my weight loss dilemma

Options
I'm really struggling with this round of weight loss because I'm doing it 'the right way', with diet and exercise as opposed to following any particular low-___ plan. The hardest part to deal with is knowing that if I went to a low-carb plan for a month or so, I could really speed up the process and see some results rather than staring at the same damn number on the scale that doesn't seem to be moving.

I know the general consensus is if you go low carb, you will 'gain it all back' once you start eating carbs again, but that's silly. That applies to situations where you add carbs back in, and then go ballistic and eat whatever you feel like eating and stop working out.

The thing of it is, I'm good at meal prep for a healthy lifestyle. I eat healthy now, lots of lean meats, fresh veggies, minimally processed grains, no cakes and cookies. I know that eating this way will eventually lead to the weight loss goal I'm after.

My problem is, I'm getting married in less than three months. I've got a whopping 39# to get to goal. I'd like to be within 10# of goal by the time I get married. The lack of movement on the scale is becoming a huge discouragement for me.

What would be the harm in lowering my carb intake to keep me in a mild state of ketosis (80-100g of carbs daily), just for say, 6 weeks, and then resuming my already awesome 'normal' meal plan where carbs are not restricted, slowly increasing back up to 40% of my calories from carbs, and of course, sticking with the workout routine? I mean, hell, lots of people live on a lowered-carb diet for the duration of their life for one reason or another, and honestly, I feel much better, more energetic and vibrant, when I keep my carbs below 100g a day.

I'm seriously considering breaking out the leftover boxes of meal replacement packets and going that route, just to get some movement on the scale and get my spirits back in working order, but I remember how crappy I felt emotionally when I was losing weight that way, getting so angry that known healthy stuff like fruit was banned during the weightloss phase. Sad thing is, I know if I went back to meal replacements, I could blow through the 29# I'm trying to lose before my wedding day.

I'm sure I can do that anyways,it's only just over 2# a week, I just feel like I need the boost of a modified-carb diet to help get me there, but after the doctor told me it was low carbing that caused my gallbladder issues (resulting in removal of the organ), I swore off low carbing. I guess now that I don't even have a gallbladder anymore, it's a moot point! LOL

Thanks for listening to me wine. Any rambling back is appreciated.

Replies

• Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    First of all congrats an your impending nuptials!
    Secondly, I don't know why everyone is so against low a low carb diet/lifestyle. There are people against everything though: Low fat, high fat, low carb, no carb, high protein...and I could go on and on...lol! I think whatever works best for that person is what works for them. I am a low carb eater usually under 100 per day and it works well for me. I have an illness that a low carb lifestyle is ideal for me to lose weight. I don't think it's the eating of carbs that makes people gain the weight back its the "hey I'm skinny now so I can eat whatever I want" effect (like you said in many less words :)
    Anyway, you do what you feel comfortable in doing and I'm sure either way you will look fantastic on your wedding day!
  • StrawberrySprinkles
    Options
    I think one of the things that's coming out in your post is that you're stressed! I can definitely empathize with that. You're getting married, you want to look your best for your hubby-to-be, and most of all you want to feel good about yourself and what you're doing..

However, you should take a breather!

Getting married is definitely a big stresser and it's supposed to be the happiest and (one of the) best day(s) ever. I don't think there is anything I can really tell you that can help you as I'm at the start of my own journey and still learning how to do all this without losing it myself...

But....
    But...
    But...

I think the best thing to do is try to stick with your healthy eating and exercise. Having been married for 9 years myself, I know that my husband wouldn't want me tearing my hair out and twisting myself up inside over a number on a scale. Yes, it's important to you to lose some of the weight, but the fretting and the agony that you're putting yourself though isn't worth it (and I'm sure Hubby-to-be would be concerned that you're putting yourself through this too). Slow and steady is the best way else you'll be in this same boat in a number of months once the stress of it all goes away.

I've read lots and lots of post from others who are frustrated just like you. I suspect the best way to handle this is to stick through it even if the scale isn't moving. Eventually, it will have to move. If you're following your calorie goal and you're exercising, it will move. Have patience with yourself.

(Is that your ring in the photo? That's one hum-dinger!)
  • fabi8081
    fabi8081 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My husband did a low carb diet and lost 56 lbs when he reached his goal he stopped focusing so much on the carbs on just kept watching his sugars. He lost 4 more lbs and has been maintaining his weight just fine. He still eats his low carb bread and pasta but is not focusing so much on carbs as he is sugars. I think you'll be alright.
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I live low carb. carbs cause me no end of trouble with blood sugar and lead to overeating. I am always restricting carbs and though it is tough it pays off in more ways than weight loss, i suffer ocd, anxiety, depression and mood swings if i indulge in more than the minimum of carbs so if you already eat fairly low carb and don't plan on changing a whole lot after you jump start your weight than I say go for it. there is nothing written in stone and life changes and you have to be able to change with it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds like a good plan for you. You obviously understand your body and how to keep it healthy. Good luck!
  • cuerpito
    cuerpito Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I agree, I have just switched to a low carb myself. It's disappointing to see everyone around you lose weight and not to see any changes on your scale! And I have an upcoming wedding, too - my sister's - and I'm the maid of honor.

Keep in touch with your doctor, do your blood work regularly and as long as you're healthy, follow the diet you want. It is true - you will find pros and cons for everything!!! What works for one person might not work for others. Good luck!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    The "right way" is different for different people. The thing that you want to look at is if it's sustainable for you for the rest of your life (with an obvious maintenance calorie modification).
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    First of all congrats an your impending nuptials!
    Secondly, I don't know why everyone is so against low a low carb diet/lifestyle. There are people against everything though: Low fat, high fat, low carb, no carb, high protein...and I could go on and on...lol! I think whatever works best for that person is what works for them. I am a low carb eater usually under 100 per day and it works well for me. I have an illness that a low carb lifestyle is ideal for me to lose weight. I don't think it's the eating of carbs that makes people gain the weight back its the "hey I'm skinny now so I can eat whatever I want" effect (like you said in many less words :)
    Anyway, you do what you feel comfortable in doing and I'm sure either way you will look fantastic on your wedding day!

Thank you :)
    I think one of the things that's coming out in your post is that you're stressed! I can definitely empathize with that. You're getting married, you want to look your best for your hubby-to-be, and most of all you want to feel good about yourself and what you're doing..

Well, the thing is, we've been together forever. I'm not stressing so much about getting married. This is a second marriage for both of us, so we dont' have the big wedding jitters. What I am bugging out about is the fact that my wedding is going to be on TV, and I don't want to be fat on TV. Wah!!
    carbs cause me no end of trouble with blood sugar and lead to overeating I am always restricting carbs and though it is tough it pays off in more ways than weight loss, i suffer ocd, anxiety, depression and mood swings....

Exactly. Carbs are like my heroin or crack or booze. I simply can't just have a reasonable portion. I have to nom nom nom til I look like cookie monster, with bits and pieces of carbs flying all over the place. I used to think this was a will power problem, which contributed to my lack of self worth. It's hard to feel like you're worth anything when you're a failure at something so simple as stopping when you've eaten plenty. The more I learn about sugar spikes and hormonal effects of the foods we eat, the less I feel like this is truly a problem with will power, and more likely related to the fact that the hormone surges are so intense, it's damn near impossible to stop without physically removing myself from the same location the trigger is presented

I've got an OCD issue as well, and you know, I think I'm going to give this a whirl and see if lowering my carbs helps with my compulsion. Lord knows I've tried everything else in that arena and nothin's working!

My husband did a low carb diet and lost 56 lbs when he reached his goal he stopped focusing so much on the carbs on just kept watching his sugars. He lost 4 more lbs and has been maintaining his weight just fine. He still eats his low carb bread and pasta but is not focusing so much on carbs as he is sugars. I think you'll be alright.
    Well rock the hell on. This is the exact type of backup I was hoping to hear lots of. Congrats to your hubs. Woot!
    The "right way" is different for different people. The thing that you want to look at is if it's sustainable for you for the rest of your life (with an obvious maintenance calorie modification).

I appreciate it, man. I've seen your success thread and was very impressed. You obviously know what YOU'RE doing, so I consider your advice to be pretty sound. :)