THOSE AWFUL STRETCH MARKS!!!

Options
So, considering that this is a weight loss and fitness forum, i'm pretty positive that i am not the only one who is self conscious about my stretch marks.

I don't expect them to ever go away completely. But I was wondering what people use to get them to reduce visably. I've tried cocoa butter, but that didn't work. I've seen that Mederma on the television a lot, and it's $30 for a little tube of it, so i'm imagining that it's got to work!!

Has anyone had any success with getting rid of/reducing their stretch marks after/during weight loss??

Replies

• SandersWifey
    SandersWifey Posts: 387
    Options
    I've not had any luck w mine..
    They have, of course, faded some over time, but are still very noticably there.
    I have seen the Mederma advertisments too and have wondered if it works and is worth the money.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    i want to know too!!!
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I have had some luck using Palmer's lotion to reduce the look of mine. They have also faded my gall bladder scars from last year a bit. Worth a try.
  • amberlee2011
    amberlee2011 Posts: 129
    Options
    The stretch marks that I have are white and on the sides of my hips. I know that they will be there for life but I am going to consider them my battle wounds...wounds that show my weight loss struggle. Most people that I know, even men who lift weights that aren't over weight, and my friends who are very tiny have them. I tried a cream I bought before off tv and I don't think it made a difference. However if you have the stretch marks that are red, I've heard that some creams do fade the marks to white faster.
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Cocoa butter everyday for about 3 months worked quite well for me. I usuaully put it on right after a shower when my skin is most porous.
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I tried Mederma after my first son and did not notice any difference....I am tempted to try it now that they are fading with weight loss but Im a cheap skate hehe
  • cleigh86
    cleigh86 Posts: 25
    Options
    Ugh I've had them on my inner thighs and hips since I was 14!! I don't know about Mederma, but I have found that if I use some self tanner, they are less noticeable and blend in with the rest of my skin more. Maybe not much help, but it's worth a shot since the Jergen's I use is only $7! :)
  • katiespruce
    Options
    i hate mine... i have learned tho tht cocoa butter after a shower and before bed + going outside alot helps :) thts just me. but when ur body gets the Vitamin D i think tht helps. with plenty of lotion and sun i got rid of half of mine :)
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I've been using coconut oil (yes, the kind you use for cooking) and it's faded them quite a bit. It's also a fabulous moisturizer (heels, elbows, etc.) Unrefined, virgin coconut oil is best. I get mine at my local health food store, but you can buy it on amazon or even walmart (baking section). And you smell like a almond joy when you're done! :)
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    You know what, I have learned to love mine however many I have!!! I tell everyone they are my battle scars. I won the battle of pregnancy and losing the weight twice before (although not as much as this time). I am going to win the battle of losing this weight. So, for the rest of my life I will be left with the battle scars, but I wear them proudly. They show all that I have overcome and accomplished!!!
  • chridow
    chridow Posts: 178
    Options
    my cousin uses bio oil and swears by it. her weight has fluctuated a lot due to pregnancy & other hormonal changes.

here's a link http://www.bio-oil.com/en-us/

you can buy it online or at local retailers.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I don't think anything will ever get rid of them or reduce the look now they're white and have been there a while. I think if they're red it's different, but I don't think *scars* generally tend to go? :cry:
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    Osmotics blue copper body firming cream. swear by it. even smoothed out really old stretch marks on my thighs I've had since I was 17!!!
  • eenorthcutt
    Options
    I use vitamin E oil from Walmart. It was only around $5.00. And it last for a long time! I have had the bottle for about 2 months now and It's still over half full! My stretch marks look SOOOOO much better already!!
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but this is what I've heard- the "white" stretch marks are actually scar tissue and will not go away. The red ones can be lightened a bit, and most of this lightening will come from toning your muscles and tightening your skin.

This is just what I've heard. I have white marks on my sides (aka love handles) and my breasts because of growth spurts and weight gain. I have red ones right on my tummy, and I HATE THEM. But, they do seem to be fading a TINY bit as I lose weight. I'm hoping they become less visible as I lose more.

Hopefully someone can weigh in with more info! You can also do a forum search for "stretch marks" and get advice from previous threads. Good luck! And please share if you find a magical cure! :happy:
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to say that yes they will fade from red to white, but a stretch mark is damage to the skin that no cream can actually repair. They will fade however :)
  • MaryAnne1
    MaryAnne1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've really noticed mine are standing out more now that I've lost weight, especially the tops of my thighs which just look covered in silvery stretch marks - there's hardly any normal skin :-( I do find that tanning helps to disguise them a bit, plus I've started to really moisturise moisturise moisturise. I just hope this works!!
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I looked into Mederma, and it's apparently for "fresh" stretch marks. Yeah ... none of mine are fresh! I wish I didn't have them, but I'm learning to live with them. I try to make sure I get enough water, and I recently started using Palmer's. Even if it doesn't reduce the marks, I love the softness and firmness I'm getting! (And I love the aroma, too.)
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    oXGetFitBabeXo Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Try strivectin-sd I use it and it works pretty well
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks behave just like scars. They start out dark purple/red and fade over time to white. If you use any scar fading ointment you might have some success. Don't try to get a tan because scars don't tan, so they'll just stand out even more. Self-tanning lotions might help, as one person suggested, to hide them a little.

I have them, too, but I honestly don't even think about, or notice, them any more. They're a part of what makes me unique like my gallbladder removal scar and my tattoos.