Slim Fast 3-2-1?

Options
Has anybody tried the Slim Fast 3-2-1 thing? I have been eating the snack bars here and there, and once in awhile I'll have one of the meal bars for my lunch so thought I was almost there to doing the whole thing maybe I could give it a try but wanted some feedback!!!!!

Side note- I wouldn't be drinking their protein shakes because I use the Smart protein shakes from Complete Fitness already, but I'd do the rest with the Slim Fast stuff

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i did and stuck to it for about 3 days and my energy levels died altogether!!

best way is to just plain healthy eating!
  • kateq321
    kateq321 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I tried it but to be honest it wasn't for me. I was never realistically going to stick to it long term. I like my food too much :laugh: I didn't lose any weight on it either but again I didn't stick to it very long. I think if you eat healthy and exercise you'll lose the weight and also keep the weight off. It's a lifestyle change after all. :)
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My opinion (and bear in mind it is only my opinion) is unless you plan on eating that plan for the rest of your life, why bother? I lost 30 pounds by doing nothing fancier than eating mostly healthier foods, reducing processed and fast food, and portion control. These are things I can live with. I still have the occasional quarter pounder with cheese and an almost nightly glass of wine because these are things I couldn't give up entirely.

It is my experience that plans like Slim Fast do work short term for some quick results, but as soon as you stop the plan, the weight comes back.

L
  • apapandrea
    apapandrea Posts: 30
    Options
    I semi-followed slimfast and did lose about 3 lbs in 2 weeks. it was also a terrible experience, my energy was low, I was hungry very often, and I felt strong urges to splurge at dinner because their bars/shakes are limited.
  • cbratthauer
    cbratthauer Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thank you for everybody's advice. I did sign up on their website for their plan, and am definitely going to print off the recipes for the actual meals they let you eat because they sound absolutely amazing (and healthy)!!!! I'm just such a picky eater I feel like I'm eating the same things over and over lol
  • yinaely
    yinaely Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I tried it when I first decided I wanted to lose weight. I stuck to the plan and exercised about 30 minutes a day and I noticed I was losing weight. I lost about 7 - 8 pounds in 3 weeks. I think it was a good way for me to learn how to structure my caloric intake. Now I pretty much stick to the same principal of 3 snacks, 2 small meals, and a somewhat larger meal.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    My opinion (and bear in mind it is only my opinion) is unless you plan on eating that plan for the rest of your life, why bother? I lost 30 pounds by doing nothing fancier than eating mostly healthier foods, reducing processed and fast food, and portion control. These are things I can live with. I still have the occasional quarter pounder with cheese and an almost nightly glass of wine because these are things I couldn't give up entirely.

It is my experience that plans like Slim Fast do work short term for some quick results, but as soon as you stop the plan, the weight comes back.

L

^This

Check this thread out for a great, healthy approach to all of this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/233474-the-latest-diet
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I don't follow the slim fast diet, but I do get the low-carb pre-made shakes and mix half a can in with 4oz of unsweetened almond milk, whey powder, cocoa powder and some ice. Tastes like a wonderful chocolate smoothy.

That is about the extent of my slim fast usage. :bigsmile:
  • lambchop1042
    lambchop1042 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I tried the program too for a couple days (1 week) and had the same problems as others so I quit. The idea behind the program is 3 snacks, 2 meals bars/shakes, and 1 500 cal meal. I found that I could feasibly do 1 bar/shake a day but you'll get way too hungry for the other meals to make one of them just another bar/shake. Especially if you combine the program with some sort of fitness/workout routine, you'll be hungry a lot, it's not worth it. It's really not a sustainable way to lose the weight, maybe for short term goals but not long term.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I bought some of the stuff but not to follow their plan just to have as an option if i am in a hurry. I can find full meals for the same amount of calories as a bar or shake so it isnt worth it. Plus I LOVE eating. So i am not going to give that up. lol
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    i drink slim fast, but not for their diet plan. i'm not a breakfast eater in the least - the thought of chewing first thing in the morning makes me naseous. so i drink slimfast for breakfast before the gym so i don't crash and burn. for the rest of the day, i eat real food. unless i'm being naughty...:blushing:
  • cbratthauer
    cbratthauer Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Well I think I'm going to mostly follow the plan but I think I will be ok doing it my way?
    Breakfast-Smart Protein Shake (which fills me up until midmorning)
    Snack-Slim Fast snack bar
    Lunch-Slim Fast Meal bar
    Snack-whatever their second snack option is (it isn't their snack bars, usually nuts or fruit of some sort)
    Dinner-what they have listed for the dinner
    snack-whatever their third snack option is.

So I will still be getting fruits, veggies, protein, carbs, all that but all I will change up really is that instead of a meal bar for breakfast I will have my protein shake lol
  • bean177
    bean177 Posts: 75
    Options
    I love the bars! Often I don't get to fix a proper lunch and am tempted to eat out of the "machine", but I keep a couple boxes of the bars at work and can have one for lunch. They taste awesome and it's kind of like a treat if you let yourself think that way! Sometimes that little taste of sweet will curbe my cravings for days...!
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I use slimfast shake as a snack or down one when I haven't packed a lunch. But for over all weight loss plan I wouldn't use it. I think that we need to change our eating habits to a healthier way in order to lose and "maintain" our weight once we've lost it. If we so called "diet" then we'll go right back to our old habits once we lost the weight and gain it all back. Its a lifestyle change for me. Nothing can replace fruits, veggies, protein and grains. I don't care what they claim to do! God gave us what we need we just gotta eat it!

Good luck! I'm rooting for you!
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I do use a meal replacement for breakfast but slimfast's calories are to low and their chemical that "supresses appetite" doesn't work on me and I eat real food the rest of the day.

I do:

Breakfast: Nurtrament (370 calories)
    Lunch: Lean Cuisine/Smart Ones (400ish) + Fruitables juice box (70 calories)
    After Work Snack: Frequently a McDonald's Grilled Snack Wrap, or Protein Shake (300ish)
    Dinner: Anything (400ish if I did not work out, 700-1000 if I did)

I tried the slim fast plan but I was just so dang hungry!
  • sauerkrautpolka
    sauerkrautpolka Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I've been following it for about 2 weeks now. Have lost 15lbs since May 31st. I am doing the low-carb version (not sure if that makes a difference). Not eating any of their snacks, but my own (usually cheese, pepperoni, pickles.. am starting to add almonds to the mix) and a 500-600 calorie (and low-carb) dinner. I actually feel like I have more energy. I'm sleeping 8 hours a night and waking up feeling great. I get in some walking throughout the day (not much, but more than I was doing before I started). I don't plan to stay on the Slim-Fast plan forever, but I do plan to stay low-carb.
  • MBSNANA
    MBSNANA Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I started out with the slim fast before coming to MFP. It was good at the beginning. Breakfast was always a shake and lunch was a shake and back then they gave you a choice of things you could eat with your second shake. Now it is shake and that is it. I can't follow that. I still drink the slim fast for breakfast because I am not a breakfast eater. If I drink another one it is because I am not hungry but know I need to get calories and vitimans in. Best of luck what ever you decide. Kaye
  • KirstenMairi
    Options
    I've used it before, and it did work for me for a while...I stayed on it for about a month and lost about 10 lbs. I didn't have the energy level drop some people mention, but I ended up stopping because it was just so damn BORING. Even though I wasn't any more hungry than on any other diet I've been on, I reached the point where at lunch time I'd have killed my colleagues if I thought it would get me a sandwich instead of another milkshake.

There are probably worse diets but it isn't practical to stay on it forever so it doesn't really do anything to get you used to proper healthy eating.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I'm such a food addict, I would rather eat real food than a shake! :D
  • chrissypops
    chrissypops Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    i did slimfast 3 yrs ago for 4 mths, lost 2 half stone and it stayed off for 2 yrs ( until i was 6mths pregnant ) I used to have a shake a breakfast.. fruit at 11ish .. another shake around lunchtime, low fat yog or their snack bars around 4 when i got in from the school run, and a low cal tea, around 6/700 cals. infact for the first 3 mths i actually did it wrong and i was eating the huge snack bar from slimfast ( which is supposed to be a change from the shake/soup ) as its 200 cals, and your supposed to have the smaller 99 cal bars/pretzels if its a snack and i still lost around 2lb a week. I found having the snacks in between with lots og herbal tea n water helped boost energy levels, but its not really an ideal long term option. The website does say u can do a flexi plan, or the full thing and they have some ok recipes on there for dinner ideas xx