Protein powders

Options
Ahmee2034
Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
I finally got a smoothie machine and I want to know what you all think about protein powders. Which ones are best and what kind should I get.

Replies

• sjkcarter
    sjkcarter Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress Whey Protein, but I have no idea what is best.
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Whatever you like is best but keep a close eye on the nutritional info. Some can pack a lot of calories.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I've got unflavoured whey protein, as it costs locally $15 per pound as opposed to $30 or up for the canisters of "named" product.
    Be sure to check your nutritional info, you don't want to buy a "protein powder" that is really a meal replacement (more carbs than protein)
  • KMcBandit
    KMcBandit Posts: 65
    Options
    I used to use body fortress but it put me over my sugar by a ton with just one shake so I went to whole foods and bought MRM whey it's only got 87 calories per scoop and low in sugar too so I mix it with 8ounces skim and 1 activia light yogurt makes for a great breakfast on the go.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Everyone likes and dislikes them all. Just have to try, the ones most liked are Pure Protein and Jay Robb.

In addition to smoothies, many add protein powder to oatmeal, cereal and lots of other foods for that extra boost of protein. I have a friend who mixes the Pure protein w/citrus type crystal light which is very tastey!

Best of Luck and Enjoy!
  • misstri
    misstri Posts: 6
    Options
    I use body fortress like the first responder. Depending on what else you want to do with it, consider which flavor you want to purchase because vanilla goes the farthest as far as uses. IE: I make protein smoothies, protein whole wheat no sugar carrot muffins, added protein peanut butter balls.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I don't think brands matter too much. Check for other ingredients (if any). Whey is good for post workout or during the day. It absorbs and gets used quicker. Casein seems better if you do a protein shake at night to avoid muscle catabolism since it has more of a trickle release. Good Luck!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I'm getting a bucket of Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Natural Chocolate tomorrow. I've heard good things about it, and it uses stevia extract in place of the "artificial flavors" ingredient. I had Body Fortress strawberry, and it's pretty good, but I got sick of it. Whatever you do, don't buy the Body Fortress Vanilla. Tastes disgusting to me.
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i really like the Jillian Michaels Whey Protein Triple Chocolate Shake(she also has a vanilla)... I have mixed it into a homemade raspberry,strawberry icy; stawberry, yogurt smoothy; or i put it in my oatmeal or my morning coffee.. so many options and it actually tastes good... and it doesn't float to the top of your drink like other powders that I have tried.

hope this helps :-)
  • pixieval
    pixieval Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I use GNC Total Lean™ Lean Protein Weight Control
    The regular price is 30, but I buy it when it is on sale on their website for 12-14$, I buy a few at a time so I can make it until they go on sale again, their shipping is pretty cheap too.
    It was recommended to me by my best friend, who is boxer/mma fighter, and she used it when she was trying to get into a smaller weight class.
    She and a few others told me the berry flavor is a bit strong, but I love berries, and mix it with light vanilla soy milk, and I like the flavor.
    I use it for breakfast, and then if I'm hungry before a workout I drink it then.
    http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4018215

Supplement Facts
    Serving Size 1 scoop
    Servings Per Container 20
    Amount Per Serving % DV
    Calories 50.00
    Calories from Fat 5.00
    Total Fat 0.50 g 1%
    Cholesterol 20.00 mg 7%
    Sodium 60.00 mg 3%
    Total Carbohydrate 2.00 g 1%
    Protein 10.00 g 0%
    Metabolism Booster Blend 4.40 g 0%
    Betaine Anhydrous **
    Micronized L-Arginine **
    Carnitine (as Carnitine Tartrate) **
    EGCG (from Green Tea extrac [Camellia sinesnsis] [leaves][standardized to 40% EGCG]) **
    Caffeine Anhydrous **
    Trans-resveratrol (Polygonium cuspidalum) (root) **
    13N-Dipropyl-7-Proparhylxanthine **
    Guggul Extract (Commiphora mikul) (gum resin) [std. to guggulsterones E&Z 95%] **
    35cAMP (35Cycic Adenosine Monophosphate) **
    5' -UMP (Uridine-5' -Monophosphate) **
    Toothed Clubmoss (Huperzia serrata)(leaves)[std. to 1% huperzine A] **
    Supra-Amine Apple geranium (Pelargonium odorantissiumum (leaves) [standardized to 13-Dimethypentylamine] **
    ** Daily Value (DV) not established
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    As you've bought yourself a smoothie machine I'd go with natural unflavoured protein, this will be cheaper and lower in calories. Whey for pre/post exercise, Casein for evening drinks or when slow release is required.

In the UK we have MyProtein which is cheap and can be bought by the sack. I'd look for something similar
  • VanessaFaith
    VanessaFaith Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    GNC Whey Protein... they always have good deals and it's yummy! I get chocolate carmel... low in calories and very low in sugar. You have to be careful about protein drinks... some are packed with sugar, which can hurt your weightloss.
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • pittielover23
    Options
    I just use Whey Protein Powder (chocolate of course ;) ), the brand is EAS and I just get it off Amazon.