Avoid what?

GreatSetOfBrains
GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok so overall I eat pretty healthy and I was snacking a few weeks ago on an orange at like 5pm and I was told by a friend. It's too late in the day to eat fruit. Then I had worked out a bit a few days ago and I was starving and I had low fat yogurt and was told I shouldn't eat fat that close to bed. Now I know eating before bed is not the best idea anyway, but is there a list of healthy foods I should not eat later in the day or. . ?

Replies

• bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Eating before bed is actually a myth... calories in vs. calories out are the same no matter what time of day you eat.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Avoid dairy in the evenings.

That thing about fruit though is rubbish. Fruit is great for you any time of day.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Is your friend a professional nutritionist? Don't listen to her. If you are hungry, and within your limits then eat!!
  • karen0201
    karen0201 Posts: 15
    bump!
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Is your friend a professional nutritionist? Don't listen to her. If you are hungry, and within your limits then eat!!

This made me giggle
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Avoid dairy in the evenings.

That thing about fruit though is rubbish. Fruit is great for you any time of day.

You didn't say why you feel you need to avoid dairy in the evening?

I respectfully disagree about the fruit. Fruit is not great for everyone at any time of the day. I thought so too ... until I was told I am insulin resistant. Having fruit first thing in the morning for me spikes my insulin. I can only eat it if I eat it with some form of protein.

Everyone is different so no answer given here is going to be 100% accurate for everyone.
  • I think that fruit thing was on Dr.Oz -- something about how long it takes to digest?? Honestly people have all kinds of "rules" regarding eating, what you eat what with, when you eat it... blah, blah, blah. There may be truth to some of it but it's annoying. Just use common sense.
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    She is far from an expert lol I was just curious. I had heard the fruit thing before and kinda threw it out the window. Fruit is how I diet lol I love it!! I tend to go over on protien which I try to avoid, but my doctor says protien should help weight loss, but how much is too much ya know. I wish where was a book that worked for everybody. I wish we weren't all so different lol. Oh well, I did this before but it was a lot easier when I had friends around. Now its just me. Workin out alone sucks!!
  • If you stay in your calories and are generally healthy, then eat what/when you feel like. I've found that doing what's comfortable for you means you're more likely to stick to your plan.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    I think that fruit thing was on Dr.Oz -- something about how long it takes to digest?? Honestly people have all kinds of "rules" regarding eating, what you eat what with, when you eat it... blah, blah, blah. There may be truth to some of it but it's annoying. Just use common sense.

Totally agree with the Just Use Common Sense....
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Not every concept works for every person.....It takes some time to figure out what works for you. I can not eat bread, anytime! It seems to slow my weight loss down.

I have to assume as long as you are staying with in your calorie goals you are fine. If I do eat late at night, I try to just take a little walk for a few minutes. If it makes a difference I don't know. But I think of it as helping gravity move things along! Best Wishes!
This discussion has been closed.