ZUMBA fitness

Options
Hello i dont know how to calorise zumba!! i read that its up to 900 cals but i dont want to use that untill i know its accurate.. At the moment ive just put it down as 250 cals for my 60 min class.. This seems quite low to what i read on the internet but my zumba instructor flits between fast/slow and its not alwayss high intensity..

Does anyone have any ideas/info on this??
:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Before I got my HRM I put it as aerobics high impact and it was very close to what my hrm calculated =)
  • erzsebet_1560
    Options
    I did Zumba last week with my HRM and I burned about 500 calories in the 60 minutes....
  • lemonychick
    lemonychick Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I would categorise it as Dancing - choose one of the options already on MFP, or get a heart rate monitor to make your own category.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I'd say that's too low unless you don't work very hard and don't sweat. I have an HRM and it is quite comparable to the option for Aeoribic, dance, modern, twist (something along that line). I really bust my butt though and sweat buckets. In a 45 minute class I burn around 300 cal and I'm 5'5" and 136lbs.
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM every week and burn around 450 in an hour .....
  • shugamuffin
    shugamuffin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I burned 900 calories in one hour according to my HRM. It just depends on how hard you're working too. I suggest getting a HRM. It's been great to know what I'm burning.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Before I got my HRM, I counted my calories burned from my Zumba class way too low. My instructor said you can burn up to 800-900 calories depending on your intensity.

Once I got the HRM...she was right....my highest calorie burn during one of our last classes before the summer was about 800..so I was happy with that.

GET AN HRM! They are awesome!
  • becci_momof2boys
    Options
    I do a 60 minute class on Mondays. Last week my HRM said I burned 897 in 60 minutes! It was a VERY high intensity class. I do 45 minutes on Tues and Thurs. That I usually burn between 470 and 520 in, so I just put down 496.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Oh our classes are only 45 min....and we have a 30 min class during lunch...burned about 500-600 during that one! Happy Zumba-ing!
  • kellykaye_xo
    kellykaye_xo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I took a beginner Zumba class last night. My class also alternated between slow and fast because she was stopping to teach us the moves. I wore my HRM and burned 350 cals in 60 mins.
  • Karlirosem
    Karlirosem Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I asked my zumba instructor and she said its about 500 calories for an hour class. She is faster than me and hops a little more but I think it is about the same for everyone!
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    I burned 900 calories in one hour according to my HRM. It just depends on how hard you're working too. I suggest getting a HRM. It's been great to know what I'm burning.

WOW!! I am using my HR this Friday (just bought it last weekend) and cannot wait to see how much I truly burn! I know i burn a lot just by how I feel afterwords, maybe not 900 but heres to wishing! :happy:

Since using it I have noticed I burn a lot more then what is stated by the scales of burned calories on here. So I am excited to find out. For example, for Yoga it only has me burning 90cals, but with my monitor I burned over 200cals. Now I do know that HR monitors are not completely accurate so I rounded down when adding it, but it was an eye opener thati s for sure. Circuit training is another one that gives lower results then what my HR monitor provides.
  • JenFerguson1
    JenFerguson1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'd say that 250 calories is WAY too low. I take a Zumba class 2 times a week and my instructor just recently got an HRM so she could see how many calories she burned during an hour of Zumba. She actually burned 1,003 calories one week and 960 the next week!! Our Zumba class has some very intense songs and then some that are more slow paced. Plus we do 2 songs of cool down and she still burned that much. You should kind of be able to tell by how hard you feel you worked. I'm one of those people who make sure all my moves are perfect and that I jump and put the most effort into the dance that I possibly can so I know I'm burning close to what my instructor is. If you feel that you are giving it your all, jumping a lot and sweating like crazy, then you probably are burning MUCH more than 250 calories:)
  • JenFerguson1
    JenFerguson1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'd say that 250 calories is WAY too low. I take a Zumba class 2 times a week and my instructor just recently got an HRM so she could see how many calories she burned during an hour of Zumba. She actually burned 1,003 calories one week and 960 the next week!! Our Zumba class has some very intense songs and then some that are more slow paced. Plus we do 2 songs of cool down and she still burned that much. You should kind of be able to tell by how hard you feel you worked. I'm one of those people who make sure all my moves are perfect and that I jump and put the most effort into the dance that I possibly can so I know I'm burning close to what my instructor is. If you feel that you are giving it your all, jumping a lot and sweating like crazy, then you probably are burning MUCH more than 250 calories:)
  • emmamolly
    emmamolly Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.. am going to buy a HRM..

And another quick question do you eat your cals you have burned so to keep your daily allowence or just have daily allowance and not count exercise.. ie i have 1200 cals a day i do 2 zumba classes a week for 60 mins a time on those days would i need to eat what cals i burned ?

thanks emma