HRM

Options
Hey my MFP friends! I am looking into a HRM to be able to know exactly how many calories I am burning and make sure I am hitting the right fat blasting zones. I would just like your input/ stories on which one works best and how it helped with your exercise/ goals.

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit

www.fitbit.com

It's amazing!
  • 5weeks
    5weeks Posts: 38
    Options
    BodyMedia! 90% accurate and it's awesome :)

www.bodymedia.com
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hey my MFP friends! I am looking into a HRM to be able to know exactly how many calories I am burning and make sure I am hitting the right fat blasting zones. I would just like your input/ stories on which one works best and how it helped with your exercise/ goals.

Fat burning zone is a myth and is bull of S%&t. The higher your HR the more calories you burn the more fit you become. ignore the zones. In the fat burning zone you may burn a slightly higher % of fat, but you burn so many fewer calories that total calories from fat are actually lower/minute than at a higher HR.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Just got a Polar FT7 (purchased at my local Scheels for $109) on Monday. This is a watch-based computer and a chest band heart monitor. I LOVE it! I feel like my workouts are more accurate (even used it while playing my guitar and found my burn there bigger than estimated by MFP). It's very easy to use and Polar has a really good fitness diary at you can set up. I bike a lot so I'm already dreaming of one of their stepped-up models for cyclists.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Check your biology first. While you do burn fewer calories in the "fat burn zone" you are primarily relying on carbohydrates (simple sugars) at very high HR as you exceed your skeletal muscle's maximum ability to utilize oxygen; fats cannot be metabolize anaerobically and very high HRs do not lead to effective fat burning. (In fact, during anaerobic metabolism that occurs when muscle activity is pushed to its limits (e.g. outer limits of aerobic respiration and strength training), fat cannot be effectively burned for energy as sugar is the only viable source of energy via glycolysis and lactic acid fermentation.)
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bla-Calorie-Count-Pulse-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Stop-Watch-N-/270665263487?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Activity_Monitoring_MJ&hash=item3f04e8297f

I just ordered this 1 its just cheap but it will do 4 now, I get a calories count on my wii when im working out but wanted to c if there was a difference, So i wanted a cheap 1. :bigsmile:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Just got a Polar FT7 (purchased at my local Scheels for $109) on Monday. This is a watch-based computer and a chest band heart monitor. I LOVE it! I feel like my workouts are more accurate (even used it while playing my guitar and found my burn there bigger than estimated by MFP). It's very easy to use and Polar has a really good fitness diary at you can set up. I bike a lot so I'm already dreaming of one of their stepped-up models for cyclists.

FYI HRMs are only accurate during cardio type exercise, if used for less intense or even strength training they will overestimate your caloric burn.
  • Leigh_mc
    Leigh_mc Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    what do people think of body bug ki fit ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ki-Fit-premium-package-management/dp/B002USJO2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308253872&sr=8-1 ) its expensive but if it does the job it would be good, I am looking at having it on while am in work, and am not to sure that a chest strap or something like that would be comfortable to wear all day long with bending and stretching all day?