Tummy Flab

elle2bee
elle2bee Posts: 70 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
If anyone can relate, let me know. My main problem area is my stomach and sides. People keep saying CARDIO CARDIO & CARDIO. I cycle anywhere from 5 to 10 miles a day. About 45 minutes on a bike going 12 - 14 mph burns about 599 calories. I know I burn more than that since I go about 18 to 20 mph. I would say that is some pretty good cardio. I also do core and light weight lifting to tone at least 2 times a week. While I have lost some of my stomach fat, I'm not losing my side handles. Of course some if this is genetics, but there has to be some type of work out that solely focuses on these areas.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Belly dancing :love:
  • Yoga and other core-focused routines can target those areas. I just started really hitting it hard today with cardio and some yoga. Hopefully it works out! Good luck!
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Too much cardio will not only eat up fat but also muscle so i actually suggest not doing too much. As far as love handle work outs i super suggest Jillian Michaels' Trouble Zones DVD. if you don't like DVDs you could at least watch it a couple times to get some ideas but boy does it work and you will feel the burn!
  • not an expert, but maybe some execises that focus on obliques, I do Turbo Jam which is intense cardio with HIIT and she incorporates Abs into every move and a lot of oblique work.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    what stomach exercises are you doing?
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    It is NOT all about cardio. Yes, cardio burns more calories/hr than other types of workouts. But you cannot out - exercise a poor diet.

You'll see it posted here often - it's 80% nutrition, 20% exercise. Clean up the diet, and the trouble spots disappear. Add strength training and not only will you tighten and tone the jiggly spots, but the extra muscle burns more calories than fat throughout the day - win-win!
  • 3kidsin3years
    3kidsin3years Posts: 116 Member
    I'll be curious to find out, too. What I wonder though is, is it down to the diet now? Do we need to eat super healthy to get rid of that, then allow some of it back in? I in no way claim to be a fantastic eater. I watch my calories and do a fair job of staying under, I drink enough water, I eat my protein and veggies, I exercise 5-6 days a week and chase my three little ones all over creation, but sweets and breads are a huge downfall for me. I make space in my calories every day for them, even though I'm pretty sure that's the problem. Good luck and I hope you find how to fix those areas! =)
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    what dgfurman said!! Abs are made in the kitchen.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Also my dad, Mr. Nutrition lol, always say you gain muscle in the gym, lose weight in the kitchen. So a lot of it is diet too, I know I've watched my mom cut out white carbs and trade them for whole wheat and her tummy is flat!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    The answer that I post once a day at least....CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO, PROPER DIET, PROPER DIET, PROPER DIET.

Also if you have stretch marks dont expect it to go back to pre love handles because one you have broken the skin it has stretched and will not tighten back up. Sorry to be so blunt but it's just the truth. SOme people are blessed with skin that stretches without stretch marks.

I as well as a few million others wish they had that skin!
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Try Pilates. It works muscles never existed. Gives great posture and will help with the back fat.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Belly fat and love handles are the last and hardest. Google it. It took 3 months before mines started coming off. Good luck.
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    If you already that active you are probably at the point that it is more diet than workout related. Most people with amazing bodies say it is at least 80% diet.
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Diet and hit the weights, do some free weights and Swiss ball crunches!
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    In order of my priority

Nutrition
    Lifting
    Cardio

I have some extra weight in my love handle area....last to go...but omma do it!
    you could say i have a "hate love handle relationship" with mine
  • ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    It is NOT all about cardio. Yes, cardio burns more calories/hr than other types of workouts. But you cannot out - exercise a poor diet.

You'll see it posted here often - it's 80% nutrition, 20% exercise. Clean up the diet, and the trouble spots disappear. Add strength training and not only will you tighten and tone the jiggly spots, but the extra muscle burns more calories than fat throughout the day - win-win!
    Yes, what she said!! I have the same problem area and my diet is what makes it look better....and strength training. I eat clean about 90% of the time and I lift heavy 5 days a week with about 30 minutes of cardio on each of those days. Bodies are made in the kitchen, not in the gym!
  • ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member

Yes, what she said!! I have the same problem area and my diet is what makes it look better....and strength training. I eat clean about 90% of the time and I lift heavy 5 days a week with about 30 minutes of cardio on each of those days. Bodies are made in the kitchen, not in the gym!
    Okay, partly in the gym. haha. I said it wrong. :)
  • elle2bee
    elle2bee Posts: 70 Member
    Thanks for all the tips. I think it's come down to me just cutting out the white starches and add more veggies. I have the protein down.. I do planks, side bends, bicycles, crunches, and a few other core work outs. While I've seen some difference in my upper stomach and I have lost inches, my shape is still not where I want to be lower. Again....Thanks
This discussion has been closed.