This is getting expensive :(

Options
kevin2406
kevin2406 Posts: 38 Member
My clothes were starting to hang off of me they were so big. So a couple months ago I went and spent $200-$300 on new clothes (NSV). I know that's not a lot to most women out there lol but I don't normally buy that much in a year. Now I'm in the same boat again. Those new clothes are too baggy and I'm gonna have to buy again. On top of that, I'm job hunting and my suit doesn't fit so I have to buy something that I hopefully won't be wearing again for a few years.

Another thing is...now that I've hit my goal weight I am getting hungrier a lot more. Fortunately, I get to eat more (healthy food of course) for maintenance weight but that involves more money too lol.

Don't get me wrong...this is just a mini observation. I wouldn't change a thing about what I've done:) I just never considered the misc costs involved lol.

Replies

• CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Oh, yeah. Then you'll have to buy more clothes when the weather changes again! Just think of all the money you're saving on hospital bills and prescription drugs you'll never have to take!
  • ScratchMj
    ScratchMj Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Well you can always try second hand stuff for now. You can sometimes find some really nice stuff! Congrats on meeting your goal weight but I can understand the expensive part. That is what happened to me when I gained all my weight so fast!

And I am sure you know to look for the sales....sales are always a bonus!! :)
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores, yard sales,ebay
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    It is easy to sew your clothes in not out give it a try. I have been doing it for years.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I wish I could spend that much :/ Unfortunately 3 kids in diapers is expensive lol. Great job on your loss! :flowerforyou:
  • kevin2406
    kevin2406 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Uh oh...hadn't thought of the seasons changing. Guess its time to hit up the discount racks at Kohls.
  • kenyarb
    kenyarb Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    2nd hand clothes or salvation army!!! That's your best bet...and you can usually find things with tags still on them if you have never shopped in stores like that!! you will come out with many clothes for so much less!!!
  • tawojcik
    tawojcik Posts: 67
    Options
    Goodwill is your friend (go to the ones on the "good" side of town). You can even get new stuff there! Just saying.
  • margonadeau
    margonadeau Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    you could check consinment shops
  • Dmfeldman
    Dmfeldman Posts: 1
    Options
    Let me start by saying I completely understand how you feel. Losing the weight is great but the clothes can cost a fortune. I have a hard time spending the money on myself to begin with. Here is my advice and I'm not sure what your circumstance is and if this will work for you, but as I keep losing I have asked friends and co-workers if they had any clothes I could have or borrow in my new size. I have dropped 2 sizes in the last few months and I have had to buy very little. Congrats on your weightloss and keep up the good work!!!!
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    YOU are WORTH IT!!! Make a few things work with accessories, go to a consignment shop for some nice gently used clothes and get on with living your improved, energetic life. Don't look back!:flowerforyou:
  • georgiajuly
    georgiajuly Posts: 126
    Options
    You're right! I was mostly wearing 14's (getting a little tight), so at about 2 months and 15-20 pounds down I figured I could buy size 12 trousers and ride them down almost to goal weight, which I figured would be 6 more months or so. Now, less than a month later, the size 12's are already getting baggy (size inflation on the manufacturers' part?), and I hadn't even gotten all the pants hemmed!
  • pixieval
    pixieval Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss!

I really only shop at thrift shops and yard sales, so my clothes aren't too expensive. I do see what you mean about the suit though, much harder to find very nice suits at yard sales and thrift stores, but sometimes not.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I'm buying all of my "in between clothes" from the thrift store. I really just can't afford to buy new clothes every 10 - 15 pounds. I kept my clothes from 220 pounds all the way up until a few months ago and just wore clothes that were too big for me.

When I hit my goal weight i'm gonna go butter up my dad and see if he'll give me money for new clothes as a reward. Not that I'm a mooch or anything :P. My dad is just my #1 fan and I know he'd do anything to support me.
  • kellyyjean
    kellyyjean Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you!:flowerforyou:
    I like to go to Goodwill. You can get some really nice clothes (name brand even) for cheap. I used to go every week when my son had drum lesson's near by. I would look for the 1/2 off sale items for that week. I'd spend $2.50 on some really nice items. Used to get fashion jewelry there too. It was fun and inexpensive.
  • misstri
    misstri Posts: 6
    Options
    I hear you, I'm in the same boat. Single Mom, can't afford to spend tons on clothes for myself. So happy about the weight loss, but its very expensive to replace clothing. When I'm really stuck and enough inches/pounds have come off, I do what I can to purchase things that will last longer regardless of weight/inches lost....things like non-form fitting pretty dresses go miles. I also figure that we can't get away without having workout clothes since we spend so much time @ the gym, and since Lulu type pants are so "in" right now, I tend to spend ALOT of time in my workout clothes...clean ones of course, LOL. Aside from that, having just one pair of ok-fitting pants, a skirt, one dress, and a few tops....goes a long way. Try your local second hand stores, they're great for all these transitional clothes and don't cost a fortune! Congrats on your success!
  • JennsRAQ
    JennsRAQ Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success!!!!
  • fortworthbret
    Options
    Well you can always try second hand stuff for now. You can sometimes find some really nice stuff!

Even easier to find in smaller sizes, BTW.
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    another vote for yard sales, and the thrift store. Last week i picked up a boatload of stuff!!! Only cost me a few bucks at the yard sales. BTW it's sooooooo much easier to shop at the yard sales, when you are a normal size, and not a 2 or 3x.
    Good luck.
  • brickok
    brickok Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have been doing thrift store clothing shopping since I started this journey and I had a couple of friends who cleaned out their closets and gave me their clothes that they would never fit in again. So far it has probably cost me $10.00. As for a suit I would go to Goodwill or something similar to buy it. I would hold off on buying an expensive one until you are at your goal weight.
    Congrats on your progress!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!