Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Myth #1: You Should Eat Every 2-3 Hours To Lose Weight

Replies

• LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    You kind of brought up a good point. If you are burning sugar while it is sugar, then it can't be converted to fat and stored. So if you are below calorie, and you are eating small meals, you will burn the sugar you consume and the body will turn to your current fat stores for the deficit. I think that might be a little closer to the point of the article. You don't eat every 2-3 hours to burn fat, but rather you eat that often to prevent the sugars you consume from converting to fat.
    [/quote]

I quoted Swhitney above.

I couldn't have said it better myself. The article also fails to address exercise, strength training, and cardio and the impact that has with burning fat. I think different things work for different people based on their current lifestyle and caloric needs along with the amount of energy the expend.

The bottom line is consume less calories than you expend in a day eventually you will lose weight. There will always be variables regardign water retention etc. As an aside, I have started weighing myself daily and then averaging out the weight on my true weigh in day since my weight tends to fluctuate a pound or two on any given day. It is a pretty simple equation that we tend to overanalyze. I also think this "starvation mode" buzz word is just that... buzz. If you look at an anorexic or those in concentration camps -- that is starvation and the body in starvation mode.
    [/quote]

That is true about not recognizing how exercise comes into play here. It is a big help.
  • Ang_37
    Ang_37 Posts: 58
    bump
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Am I the only person that goes through cycles where I like to graze some days, and other days I'd be fine with just two large meals? :frown:
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    I eat 6 small meals a day and I have lost 94 pounds to date. It works for me to do it that way.
    Same here - my results are no myth.

When I was fat, I was eating 3 times per day - well, that's between snacks, and my snacking between snacks....
    Do what works.
    At the end of the day, it's about calorie deficit.
    I do want to study this more, because as I get closer to goal, I am more focused on fat loss and weight maintenance.
    Something to think about - THANKS!
  • jmvmisc24
    jmvmisc24 Posts: 85 Member
    I am severe hypoglycemia anyways. I eat three meals with supper being my largest (no much larger) and two to three snacks. Even my meals are small. This is one of the few ways to keep my blood sugar stable and high enough.
  • LJC44
    Am I the only person that goes through cycles where I like to graze some days, and other days I'd be fine with just two large meals? :frown:
    you are def not the only one! :)
  • Bump
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    I think that this is so true. My chiropractor pushes this concept, and I thought it was bogus as first. I had always heard that you need to eat every 2-3 hours, or 6 small meals a day to lose weight. I was doing this, and nothing was happening, or I would lose a little at a time. I finally gave in and gave his plan a shot. Well, since then I have lost 48 lbs and kept them off. I don't need carbs to have energy (another sign that you are a sugar burner and not a fat burner). If I don't get enough protein and good fat, that is when I get low on energy. I have successfully turned myself into a fat burner, and it has changed the way that I lose weight.

It is a hard concept to believe because when you are trying to change your body you are hungry all the time. But, once you can change your body, you will feel fantastic and weight loss is so much easier. :)
  • kiesh82
    kiesh82 Posts: 131 Member
    Another wack theory framed as fact. You should go 4-6 hours without eating? That makes no sense at all!
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    I eat (3) meals per day with snacks in between them. I also monitor my blood sugar every day...........works fine for me too! To each their own. There are articles that come out everyday from someone that needs to sell them. Just do what works for you..............
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,900 Member
    I had to check my diary to see how many meals I eat :laugh: I just split them up to when I feel hungry and I do eat 6 meals/day.

Also I am trying to lean out and support my muscles so I can look ripped, eating this way will help support my muscle while I lift.

To each their own and if something works for you then why change it :flowerforyou:
  • LJC44
    I had to check my diary to see how many meals I eat :laugh: I just split them up to when I feel hungry and I do eat 6 meals/day.

Also I am trying to lean out and support my muscles so I can look ripped, eating this way will help support my muscle while I lift.

To each their own and if something works for you then why change it :flowerforyou:

Best answer yet!
  • shelby623
    shelby623 Posts: 55 Member
    I can't stand when I'm told to eat 6 small meals a day. Its calories in vs. calories out, not when I eat or burn them. I would much rather have three 400 calorie meals than six 200 calorie snacks or mini-meals. It works for a lot of people, but I am not satisfied after 200 calories.
  • duharvalgt
    duharvalgt Posts: 319 Member
    It's whatever works for you; I eat 5-6 meals a day (every 3-4 hours) and it works for me.
  • I think the reason why there's a recommendation of eating ever 2-3 hours might be because if some people wait 4-6 hours they will like splurg on something higher calorie. Now for me I eat small meals because if I eat 3 big meals you can guarentee that it will be heavier and lots of unhealthiness. But whatever works for people. Sometimes its hard to stop eating after 200 calories. :)
  • keyer23
    keyer23 Posts: 114 Member
    This whole 2-hour eating regimine is total BS, concerning "reving up your metabolism", etc., and truly a "myth" for normal less active people! Talk to a diabetic, as in myself to tell you how this blood sugar thing works. When you eat, your body produces insulin, which converts the food (i.e. carbs mostly) to energy. This hormone is also a fat storage hormone and a hunger hormone. Insulin, converts carbs to energy for the cells, drives your hunger and stores fat - PERIOD! Talk about a vicious circle! When you eat every 2-hours all you do is signal the body to produce more insulin, which in turn drives you to be more hungry and as an added bonus you "store" more fat.

Really?
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    I doubt I could eat a 400-600 calorie breakfast, I don't get that hungry in the morning and I like to spread out my calories more. Normally I do a 150-250 cal breakfast, 100 cal snack, 300-400 cal lunch 500-600 cal dinner, maybe a 100 cal after dinner snack if my sweet tooth kicks in! that normally keeps me below my 1220 cal goal and if I am more hungry I will eat some of my exercise calories.
  • I normally only would eat dinner.Sometimes lunch.I couldnt' understand why i was gaining weight.So i went to the Dr.I pretty much murdered my metabolism.He told me to eat something small every 2 hours to get me going again.Well i have struggled to do that for awhile now.So this week i decided i was really going to try it.I dont know if its water or what but i got on the scale this a.m. and i'm 5lbs.lighter.I am finding that i am hungry throughout the day now too.I usually would never get hungry until about 6p.m.So i would eat dinner and then snack at night.Still only getting around 700-800 calories.This week ive noticed i'm not hungry after dinner and the breakfast i could never eat because i wasnt hungry...well i wake up starviing.I'm still coming in under calories but i am working on getting to where i'm supposed to.I guess what i'm trying to say is that for me,Starvation mode is very real.
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    I dont buy it....I need snacks in between