Plateau Question

Options
The scale doesn't budge, the inches don't move and the clothing still fits the same. How long before you call it a plateau? 2 weeks, a month, 2 months, or ???

I know all the techniques for breaking one I'm just curious as to when you call it a plateau. And does it matter what stage you are at in the weight loss? 100+lbs to go, 3 months in, the last 5lbs.

Replies

• kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I think I read a few months back that it's like 3 weeks. Don't quote me on that.

My take on it, if you've been doing everything and not fudging on things...not splurging/not logging, only giving half effort to workouts...for 3 weeks or more and the scale isn't moving, then I'd call it a plateau. Too many times, I've seen some say they've hit a wall and then when you start looking, the evidence is there.

If you've hit a plateau, I'd go through your logs and see if there have been changes there. If not, then change up workouts, add to strength training, eat more (this works for me) or even take a rest if you've been pushing yourself. I've found that a rest day can do wonders.

Just don't give up!! :)
  • MoonNoize
    MoonNoize Posts: 1
    Options
    Typically, a plateau is because you are either not eating enough calories or are eating too many and/or not getting enough exercise to make your body want to change. I think a plateau would be as soon as the metabolism slows down and body fat is being maintained or stored, not burned.

Just my opinion.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    If you're meeting your goals on MFP (not running at a deficit to the already built in deficit) you SHOULD NOT plateau. That means logging every bite of food and every workout that you do (even a walk). You're doing great so far...just make sure you're meeting the MFP goals to lose the 1-2 lbs/week in a safe way that leads to you keeping it off for good. :)
  • brndygrl98
    brndygrl98 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I always consider it a plateau if nothing's changed after 3-4 weeks. It's usually something I've slacked up on, like exercise or I've been eating more or less calories than usual.
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I started MFP in May. In May I went 9 days without a change and this month so far it's been 10. It's not because of TOM since I actually lost during that time. Overall the loss is good and maybe it's just the way my body cycles. Just curious when to call it a plateau. I don't think under 2 weeks is but if I hit 3 then I guess I can look at my food/activity closer.

I'm going to try and see if there was any thing common during both periods that is different than when I do lose.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I would say anything over 2 weeks is a plateau. Sometimes I loose a chunk of weight at one time. (I say it's the fat fairy, and I pray for her to visit daily ).
    ...and I do best when I eat real food - like veges and quality meats etc. No matter what the calorie amount is. 1400 calories of noodles does not equal 1400 calories of chicken in my experiences. (annoying!!!) so that is what I personally look at in my food when the weight is stalling.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I started MFP in May. In May I went 9 days without a change and this month so far it's been 10. It's not because of TOM since I actually lost during that time. Overall the loss is good and maybe it's just the way my body cycles. Just curious when to call it a plateau. I don't think under 2 weeks is but if I hit 3 then I guess I can look at my food/activity closer.

I'm going to try and see if there was any thing common during both periods that is different than when I do lose.

Keep logging and looking for patterns and you will work out your body's cycle.
    I've been using MFP since January and I can see a definite pattern where I lose consistently for a few weeks then stall for a couple, then drop down again. I would rather see a consistent loss but I have to remind myself that if I keep doing the right thing then the scales will move down in their own good time! I find it helpful to see my weight loss on a graph (wish MFP had a good one) so I use an App called Track Weight.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I've stalled twice in my weight-loss, each time was for a 3 week stretch. I increased my calories each time and finally started losing again. Last time after the 3 week "stuck" I then dropped 6 lbs in a week. Still too early to tell "what" happened beside starting me losing again what this last increase did.