definitely can't go more than every other day! You'd think by the age of 45 that my "teenage" skin and scalp would be gone. :grumble: