Exercise Plateau

Options
I have been working out since July when I joined MFP. I started out with a Leslie Sansone DVD that I did every day. It had two workouts on it, so I alternated them. About a month later I bought 12 new Leslie Sansone DVDs and I have been rotating through all of them so I don't get burned out doing the same workout every day. The past few days I have been doing the workout that I started out with, and although I am doing it with as much intensity as I can muster, keeping my heart rate in the higher side of the target zone, I am burning about 150 to 200 fewer calories every time.

I know that once your body gets used to something it doesn't burn as many calories as it used to, but it seems like three months is really fast for my body to be getting used to a certain workout. I workout every day (at least 10 minutes and up to 60 minutes for now) and I know I am getting fitter by the energy that I have, but isn't it too soon for my body to have exercise plateaued like that? I am still losing weight, so I'm not at a real plateau yet, but I feel like I've hit an exercise plateau that makes me really unmotivated to keep doing it. It's almost like...let's just skip that extra 100 calorie pack or shave 100 calories off of my breakfast and not workout at all (I know that's not the right thing to do though, so I am sticking with it). I have started toning and strength training recently, so maybe that has something to do with it...

Has anyone else gone through this? How long were you working out before this happened? What did you change to get your calorie burn back up? Is this at all normal?

Replies

• BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I have been working out since July when I joined MFP. I started out with a Leslie Sansone DVD that I did every day. It had two workouts on it, so I alternated them. About a month later I bought 12 new Leslie Sansone DVDs and I have been rotating through all of them so I don't get burned out doing the same workout every day. The past few days I have been doing the workout that I started out with, and although I am doing it with as much intensity as I can muster, keeping my heart rate in the higher side of the target zone, I am burning about 150 to 200 fewer calories every time.

I know that once your body gets used to something it doesn't burn as many calories as it used to, but it seems like three months is really fast for my body to be getting used to a certain workout. I workout every day (at least 10 minutes and up to 60 minutes for now) and I know I am getting fitter by the energy that I have, but isn't it too soon for my body to have exercise plateaued like that? I am still losing weight, so I'm not at a real plateau yet, but I feel like I've hit an exercise plateau that makes me really unmotivated to keep doing it. It's almost like...let's just skip that extra 100 calorie pack or shave 100 calories off of my breakfast and not workout at all (I know that's not the right thing to do though, so I am sticking with it). I have started toning and strength training recently, so maybe that has something to do with it...

Has anyone else gone through this? How long were you working out before this happened? What did you change to get your calorie burn back up? Is this at all normal?
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    you weigh less now then when you started.

I have found, for myself anyway, that I have to work much harder to burn the calories that I used to burn 39 pounds ago. I recently started running because the elliptical, which I LOVE, isn't getting as many calories off per workout as I like. I do switch it up and change how and what I am doing, which also helps, but it is still more of an effort to burn the calories.

Hope it helps, though not sure how "scientific" it is.
  • get4everfit
    Options
    I have most definitely run into this. Have you thought of measuring yourself???? I went a whole summer without losing a pound but I was measuring and the inches were still coming off. This was because I was building muscle and it weighed more than the fat. 90 days you can definitely see a plateau and the reason is your body adapts to your programs. I have heard lots of way to beat this but one way is not to give in or give up for sure. You success depends on you sticking to it and being dedicated to this for a lifetime. Getting in shape is not the easiest challenge but well worth it as I have found after losing 70lbs myself. My kids see a difference in me and I love myself more. So stick with it.
    You may want to try to change your schedule of when you workout or the type of workout your are doing to spice things up. Also some have taken a week off of workout and then start up again with some other program. You need to shock your body. Whatever you do don't shock it by not eating because you will then through your body into starvation and it will not wan to let go of the weight. Please let me know if you would like to know more about the programs I have used. I have done most of them from home. my member name is get4everfit.

You are doing great keep of the hard work
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I am burning so many less calories than before, and having to work harder! It's difficult. I have started changing up my routine and adding different exercises although it's not helping me burn anything extra. LOL
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! 3 months is actually not surprising to me at all for you to notice serious progress - I noticed that my heart rate went down significantly within about 1 month of starting jogging. And I was only doing jogging once a week (doing other cardio and strength training on other days).

Really, this is an excellent sign. It shows your cardiovascular health is improving significantly - great job! Yes, as you get in better shape and decrease your weight, you might not burn as many calories - but you also can probably push yourself a lot harder than before. Try different exercises that use different muscles - like swimming. What sort of activities are more challenging to you? That's part of the reason that I started jogging (only once a week since I have a tendency toward knee problems) - I found that jogging challenged me in a way that the elliptical didn't. And I find dancing to be more challenging than straight aerobics - maybe you can find a cardio dance workout to try.

Good luck, and congrats on your progess! :flowerforyou: