Asthmatic Runners?

tulipskris
tulipskris Posts: 7
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
hello everyone. I am looking for some advice from any asthmatic runners. Here is the situation:
I am asthmatic (and have been since birth) and a smoker (I know, I know, can we move past this please). I have never been a runner so this is a new excerise for me. I am working on quitting smoking and have signed up for the Marine Corps Mud Run in October (5 miles with 36 obstacles). I try to run, and have made a quarter of a mile before I feel like I am dying. My problem? I know the whole "breathe through your nose and out your mouth" thing is the norm but for me, it does not work. I feel like I can't get enough air. (try to blame the smoking but my friend is the same way and she is an asthmatic non-smoker). I was wondering if anyone could tell me how you handle the breathing being asthmatic or offer any suggestions or words of advice?

Replies

• emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Ok first of all ... lemme ask some questions...
    I am a asthmatic runner... I have pretty severe asthma I use a controlled twice daily please a rescue 2-3 times daily.
    I started off running at 276 pounds...

1. Are you using a short acting rescue before you start running - if not this will help significant especially if you wheeze.
    2. Are you inserting walk breaks?
    3. Are you wheezing?
    4. Are you slowing down enough for you --- goodness when I first started with running/walking I ran a 16min/mile

:)
  • rissaface
    rissaface Posts: 129 Member
    I just recently quit smoking and I'm an exercise induced asthmatic, I haven't tried running again since I quit smoking. When I was trying the running thing, I took my inhaler 15 minutes BEFORE I would go running and it helped a lot. I have not developed the skill of breathing through my nose thing either. :)
  • Amanda421
    Amanda421 Posts: 261 Member
    i have had exercise induced asthma since i was a kid.... and i was a smoker for about 10years. i have never been "a runner" in the past needless to say bc i had the same problem. but now i do run/jog on a regular basis. i did quit smoking. and i rarely have to use my inhaler now. what helped me the most though was jogging slow. if i start feeling out of breath, i slow down/ recover. the whole breathing thing came with practice and time... good luck.
  • Housetroll
    Housetroll Posts: 109 Member
    Great post! I am curious to see the replies. I have asthma as well, both allergy and exercise induced. I take allergy med pretty much every day (generic Claritin or Zyrtec), but as far as the exercise induced what I find helps me is to obviously use my inhaler about 10-15 minutes before working out,. I have also found that if I chew some strong mint flavored gum it really seems to help. (keeps the throat moistened) I also keep a bottle of water handy and take small sips when I feel it acting up.

I have also found that gradually increasing my exercise has helped too. In fact, my husband and I just started the C25K! I am a little slower on the "run" part, but I am getting there!
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    i have had exercise induced asthma since i was a kid.... and i was a smoker for about 10years. i have never been "a runner" in the past needless to say bc i had the same problem. but now i do run/jog on a regular basis. i did quit smoking. and i rarely have to use my inhaler now. what helped me the most though was jogging slow. if i start feeling out of breath, i slow down/ recover. the whole breathing thing came with practice and time... good luck.

I have pretty much the same situation. What has helped me as well is inhale every three strides, exhale the next three strides and so on. Once I cannot maintain this breathing I know it is time to walk. The walking gets less and less every week! I started this while I was smoking as well. I quit smoking a year ago.
  • emmaleigh47 -
    I do not have severe asthma. I have to carry a rescue inhaler and seasonally it gets far worse. I do wheeze but do not use the inhaler prior to running, with only a1/4 mile, I did not walk. My friend said that I started out the quarter mile slow but gained speed (it's harder for me to breathe when I run slower) and then I was done at the 1/4 mark we set up. Yes, I can do the run/walk mile in16 min's.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    emmaleigh47 -
    I do not have severe asthma. I have to carry a rescue inhaler and seasonally it gets far worse. I do wheeze but do not use the inhaler prior to running, with only a1/4 mile, I did not walk. My friend said that I started out the quarter mile slow but gained speed (it's harder for me to breathe when I run slower) and then I was done at the 1/4 mark we set up. Yes, I can do the run/walk mile in16 min's.

Ok I can give you several bits of advice then.
    1. Use your inhaler before you run - normal people get short of breath but dont wheeze... asthmatic wheeze.
    2. I agree at 1/4 mile you shouldnt have to walk ... but youmight have went just a bit faster than your body was ready for. I always have a short sprint in me at the end of a race ... but wow after that its hard to get my breathing back
    3. I struggle to breathe the most in the first mile... after that I settle into a pace and my breathing gets much better...
    4. Try run/walk intervals for a longer distance... slow down and see how you feel!
  • Thanks everyone! I am going to use the inhaler prior to starting, go slow, and work towards longer running time. I appreciate all the advice and encouragement (and no one bashing me on the smoking thing)!
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Use the rescue inhaler first.
    Also if you are having more problems running slow it is usually a posture problem. Shoulder back, back straight, neck straight. It helps open the breathing passages and allows for more air to the lungs. Slouching also constricts the lungs themselves and sometimes stresses the heart more.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    I'm not asthmatic but my husband and daughter both are. My husband has to be careful more of the time of day it is when he exercises. We live in AR where it is hot and humid, he can't run a mile in that weather, although he runs a 6 minute mile normally! He runs in the cool morning and the asthma doesn't bother him. It's the humidity vs dryness and temperature of the air that is important to him.

You might also try the elliptical for a little bit where it is easier to breathe but still get the motion of your legs and still build up your cardiovascular system.

And Kudos to you for trying to quit smoking! I sincerely hope you are successful =)
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Couch 25K - It breaks the running down into manageable chunks.

Take a puff of inhaler at least 10 minutes before run.

MAKE sure you have inhaler with you.

I am to the point now that when I run (3x per week, still VERY slow) I only need my inhaler 1-2 times. When I started C25K, I sometimes used it 3x per walk/run session!

Stick with it, it does get easier. Some days are better than others (if allergy counts are high, my asthma acts up something fierce). My allergies are so bad that I can only run on a treadmill, which is fine with me. It's still exercise! :)

Hang in there, it can be done!
This discussion has been closed.