Chocolate Torte-SUGAR AND FLOUR FREE!!! (172 cal/serving)

Options
kelseyk14
kelseyk14 Posts: 95
serves 8

2 tablespoons hot water
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
4 large free-range eggs, separated
1/2 cup agave nectar, divided (I use Wholesome Sweeteners)
1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted, plus extra to garnish

Preaheat oven to 350 degrees F. Very generously grease a 9 inch springform pan with 1 tablespoon of butter. (If you don’t grease the pan well, your torte will stick to the edges. )

Mix hot water and espresso powder. Set aside. Melt remaining 4 tablespoons of butter and set aside.

In a medium bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer, beat egg yolks until thick and light yellow in color, about 5 minutes. Your beaters should leave a trail in the yolks for a couple seconds before the yolks meld back in. Gradually add 1/4 cup agave to yolks and beat for several more minutes. Add half of cocoa powder and stir in with a spatula. Once it starts to incorporate, add remaining cocoa powder. Continue stirring with spatula, scraping sides as needed. When cocoa is mostly incorporated, add espresso water and melted butter. Mix on medium speed with beaters until smooth.

In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until they are almost at the soft peak stage. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup agave and beat until soft peaks form. Add 1/4 of the egg whites to the chocolate mixture and stir in well. Don’t worry about deflating them – this will lighten the chocolate mixture enough to allow you to fold in the remaining egg whites.

Fold in half of the remaining egg whites, resisting the temptation to stir. Once the are mostly incorporated, add remaining egg whites and continue folding until batter has a consistent color.

Turn into well buttered springform pan and gently place in the center of your oven. Bake for 18 – 22 minutes until the center is set. Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Using a thin metal spatula, loosen the torte from the edges of the pan and remove the outer ring. Serve warm or slightly chilled.

You can make this the day before and serve the following day. Let torte sit at room temperature before serving.

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Can you use something else in place of the agave?
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    My stomach just growled. I think it's telling me to make this...
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mfultz0429
    mfultz0429 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bump. Making this for my friend's birthday!!! :)
  • kelseyk14
    kelseyk14 Posts: 95
    Options
    Can you use something else in place of the agave?

Sure! I have used honey and it works great! :)
  • ebilharz
    ebilharz Posts: 20
    Options
    bump! I was just today talking about how I haven't have cake since being diagnosed with celiac (3 years!) and how badly I was craving flourless chocolate cake! this sounds wonderful!